Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
May 26, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #1,111 of 2,728
You can also take out the white (permanent filter too - some have - i haven’t tried it yet)

I found the filters most noticeable with the SXC-8 cable (all this is in my review - see my signature).

May 26, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #1,112 of 2,728
Does anybody else really enjoy these with no acoustic dampening pads?
I do not like #3 but I like #1 and #2 and no dampening are my favorite.
I am having a hard time distinguishing a huge difference between #1/2 and no pads so I am wondering what other people with more experience can articulate listening to them with without the dampening because even tho I like the #1 and 2 pads but why dampen the driver at all if it is that close to my ears at least. I can distinguish with no dampening that you hear more of the actual true emotion/flaws in Adele’s voice as well as Amber Rubarth.
Hard for me to explain and confusing myself if I have the right idea to not use an insert if I don’t want to change the signature
I don't use any of the supplied sound filters. I tried the filters briefly (I probably didn't give them enough time) and noticed a relative increase in treble and decrease in bass, but I preferred the sound without filters so why mess with a good thing.

May 26, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #1,113 of 2,728
From what I've read the balanced vs. SE sound difference is because your dac/amps sound better balanced than SE, and is less a function of the headphone.
There is a little more to it. Power is typically effectively doubled in balanced, which can help with power hungry drivers (and can also make us think "better!" because louder, whether or not actually better). The signal reaching your drivers has better integrity over balanced out as well since the signal is 180 out of phase in each path of the balanced signals, which combined with the physical twisting of the pairs provides noise cancellation. Depending on the drivers, this cleaner signal may sound better out of the drivers.
Exactly. Which is why one can't say that it "is less (of) a function of the headphone". Some headphones benefit more than others. The Cascade does in this case. However balanced does not guarantee better.

May 27, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #1,114 of 2,728
If you've been on Headfi long enough you know Whenever discussion turns to balanced audio or cables made of exotic materials, or hi res etc, these arguments spring up. Let's face it, we're audiophiles and we hear lots of things that may or may not exist. It is a religion. However there is the sound science thread where it can be debated if you want to do so :deadhorse:

May 27, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #1,115 of 2,728
I've come full circle on the filters vs naked sound question. Bottom line for me, now that I've taken the Cascades through the requisite burn-in time, is that no filters=best.

May 27, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #1,116 of 2,728
Performing a final test of the Zana Deux before I sell it :-

10119452.jpg

The Cascades went very well with it. So whilst the Cascade is easily driven by DAPs and small portable amps, it's also very scalable with desktop (and in this case OTL) amps too - big sound, clean, and (rather unexpectedly and don't know why), bass flab toned down.

May 28, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #1,117 of 2,728
There is a little more to it. Power is typically effectively doubled in balanced, which can help with power hungry drivers (and can also make us think "better!" because louder, whether or not actually better). The signal reaching your drivers has better integrity over balanced out as well since the signal is 180 out of phase in each path of the balanced signals, which combined with the physical twisting of the pairs provides noise cancellation. Depending on the drivers, this cleaner signal may sound better out of the drivers.

Unless you are using a headphone cable that is so badly made that it readily picks up noise, I doubt it will have any effect.

If you've been on Headfi long enough you know Whenever discussion turns to balanced audio or cables made of exotic materials, or hi res etc, these arguments spring up. Let's face it, we're audiophiles and we hear lots of things that may or may not exist. It is a religion. However there is the sound science thread where it can be debated if you want to do so :deadhorse:

Doesn't require that. It's simply, as has already been stated, if the amp is designed as a balanced circuit, it is better to use the balance outputs. If it is designed as SE, the "balanced" outputs might be worse as the signal has to go through a phase splitter first. This both as a fact and from personal listening experience. So if someone says "I switched to using the balanced output on my [DAP/amp/whatever] and I think it sounds better." there is nothing wrong with that. Continuing the misunderstanding that the better sound is purely from the fact that it is balanced is bad for everyone. :)

May 28, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #1,118 of 2,728
wth.jpg
Caleb-with-Cascade.jpg

They better make a revision 2.0 and fix that. From Bluedio I expect b/c its garbage. But not an audiophile brand.

