Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
May 29, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,128 of 2,728
Agree that the headband gap is a pretty significant design issue. I also disagree that home bending is the solution, not that I haven't tried and will continue to. There is some symmetry considerations that will never be met by bending by hand.....I will undoubtedly get better contact distribution if I keep tweaking the band, but not likely at all that it will have uniform contact patch on each side of my head. Still love the sound of the phones, and will be keeping them....unfortunately almost guaranteed that iem's are still my go to travel cans. :0(

May 30, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #1,131 of 2,728
I agree - the bass is big, but it doesn't muddy the midrange. My preferred setup is the T4 filter and running the SXC8 cable in balanced off my ZX300 - beautiful blend of musicality, technical precision and power.

May 31, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #1,132 of 2,728

They better make a revision 2.0 and fix that. From Bluedio I expect b/c its garbage. But not an audiophile brand.

There is no excuse, they should look at other headbands that conform to head.

Did they not see the complaints on the...

all this R&D on headband?

This will not fly.

Fix it and make pure beryylium drivers if over $500

Chi-fi "beryllium" (coated, which is like 1% and 99% mylar or plastic) is hovering at $99

I just saw them on Currawong's head. I literally would've bought them were it not for this staggeringly stupid decision. You have got to be kidding me. Yea, I'll show up outside with these, and pay you $800 while I'm at it. I think I'd rather sacrifice my hearing with IEMs.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #1,133 of 2,728
From innerfidelity:

"Val has been working hard on the ergonomics—or as the website states "ERGONOMIX"—of these headphones. The gap is the space between the headband and the side of your head that causes all the weight to be carried at the top of your head. By reducing that gap and allowing headphones to touch more of your skull, the weight of the headphones is more broadly distributed over the top of your head, the pressure on your skin is reduced and the fit is more comfortable. I'll spill the beans here: it works."

Its not just about looks, but ergonomics also. This flaw needs to be addressed. Unique cups, good materials, fair enough. But if you think the headband gap is unique, i will have to disagree.

No bending can fix that. Beyerdynamic's well engineered headband which is tried and tested vs the Cascade.

]]

Those look pretty good. I would not call them boring. And the gaps are nowhere as large.

This is not even my opinion, the pics speak for themselves.

This is not some 99$ headphone. $500? $600?

It's their first attempt at over-ear. So their second attempt will fix issues if addressed.

If ignored, this same issue will be present.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

BTW I'm in Toronto, which is kinda like NYC, and the subways are not the most friendliest places to be looking like an alien.

Do some of you really use these headphones in public regularly or do you just listen at home? Better be in some hip urban neighborhood or you'd really look like a moron. I was about to get my card ready, and then my head wanted to explode. It's like there's some secret perverse contest about how to screw up a headphone. Jesus, man. $800!!!!! You don't somehow overlook stuff like this.

I can keep going... this bothers me so much. I do not understand, on any level, how mistakes like this are made. I guess one thing that really bothers me is that at these prices any sort of "experimentation" might be deemed excusable. This is so bad. There's no plus here, it's bad. So is it cutting a corner, extreme negligence, or does anyone actually think there's considerable merit to that look? Is the target audience rich school kids or something? Someone mentioned this earlier, or on youtube maybe, it's like that upcoming movie, crazy rich Asians? That the number one target market, places in China where everyone tries to look weird? This a thing anywhere? Good God! I actually wanted to try these. That image of Currawong is not an exaggeration. I watched his review video. I don't even know how actually uncomfortable these are, again, as headphones that are meant for portable use. You cannot make mistakes like this at this price range.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #1,134 of 2,728
Do some of you really use these headphones in public regularly or do you just listen at home? Better be in some hip urban neighborhood or you'd really look like a moron. I was about to get my card ready, and then my head wanted to explode. It's like there's some secret perverse contest about how to screw up a headphone. Jesus, man. $800!!!!! You don't somehow overlook stuff like this.

You are too self conscious, really you are. Nobody gives a damn. I took the Cascade out with me during a two week trip around Japan, I wear it over a baseball cap. Starting from my train to the airport in Hong Kong, on the plane and all the way until I got back home two weeks later I've been wearing them out in the public and not a single person starred at me. I'd agree there are slight ergonomic issues, but you are completely over blowing the looks department. If you don't like the looks then don't buy it.

Speaking of which there was a guy who were wearing trendy looking Beats and everyone starred at him, because he was wearing it like a stethoscope with the headband hanging down so it won't mess up his nicely gelled spiky hair. Now THAT guy looked like a moron. :wink:

May 31, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #1,135 of 2,728
Currawong wrote on youtube I think three weeks ago that there would be a revision addressing this. Any news on that? How do these compare to Shure se846 IEMs? I would've bought a used pair of those but I've been experiencing ringing/tinnitus all day today after using RE600s yesterday, briefly too.

May 31, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #1,136 of 2,728
You are too self conscious, really you are. Nobody gives a damn. I took the Cascade out with me during a two week trip around Japan, I wear it over a baseball cap. Starting from my train to the airport in Hong Kong, on the plane and all the way until I got back home two weeks later I've been wearing them out in the public and not a single person starred at me. I'd agree there are slight ergonomic issues, but you are completely over blowing the looks department. If you don't like the looks then don't buy it.

Speaking of which there was a guy who were wearing trendy looking Beats and everyone starred at him, because he was wearing it like a stethoscope with the headband hanging down so it won't mess up his nicely gelled spiky hair. Now THAT guy looked like a moron. :wink:

Not a fair test. I could wear PJs in Roppongi Hills and wouldn't catch anyone staring! No one in Japan stares anyway....everyone looks down or on their phones.

P.S. My nitpicks of the Cascades are more to do with clamping force and/or rigidness comfort than aesthetics.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #1,138 of 2,728
Not a fair test. I could wear PJs in Roppongi Hills and wouldn't catch anyone staring! No one in Japan stares anyway....everyone looks down or on their phones.

P.S. My nitpicks of the Cascades are more to do with clamping force and/or rigidness comfort than aesthetics.

I wasn't doing Tokyo/Kanto, I did the Sanyo/Sanni area. Yeah in Tokyo people has their head buried in their phones, but that's not the case in more country side areas where people still strike up conversations with complete strangers. :wink:

Also I'd argue the more metropolitan the city (anywhere in the world), the more tolerate of people are with slightly strange looking accessories or fashion because of the whole idea of individualism is more understood/accept in those places and thus much less likely for those people to stare.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back