Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Aug 29, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #3,422 of 3,742
Is there any plans for next firmware update? Last update was like half year ago and bugs are still there. I know about the MCU problems. Nevertheless as a customer I shouldn't be concerned by that stuff, rather than just receive product that is complete and working. My player fail to boot up, crashes while browsing my library and randomly brings volume control screen while scrolling through albums(even though i wasn't touching the volume knob). That's not what i expected when i was buying it couple months back, but i was patient. Now it seems as we were left with unfinished product and nothing will be done with it.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #3,423 of 3,742
I was wondering about the same issue when I had the i5. But from what I understand this feature works only properly with the Chinese version, taking the files from Chinese server.
You would have artist pictures and not the album thumbnails if I got it correctly.

I thought my previous port was the last one in this thread, obviously I was wrong with that.

So if the artist pictures are not avilable for the global version then a possibility to change this to pure list view would be nice, making it easier to scroll through.

I think i got the chinesee version Cayin i5, but i got Firmware 2.2 international installed and now it work better, since it got Baidu instead of dropbox and missed google play store buttom when i unboxed the player i was surprised to see this it had me a whole day to find it out
If it would have worked for the Songs i drag from Pc to Player and album art show up in artist view itwould be good but then it work for some chinese server which i dont use :)
yes i think Artist list now is better than artist empty square thumpnail

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #3,424 of 3,742
I'm very sorry to read about the issues you are facing with yours. Might be worth returning it in exchange for a new one because the MTP issue you have is really weird. I've not seen anything like it, even on any given DAP. Regardless, I think the i5 deserves a second chance. And believe me when I say I understand your frustrations. My brand new i5 arrived a couple weeks back and fresh out of the box, it had even more serious issues than yours. It would freeze as and when it liked (usually anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes of playback). I tried factory reset, different memory cards, different format of files, flashing different firmware - 2.2 international, 2.3 beta and even Fidelizer's - the problem persisted. For days I tried everything and anything remotely possible but the intermittent (and surefire) freezing wouldn't go away. Convinced it was a hardware related issue, I returned it and am now waiting for my replacement unit to arrive. Should get here within the next few days. Truth be told, I could have easily given up on the i5 because the crashes were downright frustrating but I wanted to have another go simply because of 3 reasons:

1) When the i5 worked, the sound was glorious. I cannot remember when was the last time I listened to a DAP that was this engaging...save my then AK380, perhaps.
2) I love how the i5 looks (I openly admit that) and;
3) It's nice to see Andy Kong's continuous involvement here. How many manufacturers do that?

Personally, I don't expect Andy to be here 24x7 but he has shown consistency and sincerity in trying to address some of the issues owners face and doing what he can to get Cayin engineers to incorporate improvements / enhancements into the i5. I think the i5 has evolved quite a bit since and that's a good thing. I only hope the first i5 I received and eventually returned was one of those few with hardware issues to boot. Let's see what the replacement unit brings...

hello again i like the sound quality of I5 and for its price there is not so much competition.
I am glad you told about the Freezing issue because i was testing this yesterday.

And YES i have Freezing issue this is the problem i Have, When i go into EQ and change music EQ while playing a song in Hibymusic then i5 FREEZE for a minute and pop up "Cayin i5 freeze" choose of wait or close player.
I click wait and after 1-2 minuts it unfreeze, but if i start playing with EQ again it freeze again HAPPEN ALL THE TIME .

I dont know if i get freeze with other things than going into EQ settings.

When yours froze will it freeze from staying iddle playing songs for 15 minuts, or only when you was browsing song while playing songs after 5-15 minuts?
Freeze issue i have now and the conection problem i have 2 minuts delay by USB mode is what made me consider return it.

I think Player stay idle play song it wont freeze.
The problem i have with my Cayin i5 when conected to PC on several pc the same (indicate problem is with player not with Pc) conected to pc USB mode 2 minute delay to show up
and problem i had in MTP mode that music disapeared from MTP not sure why that happened but it work now again in mtp, however some random times it dont conect by mtp and have to try again.

I realy apreciate someone to help me test the Freezing on Cayin i5 to see if my freezing on cayin i5 is hardware issue
i realy should return it , but it look so lovely there on my desk. i dont know if its good to keep it

Also in Eq settings the Default EQ settings has a lower volume than using Custom EQ setting
not sure if that is normal, thats why i only use Custom EQ settings

Update:
Freezing only happen in custom EQ settings when flipping the EQ buttons up and down
but not by selecting Default EQ settings between rock,pop,jazz etc...
sometimes the Eq customize buttons are unresponsive and then it freeze

Doing more freeze test now

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #3,425 of 3,742
Defently Cayin i5 Hibymusic have A Bug with Short Intro songs they ARE Not recognized and
NOT show up in Cayin i5.

