Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Feb 20, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,836 of 3,742
Interesting, I have emailed Tidal about the stuttering issue, seeking their advice and technical support in solving the problem, no luck in getting any response so far.

Did Tidal address the issue publicly? Please keep us informed if Tidal comes back to you on this issue, I sure hope we have a happy ending with Tidal after all the effort we spend and all the attack we have suffered on this issue.

Thanks Andy for the detail information.

Any idea about the storage issue I mentioned in Post 2826 above?  

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #2,839 of 3,742

Thanks Andy for your detailed analysis of the problem.It is very encouraging to have this level of response available from the manufacturer! So although this is a disappointing conclusion it sounds as though it's down to Tidal to change their service to support the hardware that its customers are using! I'll email Tidal customer support today and encourage everyone else with this problem to do the same.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #2,840 of 3,742

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Confirming here your problem with the doubled download location (more precisely, inserting a micro SD card would cause Tidal to see two instances of the micro SD card and ignore internal storage)

I'm supposing that the problem stems from the internal storage being also mounted by the i5 as a form of SD card storage. More precisely, if Tidal were able to see the internal storage as internal storage, it would have called it "Internal". It gets confused by the i5's filesystem, but this doesn't happen to all apps, e.g. ES File Explorer (bundled with the i5 I believe) sees the internal and external SDs on the i5 correctly. At some point, with Android's fragmentary "standardization", it's hard to tell when it's the hardware's fault for following a standard not recognized by a particular piece of software and when it's the fault of a piece of software for not recognizing said standard. :xf_eek:

As for the issue with re-synchronizing tracks, in my testing I found that the tracks that were originally offlined to internal storage would download and play normally once you choose to synchronize, with some caveats:
1. If you'd offlined many songs, the song you attempted to play just now may not be first in line for re-downloading, so you may have to wait quite a while.
2. Tidal is apparently not smart enough to just play the song online while waiting for the song to re-download, so you have to check the download list and try playing "offlined" music again only after the list clears.

On balance, I think this is a "better" problem to have than the reverse problem on other players, where only the (usually smaller) internal storage is available for Tidal. If I were you, I would reserve a large SD card for playing with Tidal and only launch Tidal when that card and only that card is inserted. But, it may be a moot point these days, since the i5 can't play HiFi tracks on Tidal reliably with Tidal's current CPU utilization pattern, as noted in Andykong's post in the last page... :frowning2: I suppose it may be worth considering if you are ok with setting all quality settings on Tidal to be one step down from HiFi... (that said, properly encoded 320kbps streams are nothing to be sneezed at)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 21, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,841 of 3,742
Is the new firmware update for international out yet, or is it tmrw?

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2,842 of 3,742
Feb 21, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #2,843 of 3,742
Hi all, I've been using the i5 for a few days now and I have a few fuzzy questions and remarks.

1. Is it correct that the search ONLY finds titles but no albums and artists?
2. I do not experience any battery drain, running on 2.0, WiFi off, and Idle Shutdown activated. But what exactly IS Idle Shutdown? It for sure doesn't turn off the device.
3. One thing that disturbs me with the new case: with my big fingers all touch items close to the border of the screen are really hard to reach. The cutout is too close to the screen. Not sure if this can be changed in a future model or if the case would become too unstable.

Cheers
Stefan

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #2,845 of 3,742
Thanks Joe for the detailed analysis, so apparently I may not the only one affected by this 'bug', hopefully it will be addressed by those concerned.  Right now my work around is to download Tidal offline to internal storage and play the offline content with the card removed, and insert the card back for ripped songs on the SD card. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #2,848 of 3,742
Feb 22, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #2,850 of 3,742
Announcement of Cayin i5 firmware v2.2

http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13505

Direct download link:

http://en.cayin.cn/down?name=I5-Update-2.2-International.zip
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2hOfIpcK24hQzQ0WnFpZE94dFE

Please be reminded that you must download and apply the firmware file in ZIP file format, do not decompress the firmware file in between. If you are using iOS device, please make sure you have turn off the auto-decompress setting otherwise your computer might decompressed the zip file without alert you in advance.

