Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
May 3, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #91 of 3,742
The Cayin i5 has arrived at Munich :beerchug:

For those who will attend the Munich Hi End Audio Show, please come to our booth at S--/T11, Hall 4, On top of the latest Cayin i5, we shall have complete line of Personal Audio products on display, please come to visit us and try out the i5, you won't be disappointed. :beyersmile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 5, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #93 of 3,742
Great look, and knowing Cayin's rich history, the SQ should not disappoint.

May 5, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #95 of 3,742
Are you saying with the paw5K I can connect the mojo by coax or optical and the internal eq will work to eq the mojo? Optical with AK120II the eq didnt work and coax with X3 and X5 the EQ didnt the Mojo. A phone with music player apps to mojo the eq does work. Now I5 is android so I can download apps to eq the mojo. My concern can I download other apps besides Hiby? I will not be streaming.

coax with X3 do work with mojo...i can confirm on this

May 5, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #96 of 3,742
May 5, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #98 of 3,742
when you are using coaxial out or optical out to mojo u are using mojo amp and dac.. i dont think you can EQ it
True so I am using a phone with mojo so I can EQ THE Mojo. If the X3 could eq the Mojo that would be perfect!

May 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #100 of 3,742
this is interesting along with ibasso dx200 and ak300!

May 7, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #101 of 3,742
Reporting back from High End Show 2016

I took my time at Cayin booth trying out the i5.
At first listen, I was impressed. I was smiling and grinning like an idiot and I thought "Oh goddammit I'm sold"
It's hard to put detailed impressions n the sound now so I'll just describe what I was feeling at that time.
I felt the sound was detailed. Yeah, it was kinda weird for me because I thought my CIEM is already crazy detailed, yet the i5 improved it. The downside is, I was focusing too much on the details that I kinda missed the bass...

So next are the features. The i5 feels really solid and good in my hands. Looking at it in real life, I was really pleased. All of the buttons are easily reachable for me, ergonomically I found it better than Onkyo DP-X1.
The UI is Android, but unlike DP-X1, you can't navigate to Android home screen. I was only shown the music app which is based on Hiby Music and works perfectly, the vertical swap bar to turn on/off WiFi, Bluetooth and Settings and volume control.
Overall, the UI itself is pretty smooth but the touch isn't really sensitive., which means when you think you've touched the screen to swap it, it stays. I've addressed this problem to the staff there.

Next problem is regarding previous/next/start/pause song. All of these functions are still laggy. There's a noticeable delay when changing/choosing/pausing song.

The tightness of the volume knob varies between units. The unit I was testing has a slippery volume knob, but the one with the Meze plugged in is pretty solid.
The good thing is, if you lock screen, the volume knob can't be used so volume won't suddenly turn loud in your pocket.
Cayin still has time to improve it before release so I hope it'll turn out to be a really good device 
beerchug.gif

Some pics:

Staffs are really nice and helpful. It made me comfortable staying there trying out gears.
But I forgot to ask about 3rd party app installation so I'll be going there again tomorrow this time with my macro lens to take good close up pics.  FORGOT MY LENS AT HOME NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

May 7, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #102 of 3,742
Nice write-up!
I actually like HibyMusic on my cellphone.

May 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #103 of 3,742
I like HibyMusic too but on my phone they don't have the widget on lock screen for easier navigation.
On the i5, they have it now, though you'll want to use the physical button anyway.

Actually I also forgot to ask if the i5 supports standby mode or not. It would be great to not have the DAP boot everytime, moreover considering it's Android.

May 7, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #104 of 3,742
  Reporting back from High End Show 2016

I took my time at Cayin booth trying out the i5.
At first listen, I was impressed. I was smiling and grinning like an idiot and I thought "Oh goddammit I'm sold"
It's hard to put detailed impressions n the sound now so I'll just describe what I was feeling at that time.
I felt the sound was detailed. Yeah, it was kinda weird for me because I thought my CIEM is already crazy detailed, yet the i5 improved it. The downside is, I was focusing too much on the details that I kinda missed the bass...

So next are the features. The i5 feels really solid and good in my hands. Looking at it in real life, I was really pleased. All of the buttons are easily reachable for me, ergonomically I found it better than Onkyo DP-X1.
The UI is Android, but unlike DP-X1, you can't navigate to Android home screen. I was only shown the music app which is based on Hiby Music and works perfectly, the vertical swap bar to turn on/off WiFi, Bluetooth and Settings and volume control.
Overall, the UI itself is pretty smooth but the touch isn't really sensitive., which means when you think you've touched the screen to swap it, it stays. I've addressed this problem to the staff there.

Next problem is regarding previous/next/start/pause song. All of these functions are still laggy. There's a noticeable delay when changing/choosing/pausing song.

The tightness of the volume knob varies between units. The unit I was testing has a slippery volume knob, but the one with the Meze plugged in is pretty solid.
The good thing is, if you lock screen, the volume knob can't be used so volume won't suddenly turn loud in your pocket.
Cayin still has time to improve it before release so I hope it'll turn out to be a really good device 
beerchug.gif

Some pics:

Staffs are really nice and helpful. It made me comfortable staying there trying out gears.
But I forgot to ask about 3rd party app installation so I'll be going there again tomorrow this time with my macro lens to take good close up pics.  FORGOT MY LENS AT HOME NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

please try to focus on how the bass is as that is something many of us would like to know

also very important to ask if u can install apps like neutron

May 7, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #105 of 3,742

it does but LACKS bass. Need to EQ the Mojo with an APP.

Agreed.

True so I am using a phone with mojo so I can EQ THE Mojo. If the X3 could eq the Mojo that would be perfect!

Agreed. :smiley:

Hopefully the i5 is nice, with a sound eq (no pun intended Sound Eq)... We need bass, and lots of it!! Neutron would be a start. Hopefully we can root as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back