There is no excuse, they should look at other headbands that conform to head.

3982796_5.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Did they not see the complaints on the...

lach.jpg

all this R&D on headband?

This will not fly.

Fix it and make pure beryylium drivers if over $500

Chi-fi "beryllium" (coated, which is like 1% and 99% mylar or plastic) is hovering at $99

May 28, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #1,120 of 2,728
When i would commute via bus/subway to school , I first had shure 440, which got looks.

maxresdefault.jpg

And they are not the worst. When i say looks, i mean they looked at me like I was some alien.

Switching to Lp2 i got less looks,

71LKs7x2wgL._SL1500_.jpg

You would think the R&D team would have a bunch of portable headphones to compare to.

It leaves me scratching my head.

Didn't anyone say anything before final construction?

I could never go through such trauma again on the subway.

These should remain indoors in man caves.

May 28, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #1,121 of 2,728
Aaah, come on guys, nowadays nobody looks weird with big headphones, at least in a city. It’s a norm. We should better work on our self esteem if we get a trauma with them on the subway, shouldn’t we.
Let’s rather say we look special when wearing special headphones. And special is cool, right? And the cascades look really unique. Not boring (like Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic etc.). And yes, you will be recognized with them BUT you should, because they are an eye catcher and you won’t look like everybody else with the Bose or Beats phones, they all look the same. The other companies just don’t have the balls to make such a design statement as Campfire Audio did with the cascade.

If the hot spot bothers you, you can bend the headband and so they will also not have so much air in between.

That doesn’t mean you can’t make it better. Which headphone is perfect? In the meantime let’s enjoy those cans (in public or at home). :)

May 28, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #1,124 of 2,728
Aaah, come on guys, nowadays nobody looks weird with big headphones, at least in a city. It’s a norm. We should better work on our self esteem if we get a trauma with them on the subway, shouldn’t we.
Let’s rather say we look special when wearing special headphones. And special is cool, right? And the cascades look really unique. Not boring (like Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic etc.). And yes, you will be recognized with them BUT you should, because they are an eye catcher and you won’t look like everybody else with the Bose or Beats phones, they all look the same. The other companies just don’t have the balls to make such a design statement as Campfire Audio did with the cascade.

If the hot spot bothers you, you can bend the headband and so they will also not have so much air in between.

That doesn’t mean you can’t make it better. Which headphone is perfect? In the meantime let’s enjoy those cans (in public or at home). :)

From innerfidelity:

"Val has been working hard on the ergonomics—or as the website states "ERGONOMIX"—of these headphones. The gap is the space between the headband and the side of your head that causes all the weight to be carried at the top of your head. By reducing that gap and allowing headphones to touch more of your skull, the weight of the headphones is more broadly distributed over the top of your head, the pressure on your skin is reduced and the fit is more comfortable. I'll spill the beans here: it works."

VMODA_XS_Photo_MindTheGap.jpg

Its not just about looks, but ergonomics also. This flaw needs to be addressed. Unique cups, good materials, fair enough. But if you think the headband gap is unique, i will have to disagree.

dah.jpg

No bending can fix that. Beyerdynamic's well engineered headband which is tried and tested vs the Cascade.

5133556.jpg
Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7LTD-1.jpg
]]

Those look pretty good. I would not call them boring. And the gaps are nowhere as large.

This is not even my opinion, the pics speak for themselves.

This is not some 99$ headphone. $500? $600?

It's their first attempt at over-ear. So their second attempt will fix issues if addressed.

If ignored, this same issue will be present.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

BTW I'm in Toronto, which is kinda like NYC, and the subways are not the most friendliest places to be looking like an alien.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #1,125 of 2,728
Agree those are portable headphones and should have had better ergonomics to compete with beats Bose other stuff and must be stylish loooking headband

Users who are viewing this thread

Back