New Functions and System Optimization

1. Add new USA Audio output mode, user can choice to use either USB Audio or S/PDIF digital output to connect the i5 DAP to external DAC.
    - Please turn on i5 before you plug in USB cable and connect the player to external DAC equipment,
    if you connect USB cable to i5 at power off status, the player will fail to recognize the external device after power on.
    - Please be informed that DoP is not supported in USB Audio output,
    all DSD document will be converted to PCM before output to external digital device.
  2. Rectify abnormal behavior during playback CUE file or ISO file in Playlist or My Favorite
  3. Reinstate the auto power off status of idle shutdown feature after power on/off
  4. Maintain DSD marking to the appropriate size without affected by playing now mark or longer song Title
  5. Provide choice of USB mode and MTP mode when connect i5 to a computer device for data transfer. The USB mode can be triggered at the Quick menu (pull down from top of the screen)
  6. Other bugs fixed

Attention:
When connect i5 to computer in DAC mode, i5 will cease to operate/playback. You can turn off DAC and resume regular playback control by disconnect the i5 from your computer facility, but the DAC mode setting will remain unchanged even after power off and on. Unless you change the USB mode manually, i5 will remain in DAC mode and you can reconnect the USB cable and resume USB-DAC playback immediately

Cayin i5 Firmware Upgrade

Cayin i5 is based on a fully customized Android 4.4 system, this is uniquely developed to become the foundation of i5. Cayin will issue updated i5 firmware from time to time to enable new function, optimize the features and functions of the player, and improve the efficiency and performance of the hardware platform. Cayin reserves the right to modify the firmware without prior notice.

Attention:

1. Each version of firmware might contain minor different, please review the modification list and decide on your own accord whether you want to update the firmware of your i5 Player.
  2. Under normal circumstances, firmware upgrade will not cause any damage to user information, including installed applications and downloaded music files. However Cayin cannot exclude the possibility of upgrade failure due to mal-operation or any other reason. For these reasons, you might be required to reset your i5 player and result in losing person data stored on the player. We suggest you backup all your personal data stored on the player before you perform firmware upgrade.
  3. The i5 Android firmware is fully customized for i5 only and cannot be used in other Android devices.
  4. Please do not temper the i5 firmware or intend to replace the i5 firmware with other Android based system or firmware.

Firmware upgrades procedure

Cayin i5 offers OTA upgrade and Manual upgrade options. The firmware content is identical in both cases, users can select their preferred option freely.

Cayin i5 was launched with firmware v1.0, and we have added OTA upgrade function at v1.1 and v1.2 respectively. If your i5 firmware is remain at v1.0, you’ll not be able to use OTA firmware upgrade, we suggest you to perform at least one firmware upgrade manually, this will allow you to enjoy OTA upgrade in subsequent firmware release.

A. OTA upgrade instruction

1. OTA upgrade is only available to i5 with v1.1 firmware or after.
  2. Please make sure the player has not less than 50% battery power before you proceed.
  3. When you activate WiFi connection, system will detect and alert you when new firmware is identified automatically, please use the pull down menu to accept the firmware upgrade offer, or select “System Update” command under the Setup menu to invoke firmware upgrade process.
  4. You will enter a download screen and when the download is completed, confirm to proceed update and the system will complete the update process automatically.

Upon completion on firmware upgrade, the firmware package is stored at the root directory of the internal storage under the name of “update.zip”. You can delete this file (with ES explorer preinstalled under Third Party Application drawer) to redeem storage capacity.

B. Manual upgrade instruction

The i5 v2.0 firmware package is around 216MB, consider some users are using the i5 as a standalone player or having a much faster network connection with their desktop computer, Cayin has offer manual upgrade option for your convenient.

1. Go to download page of Cayin website (http://en.cayin.cn/download), click into the latest i5 firmware upgrade entry, download the installation package titled [COLOR=FF00AA]I5-Update-2.2-International.zip[/COLOR]
  2. Please check the final download file size to confirm that you have successfully download the complete firmware package. Cayin has provided two download link for your convenient, if you run into any problem with the FTP
  3. Copy the installation package to the root directory of i5 internal storage or the root directory of the TF card that will be used in firmware upgrade.
  4. Please make sure the player has not less than 50% battery power before you proceed.
  5. Enter Recovery Mode of Cayin i5 by pressing Down key at the right side and Power On/off at the left side
  6. Once you have arrived at Recovery Mode, you can move around with the Volume control or the Up and Down key on the left, and select an option with Power On/Off key
    • If you have stored the installation package at root directory of internal storage, select “apply update from internal storage”
    • If you have stored the installation package at root directory of the TF card, select “apply update from external storage”
  7. Select [COLOR=FF00AA]I5-Update-2.2-International.zip[/COLOR] with Power on/off key to activate upgrade process
  8. At the end of system upgrade, select “reboot system now” at Recovery Mode to complete the firmware upgrade.

Attention:

1. Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  2. Please delete/remove the firmware file from the internal storage/TF card after firmware upgrade
  3. Please perform a complete Music Scan after firmware upgrade.
  4. In case you have third party applications installed and find the system/applications are not performing satisfactory, please wipe cache partition (in recovery mode) and restart the system.
  5. If the system freeze or cannot resume to regular operation, you can turn off the device by press and hold the Power on-off key for around 10 seconds. The system will shut down in regardless of operation status. If problem persist, you can perform a Factory Reset (under Setting menu) or Wipe data/factory reset (in recovery mode) to resume the system.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back