This happened to me drag whole album from pc to player in both MTP and USB mode it show up in windows folder inside cayin i5 once conected
but once unplugged cayin i5 and scanned the Song dont show up, Is not a IDtag issue it happen with ALL songs around under 1 minute

This is the songs that dont show up in Hibymusic because is too short minute playlenght
It do work on Poweramp but not in hibymusic
Of all my songs is not so many songs that dont work
but here there are.

All have in common is the first song on the Album
and that song is INTRO with under 1 minute length mp3.

I recomend you try this try album with short intro song first song
see if it show up on player

Artist - Album
Song
--------------------------------------------------
Dempagumi.inc - WWDD
1 - Dempa na Sekai ~It's a Dempa World~

Appare Harajuku - Appare! world
1 - Overture

E-girls - E.G. Time
1- Introduction

Foxes - All I need
1- Rise up

kyary pamyu pamyu best album
1- kph on stage

LABOUM - ALLOW ALLOW
1 - intro

LABOUM - FRESH ADVENTURE
1 - Intro

LABOUM - LOVE SIGNS
1 - Shooting stars

LOVELYZ - A NEW TRIOLOGY
1 - Moonrise

Snuper - Platonic Love PLATONIC LOVE
1 - You are (intro)

Stellar - Sting
1 - Do you hear me

YMCK - FAMILY SWING
1 - NATIONAL ANTHEM

Ymck - Family Genesis
1 - Prolouge

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,426 of 3,742
Defently Cayin i5 Hibymusic have A Bug with Short Intro songs they ARE Not recognized and
NOT show up in Cayin i5.

This happened to me drag whole album from pc to player in both MTP and USB mode it show up in windows folder inside cayin i5 once conected
but once unplugged cayin i5 and scanned the Song dont show up, Is not a IDtag issue it happen with ALL songs around under 1 minute

This is the songs that dont show up in Hibymusic because is too short minute playlenght
It do work on Poweramp but not in hibymusic
Of all my songs is not so many songs that dont work
but here there are.

All have in common is the first song on the Album
and that song is INTRO with under 1 minute length mp3.

I recomend you try this try album with short intro song first song
see if it show up on player

Artist - Album
Song
--------------------------------------------------
Dempagumi.inc - WWDD
1 - Dempa na Sekai ~It's a Dempa World~

Appare Harajuku - Appare! world
1 - Overture

E-girls - E.G. Time
1- Introduction

Foxes - All I need
1- Rise up

kyary pamyu pamyu best album
1- kph on stage

LABOUM - ALLOW ALLOW
1 - intro

LABOUM - FRESH ADVENTURE
1 - Intro

LABOUM - LOVE SIGNS
1 - Shooting stars

LOVELYZ - A NEW TRIOLOGY
1 - Moonrise

Snuper - Platonic Love PLATONIC LOVE
1 - You are (intro)

Stellar - Sting
1 - Do you hear me

YMCK - FAMILY SWING
1 - NATIONAL ANTHEM

Ymck - Family Genesis
1 - Prolouge

You have to change search settings. When you click music scan there will be selection between scanning all and specific folder. In the upper right corner in the selection screen you can see settings button. There you will have to disable both skip options.

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #3,427 of 3,742
Purchased and paid original Cayin Leather case From China 22 August 2017
It was shipped 25 August and Arrived at China Processing center 26 August
No futher update since then, it has passed 1 week and half since i purchased it and tracking number
still not know where it is, waiting for it.

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #3,428 of 3,742
Purchased and paid original Cayin Leather case From China 22 August 2017
It was shipped 25 August and Arrived at China Processing center 26 August
No futher update since then, it has passed 1 week and half since i purchased it and tracking number
still not know where it is, waiting for it.
we need to sympathize with you?

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #3,429 of 3,742
This is what i want to do , i have Cayin i5 in front of me
inside hibymusic
I click Album view and i get album art show up like this
This is good and Album art show up fine this is how i want it
yoFhhNX.jpg

This is important for me

I use Artist view usualy to browse my music

This is What i want Artist View the view i use most to show album art
Is there a way to make the Album art (mp3) show up from a artist.
This is my sugestion that the Newest Album of a Artist that was Scanned on Cayin i5
Can be the album art of that album that show up under artist
When i transfer a new album of that artist to player it can pick album art from that album
and set it as album art for that artist under artist view

Or... can have it like that you can just pick yourself a album art you want
that is inside album of that artist and set as Album art in artist view.
This would look very good.

