Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Sep 12, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2,656 of 2,966
They had just been discussing the LCX....
Here is the preceding post:
"Here is a bone:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-alex-cavalli-liquid-carbon-x-amp

A better version of the the original Liquid Carbon for $299"

He directly replied to that with:
"Ah I think not. It is however a real Cavalli design but is not a better version of the carbon. Cavalli does not build it, Massdrop builds it."

Maybe some confusion, but hard to tell from that exchange.
Anyway, it is not important, I just thought it interesting.

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,657 of 2,966
I might be wrong, and Jason can clarify, but I think he was just confused and was referring to the CTH and not the Carbon. Based on a few posts around that time, I don't think he knew the Carbon was coming
I am not surprised if the X sound even better than the old Liquid Carbon. Remember that u can get chassis work really cheap in China and the brick switching PSU is fairly hefty and may already produce better sound than the onboard PSU. Don't forget that with more space, you can also use better volume pot such as Blue Velvet pot.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #2,658 of 2,966
My suspicion is that it isn't necessarily a change in their branding, but more a desire by Cavalli to get some final profit on an amp they don't want to continue to make. From their standpoint, they don't have any additional production costs and still can capture royalties on a well respected product. There seems to be a degree of ambivalence on their part about the emotional effect on customers who paid full price, but I don't feel ripped off by this move; I guess business is business and I'm happy with my LC at the price I paid for it.

By the way, I also noticed that Chord is doing the same thing with the Mojo, so maybe these companies see that they've reached the peak of their sales curve on these items, and this is a super inexpensive way for them to capture some final revenue on their lower priced items with no extra cost. Completely my personal opinion.

Interesting perspective. I've only been paying 1/2-attention to this thread, but I'm guessing from your comments that someone other than Cavalli is mfr'ing these new LC variants, the tube hybrid and the X...? If so, then you would seem to be absolutely right.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #2,659 of 2,966
Few folks have reported but I'm not going to moderate as it seems to be sorting itself out now, however hereafter this post, PLEASE MOVE ON back to the thread subject.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #2,660 of 2,966
I'll say I'm sure excited on finally getting my hands on a Cavalli liquid carbon headamp, I've heard the first version of this amp some time ago and only hope this one is as good. After sufficient listening time passes I'll sure voice my opinion good or bad..enjoy

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #2,662 of 2,966
You will never go wrong with your comments here so long as you do not make personal attacks at someone's intellect in order to be demeaning sir.

I am a LC2.0 owner after having sold my LC1.0. I will be keeping my LC because I love its sound. It can be quite resolving but forgiving at the same time. I absolutely love it it with my Grado GS2KE (Balanced Terminated) and my Audeze LCD-X (2017 iteration). Cheers and Happy listening!
I'm intending to combo the mass drop LC with LCD X. How is this combo? Assuming the sound is the same as lc 2.0

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,663 of 2,966
I'm intending to combo the mass drop LC with LCD X. How is this combo? Assuming the sound is the same as lc 2.0

The LC & LCD-X pairing is truly phenomenal for me. The dynamism is phenomenal and the speed at which it is delivered is breathtaking. That would be my biggest compliment to this pairing.

The LC allows for critical listening but isn't so cold as to keep you there as it has an overall slightly warm character while maintaining the integrity of the source feed. I find that the LC does not take away from any headphones overall character but what is noticeable is the fluidity that the LC can instill maybe due to the power on tap coupled with the Cavalli magic. lol do you have any specific questions about the pairing that I might be able to elaborate on?

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #2,664 of 2,966
The LC & LCD-X pairing is truly phenomenal for me. The dynamism is phenomenal and the speed at which it is delivered is breathtaking. That would be my biggest compliment to this pairing.

The LC allows for critical listening but isn't so cold as to keep you there as it has an overall slightly warm character while maintaining the integrity of the source feed. I find that the LC does not take away from any headphones overall character but what is noticeable is the fluidity that the LC can instill maybe due to the power on tap coupled with the Cavalli magic. lol do you have any specific questions about the pairing that I might be able to elaborate on?
I felt the LCD X is a bit bright at times. If this combo is a bit warm, it would be able to tame the highs a bit. Does it ?

Also how is the bass (slam) ?

