Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
May 8, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #4,006 of 6,232
This C9 is starting to seem very tempting...I'm wondering what sort of magic it may work with my Elysium and M8.

May 8, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #4,007 of 6,232
This C9 is starting to seem very tempting...I'm wondering what sort of magic it may work with my Elysium and M8.
There was a new user @ian91 with M8 reporting just a couple pages back.

Edit: @fiascogarcia uses 1Z + C9 + Elysium.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #4,008 of 6,232
Speaking of the fun after getting C9, I am now starting to explore 1DD IEMs as they work EXTREMELY WELL with C9's power and timbre.

SK from Final x Dita on the way from Andrew. :smile:
That's nice since I was planning for my next IEM purchase to be 1DD even before getting C9. But that might go until autumn or early next year... something within a 500-1000$ budget most likely.

May 9, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #4,009 of 6,232
There was a new user @ian91 with M8 reporting just a couple pages back.

Edit: @fiascogarcia uses 1Z + C9 + Elysium.
I need to try that for you @Rockwell75, sorry I am so slow to do it. It is going to be interesting as M8 Ely already ++Aces. Maybe it will add some bass?
I question my ability to hear low frequency bass though.

May 9, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #4,010 of 6,232
I have been doing that since I receive my C9 case. Just make sure you switch off the C9 before you pull it out from the case, once you developed this habit, it is quite safe to use C9 without the two screws that lock the battery module.
Awesome. Now I have double the battery capacity and I don't have any charging problems with the C9. My DAP is the problem now. I don't want to plug it in while listening because I want to be able to get up and walk around untethered. Also, I don't want to use my DX160 because it doesn't have line out and I risk blowing my ears out by not turning the volume down. Might need to get another DAP. Haha. We audiophiles come up with every excuse in the book to by more gear.

May 9, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #4,011 of 6,232
Once you get the C9 and start listening to your IEMs with it, taking it away is like giving up your Queen in a game of chess before the start of the game to your opponent. I think the C9 is the most important component in an IEM chain because it makes everything sound better. If you have a C9, you don't need a high end DAP. Midfi DAP is sufficient for TOTL sound. But, it can also make your TOTL DAP sound even better. It makes a Hugo 2 sound better.

May 9, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #4,012 of 6,232
I need to try that for you @Rockwell75, sorry I am so slow to do it. It is going to be interesting as M8 Ely already ++Aces. Maybe it will add some bass?
I question my ability to hear low frequency bass though.

Once you get the C9 and start listening to your IEMs with it, taking it away is like giving up your Queen in a game of chess before the start of the game to your opponent. I think the C9 is the most important component in an IEM chain because it makes everything sound better. If you have a C9, you don't need a high end DAP. Midfi DAP is sufficient for TOTL sound. But, it can also make your TOTL DAP sound even better. It makes a Hugo 2 sound better.

I'm curious to hear the C9 but it's really a crazy thing to consider given how little of my listening is done while I'm stationary. The Shanling M8 is presently the upper limit of what I'd really consider pocketable/portable...but it would still be nice to have an option like the C9 around the house "just because". I wonder how much it could really add to M8 + Elysium. The thing that always gets me at this point that my search is no longer about ironing out imperfections in what I have-- Ely + M8 leaves nothing to be desired to me while I'm listening to it...so I know that I could be totally happy without adding anything to it. It's more about tweaks and refinements at this point. Heck in the past few days I've had nothing but a Andro 2020 and my M8 and that pairing has left me wanting nothing...if society collapsed tomorrow and all I had was what I have on me now audio wise I'd be just fine. This just serves to emphasize the power of curiosity and love of variety that characterizes this hobby.

May 9, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #4,013 of 6,232
. Heck in the past few days I've had nothing but a Andro 2020 and my M8 and that pairing has left me wanting nothing...if society collapsed tomorrow and all I had was what I have on me now audio wise I'd be just fine. This just serves to emphasize the power of curiosity and love of variety that characterizes this hobby.
I’d be interested to see how the C9 improves the Andro2020 out of a SP2000.
Listening to this pairing without the c9 now and just posted on the Trailii thread. The detail, layering, airy separation, accurate bass and treble extension are a significant step up on the bird. In comparison my andromeda’s sound muddy and congested which are not adjectives usually associated with the Andro.
Listening to Sarah Alainn. Now we are free.
Edit: I am aware of the entirely different price tier

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #4,014 of 6,232
Awesome. Now I have double the battery capacity and I don't have any charging problems with the C9. My DAP is the problem now. I don't want to plug it in while listening because I want to be able to get up and walk around untethered. Also, I don't want to use my DX160 because it doesn't have line out and I risk blowing my ears out by not turning the volume down. Might need to get another DAP. Haha. We audiophiles come up with every excuse in the book to by more gear.

If you are after true balanced line out, the choice is limited, and most of them are using premium DAC that consumes battery like I drink Coke in the hot summer day, even with line out.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 9, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #4,015 of 6,232
I’d be interested to see how the C9 improves the Andro2020 out of a SP2000.
Listening to this pairing without the c9 now and just posted on the Trailii thread. The detail, layering, airy separation, accurate bass and treble extension are a significant step up on the bird. In comparison my andromeda’s sound muddy and congested which are not adjectives usually associated with the Andro.
Listening to Sarah Alainn. Now we are free.

Andromeda sounds divine out of the M8-- it's like a super charged PAW S1 with the same inky black background. I've heard from a few that tube sources synergize very well with Andro and on that account I've also been eyeing Cayin's n3pro (that comes with an Andro green case no less) as a portable source.

Edit: Also-- do you still find yourself listening to Andro given that it has to compete with the almighty Bird for your time? I would have thought that the Andromeda is one IEM that the Trailli would render totally redundant. It would add a notable spring to my step to hear that's not the case, however.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #4,016 of 6,232
If you are after true balanced line out, the choice is limited, and most of them are using premium DAC that consumes battery like I drink Coke in the hot summer day, even with line out.

I’m sure a few people at a desktop just use a portable power bank. I do - have an Anker 20000mAH with an USB-A to multi-adapter to charge anything from the Hugo to my SP2000.

I don’t use the USB-C on my powerbank as at 60W I don’t trust the power management not to fry anything.

edit- yes the Andro is now redundant. It’s not even a competition. I use it mostly in bed or when I cannot be bothered delicately extricating the bird from the Van Nuys case and putting it away again. I wouldn’t want my toddler finding them in the morning.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,017 of 6,232
May 9, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #4,018 of 6,232
Well, you convinced me that I need a true balanced line out, so that is what I am going to get. I'll wait to see what Cayin releases and then make a choice. I like the iBasso sound, so the DX300 with the upcoming line out feature is the front runner right now. I would love to see you knock them out of contention.

May 9, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #4,019 of 6,232
Well, you convinced me that I need a true balanced line out, so that is what I am going to get. I'll wait to see what Cayin releases and then make a choice. I like the iBasso sound, so the DX300 with the upcoming line out feature is the front runner right now. I would love to see you knock them out of contention.

The n6ii + A02 is rumoured to be one of the best pure line outs in the game

May 9, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #4,020 of 6,232
I don't even have kids but that thought gave me a cold shudder.
She found my andro’s one morning on the bedside table. Thankfully on an extensive listen they’re fine …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back