It look so sad under Artist only Empty squares there should be album art.
Many players have album art under Artist
Is there not any way around it so i can have album art of mp3 files under Artist view?

Under Album view it look excelent with album art
but i have always been using artist view to browse songs is easyer when
i have many artist, but then there is the missing artwork in artist view

7r2chMr.jpg

If i could get Album art to show up in Artist view just like in album view
then cayin i5 would be the best player ever :)

Sorry to inform you that we don't have any plan to modify the Artist list as you have suggested. We did consider changing the Artist tab to a listed based and get rid of all the icons.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 1, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #3,430 of 3,742
Sorry to inform you that we don't have any plan to modify the Artist list as you have suggested. We did consider changing the Artist tab to a listed based and get rid of all the icons.
But as for bluetooth, can you consider some solutions?
Because since he is working at the moment, this can not be called his normal job......

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #3,431 of 3,742
I noticed that bluetooth does not work correctly. If I connect to the system in the car and then reboot the i5 or car audio system, I do not reconnect. Even if the top curtain is turned off and then back on, bluetooth connections also are not present. You can reconnect two devices only if you go directly to the bluetooth settings and choose the desired device there.
Also does not work pause with bluetooth connection, on any devices.
This is a serious defect in the engineers cayin. Correct this please.

The pause is a know issue with Hiby at i5, we have urged Hiby to rectified that but for some unknown reason, Hiby can't solve the problem, This is related to HiBy app only, the i5 Bluetooth connection can pause with other Music App.

From what I gathered, i5 can connect to the audio system in your car via Bluetooth, but it can't be reconnected if the i5 or the car audio system rebooted? I am not entirely sure, I need to check with our QA staff next week, I barely remember that we have mentioned in early stage of i5 that the Bluetooth chip (which is fairly outdated by today's standard) is not performing satisfactory on the auto-connect function.

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #3,432 of 3,742
I'm very sorry to read about the issues you are facing with yours. Might be worth returning it in exchange for a new one because the MTP issue you have is really weird. I've not seen anything like it, even on any given DAP. Regardless, I think the i5 deserves a second chance. And believe me when I say I understand your frustrations. My brand new i5 arrived a couple weeks back and fresh out of the box, it had even more serious issues than yours. It would freeze as and when it liked (usually anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes of playback). I tried factory reset, different memory cards, different format of files, flashing different firmware - 2.2 international, 2.3 beta and even Fidelizer's - the problem persisted. For days I tried everything and anything remotely possible but the intermittent (and surefire) freezing wouldn't go away. Convinced it was a hardware related issue, I returned it and am now waiting for my replacement unit to arrive. Should get here within the next few days. Truth be told, I could have easily given up on the i5 because the crashes were downright frustrating but I wanted to have another go simply because of 3 reasons:

1) When the i5 worked, the sound was glorious. I cannot remember when was the last time I listened to a DAP that was this engaging...save my then AK380, perhaps.
2) I love how the i5 looks (I openly admit that) and;
3) It's nice to see Andy Kong's continuous involvement here. How many manufacturers do that?

Personally, I don't expect Andy to be here 24x7 but he has shown consistency and sincerity in trying to address some of the issues owners face and doing what he can to get Cayin engineers to incorporate improvements / enhancements into the i5. I think the i5 has evolved quite a bit since and that's a good thing. I only hope the first i5 I received and eventually returned was one of those few with hardware issues to boot. Let's see what the replacement unit brings...

Thank you very much for your kind support, its amazing that you are really considerate even when your i5 experience is not as positive.

Indeed I have a hard time to get in pace with all the product discussion threads in HeadFi and elsewhere (I am also responsible for the forums in Hong Kong as that's my home town).

2017 is a very tough year for us. We had FOUR typhoon attack so far and Typhoon Hato has hit us badly. We have another tropical storm Pakhar last Sunday and that also went up to Red alert, and then we have Tropical storm Mawar arriving this coming Sunday, our R&D has get back on track already but the production will take time to ramp up again mainly because we need to wait for the supply chain to refill our components.

For those who want to find out how bad the situation was, please check the photo on our Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/CayinAudio/posts/320114925066407

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #3,433 of 3,742
From what I gathered, i5 can connect to the audio system in your car via Bluetooth, but it can't be reconnected if the i5 or the car audio system rebooted?
Yes, quite right. Reconnection does not occur. You need to go into the bluetooth settings and manually select the desired device.
Still often enough was that i5 repeatedly requests a password for the connection.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #3,434 of 3,742
Yes, quite right. Reconnection does not occur. You need to go into the bluetooth settings and manually select the desired device.
Still often enough was that i5 repeatedly requests a password for the connection.

Very good, I get your problem now, let me check our log and get back to you next week.:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back