Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
May 12, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #1,081 of 2,728
I've got a spare set of pads (one of my original pads had some cosmetic damage on arrival and Campfire sent me a replacement set - excellent customer service by the way!) So I thought I have nothing to lose by removing the white filters from the original set.

The change is exactly as Ken said with a reduction in bass and lower mids, it is a much greater change than I found the normal black filters to make. The bass is still there but dialled back a fair bit, the sound is clearer and a bit brighter - I like it a lot actually for some music.

I'm not sure which I prefer in general but will say that with the white filters removed it has made some tracks sound much nicer to my ears. Tears in Heaven had a bit of a boomy resonance to Eric Clapton's voice previously but that has gone with the removal of the white filters.

I've seen a few people say the cascades were just too bassy on here and I would recommend these people to definitely try removing the white filters.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think too.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #1,083 of 2,728
Damn, I would have liked to read what he thinks about the cascade ... live long and prosper, dear Tyll:

Really surprised me, it's weird knowning there will be no content from Tyll anymore. May he enjoy his retirement!

Regarding the Cascades, I wanted to add, that the Ear-Pads seem to have settled in, the headphones in general and they are really comfortable now. They still have a snug fit, which I really grew to like and maybe I'll try the bigger Ear-Pads as well, but so far there is nothing left I miss now.

May 14, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #1,085 of 2,728
I've just added a Lohb strap and the comfort is now amazing!

IMG_2241.jpg IMG_2242.jpg IMG_2243.jpg

May 14, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #1,088 of 2,728
May I ask where you bought it?

eBay -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audeze-Unofficial-Premium-Leather-Head-Strap-aka-Lohb-Strap/183181261550

The seller mentioned this after my photos though:

When you have found the right position using the toggles to dial it in., you lay the headphones on the table remove the toggles, put a single knot
where the toggle was, cut off the excess elastic and then rotate the knout under the lip of the leather and use a dab of glue to hold that knot under the leather lip at the end.
This ensures you get a custom fit and the elastic looks like a sealed neat loop on the outside.

May 14, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,089 of 2,728
Finally decided to pull the trigger on these Cascades this morning!
Was debating between the Aeon closed Sony Z7 and dt 1990/1770’s.
70% of my listening is semi portable around the house doing things to relaxing on my back porch.
I love electronic acoustic classic rock and my HD 650s were not giving me the sound sig I wanted for the edm or hip hop pop and R&B so decided to spend the extra money for these!
Super excited and can not wait for them to arrive and join the club!

What sold me is that headband strap thing shown a few posts ago since comfort to me comes before ANYTHING no matter how good something sounds in case I need that extra padding/support strap for the top of my head which can get sensitive

May 15, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,092 of 2,728
I have a little tip for you all which don't feel the headphones sit perfectly on their head:

- Take off both earpads.

- Hold the Cascades with one finger in the middle of the headband.

- Look if the Cascades have any tendency to go more inwards on the right or left. You do this because there might some imbalances in the headband steel which will result in more pressure on one side of the Cascades, which can ultimately cause a "fake channel imbalance". Really, my Cascades had just a bit more pressure on the left side and the bass seemed a bit panned to the right, now the bass is almost perfectly centered as is everything else.

- Bend the headband in way that makes the Cascades (look) symetrical.

- Put on the earpads again and enjuuuy ya holy Cascades!

I hope this will help someone. A slight tilt of the bass to the right drove me a bit mad, especially in the beginning, because I constantly thought they weren't matched really well, which they are.

May 16, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,094 of 2,728
My ears are quite big, but still the small ear cups don't bother me at all.
That is encouraging! My cascade on its way, and that ear cup size is my main concern... Especially knowing the Lohb strap option exists if the headband bothers me.

May 16, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,095 of 2,728
Tweaked my Lohb strap and it looks like this now:

Enjoying these cans too much now. My ears are quite big, but still the small ear cups don't bother me at all.
Hey what cable is that? Looks like a clear Litz like came with my iems but not the fabric covered one they come with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back