Thanks

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,665 of 2,966
You would be correct....174 posts. And I am looking at the end to see the basic attitude about the amp as I just saw it on Massdrop. Everyone here at the end sounds like they are complaining. I did a little digging though on some reviews and saw it was a more "tube" like sound and will be avoiding it. Not a fan of tubes. Thanks though....
The "tube" sound was always an exaggeration, IMO. It's just a very refined, smooth, detailed presentation. For me, it has a "very good amp" sound...

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #2,666 of 2,966
I do think it is a bit "tubey" sounding (it's just a shorthand way to describe it). My MicroZOTL2, which IS a tube amp, is more open, detailed "less tubey" than the LC. Imo, of course, multiple disclaimers, ymmv, etcetera etcetera...

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #2,667 of 2,966
I do think it is a bit "tubey" sounding (it's just a shorthand way to describe it). My MicroZOTL2, which IS a tube amp, is more open, detailed "less tubey" than the LC. Imo, of course, multiple disclaimers, ymmv, etcetera etcetera...
Thanks for that. I like a more open airy sound and got the Grado RS2e cans because of the mid warmth while still having brighter (but not totally in your face or clinical) highs. So Tubes would take that warmth probably to an uncomfortable level for me. Currently using the Schiit Fulla 2 for my Dac/Amp combo and actually very happy.

I have been researching and found that outside of the Tube/Solid State changes, DACs seem to have less of an impact then the amp. My Grados are very easy to drive...so no need for like a Jotunheim. Multi-Bit DACs are also more of a smoothing and a bit more tube like from what I have read....so basically looking for a good and not too expensive clean amp dac combo that keeps the desired open and airy feel. I would like a nice clean noise floor and any tightening and expansion of the bass would be welcome. Saw this from the MassDrop and found this thread. I am thinking cost wise the Magni/Modi stack might be my best option for an upgrade. (even with that not sure there might be much of a difference from the Fulla 2 with my easier to drive headphones).

Any suggestions from any of you who have tested different combos?

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,668 of 2,966
The original magni/modi stack I have is VERY bright with my Grado 325i and HD800, not recommended at all. Vali was way better. I just got the Fulla2 and like it with my GH1Gs. Can't beat the form factor either.
Thanks for that. I like a more open airy sound and got the Grado RS2e cans because of the mid warmth while still having brighter (but not totally in your face or clinical) highs. So Tubes would take that warmth probably to an uncomfortable level for me. Currently using the Schiit Fulla 2 for my Dac/Amp combo and actually very happy.

I have been researching and found that outside of the Tube/Solid State changes, DACs seem to have less of an impact then the amp. My Grados are very easy to drive...so no need for like a Jotunheim. Multi-Bit DACs are also more of a smoothing and a bit more tube like from what I have read....so basically looking for a good and not too expensive clean amp dac combo that keeps the desired open and airy feel. I would like a nice clean noise floor and any tightening and expansion of the bass would be welcome. Saw this from the MassDrop and found this thread. I am thinking cost wise the Magni/Modi stack might be my best option for an upgrade. (even with that not sure there might be much of a difference from the Fulla 2 with my easier to drive headphones).

Any suggestions from any of you who have tested different combos?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,669 of 2,966
The original magni/modi stack I have is VERY bright with my Grado 325i and HD800, not recommended at all. Vali was way better. I just got the Fulla2 and like it with my GH1Gs. Can't beat the firm factor either.
Maybe I am chasing butterflies. Maybe the Fulla 2 is my end game as a budget audiophile. Don't mind not spending any more money. The only things that would pry money from my wallet is a larger sound stage and a little more accurate bass. I am guessing I have a pretty darned good listening experience as it is. I use quality source files, and spent the money on my headphones. Thanks for the input!!

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #2,670 of 2,966
Hi!

I've been saving my pennies to buy a balanced solid state amplifier. Until the announcement of the new Massdrop/Cavalli Liquid Carbon X, I was aiming for the Cayin iHA6 amp, right now I'm undecided. Has anyone had the chance of listening to these 2 units (in the case of the Cavalli, the original Liquid Carbon 2.0)? What are your general impressions? How do they stack up against each other?

Any insight would be really appreciated! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back