Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Feb 13, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #257 of 2,728
My notes from a brief listen yesterday (75-100 hours)also said ‘like a combination of Vega and Andromeda’
which wasnt the case at the start of the burn in process.

They keep getting better for sure

Waiting until I hit 150 hours before I offer some definite early impressions.

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #259 of 2,728
My notes from a brief listen yesterday (75-100 hours)also said ‘like a combination of Vega and Andromeda’
which wasnt the case at the start of the burn in process.

They keep getting better for sure

Waiting until I hit 150 hours before I offer some definite early impressions.

I just accidentally listened to them at around the 60hour mark myself, my DAC has two Pre Outs and I feed one into my PreAmp and another into my Ember II, I usually don't run both of my Tubes at the same time... but I figured since I can why not? Have the Cascade burn in with the same tracks I'm listening to out of my Modded APPj pa1502a, that said I forget to check the volume to make sure it wasn't to loud [it wasn't]

Non the less I gave Metallica's .Harvester of Sorrow off the ...And Justice for All a listen, and who boi! You guys are kidding about the bass... it's a ton of fun but quite controlled... I couldn't resist and cranked up the volume a little... I will say even at the 60ish hour mark these are Metal Approved! [More so than the Focal Clear sadly :/]

So I couldn't help my self and I'm listening a little more... to say the least these guys are MEAN sounding! I dig it, nice balance of sheer power down low with a good agressive sound up top! But... also kinda dark to? Either way, I dig it for metal! @KB my wife's gonna shoot me if I buy another headphone this year man >.> cmon your making things difficult for me

But phew thankfully I've got an ace up my sleeve! A fully modded custom Audio Technica ES10 with wood cups and some real magical special sauce dampening... I'll say off hand my little modded wonder can isn't quite as wide as the Cascade but hot diggity it kicks too... I'm happy to say though my little secret weapon has finally found an portable equal, which says a lot as this modded headphone is the work of almost 5 years of continuously evolving/improving tinkering by the grand wizard @Bill-P him self. So honestly it's good to hear an in production portable that captures the quality, resolve and balance he's been chasing with this headphone over the years!

So I guess since I can't stop listening it's time for some official impressions, these will be volume matched both with an OCC Copper Cable and no inserts on the Cascade and out of my Modded APPJ pa1502a SET Tube, I was using my Ember for the Cascade but... the Ember is really better suited for planars... not so much dynamics

20180214_040436-01.jpeg

Modded ES10
  • quite intimate in terms of width but very airy
  • Vocals have a bit more resolve
  • Better sense of depth
  • Distorted Guitar has crunch but not as much GRIT or weight/heft
  • Kick drum has less thunder but a little more texture
  • Imaging is not quite as cohesive in terms of width
  • a tad brighter
  • Mid-range is a little more tactile & a bit sweeter but slightly less resolved in the guitars

ALO Cascade
  • Lows are thunderous & powerful!!! With a bit more bloom an a bit less texture
  • Mid Range has a nice tactility, smoothness and slightly better resolve to the guitars in particular,
  • Distorted guitars really crunch with a grinding your teeth kinda thickness
  • Vocals though are a little less resolved and a slightly forward
  • How ever the sound as a whole is wider not quite as intimate
  • Better imaging cohesion in terms of width
  • A bit darker overall
Overall both are excellent, I have to say I wish the Cascade had my Modded ES10's depth and cleaner low end, but I wish my ATH ES10 had the Cascade's Width and overall cohesion

The mid range on each is quite good, Audio Technia is and will likely always kinda hold down the fort when it comes to vocal perfection, vocals are always just sooo right! But I'm impressed how well the Cascade does strings, I have to say I think it takes the edge on strings here too

I think the larger pads on the Cascade are why it's a bit wider that pair'ed with the unique driver tuning of course! The ES10 is technically an "on ear" though so that doesn't help it's width much though it's larger 53mm driver may be why it resolves the low end a little bit better

I'll likely let the Cascade burn in for another day or two before I listen again and post any more impressions, I also need to pair both of these with my balanced amps and HM901 as that's my actual portable set up. Both of these guys picked up some noise from my little modded tube amp, as it's really better suited to drive less sensitive higher impedance cans

so I guess stay tuned till next time!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #260 of 2,728
The cascades are just in, and I have to say, I am so pleased at how they turned out and how much Ken has improved the prototypes I heard 2 years ago.

It’s every bit what I hoped it would be.

Of course there are things I hope to change. From what these guys and Ken say (I take that man’s hearing very seriously, he knows good sound), I expect the bass to tighten up and the overall sound to clean and open up, and that would make the cascade spectacular.

Till this day there are but a mere handful of Closed headphones I like. Most of them, even the mrspeakers ones I find to have this very cuppy sound, try talking into a cup and you get what I mean. The cascade is one of the very small handful of closed headphones that don’t have this problem!

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #263 of 2,728
As everyone else is posting their unboxing pics, tight I'd better get one up here... :wink:

20180213_112938.jpg

Gave them a quick few hours listening yesterday, then popped them on my trusty gym-rig Sony A36 to get some hours in on them (that 40 hr battery has to come in useful somewhere!).

Going to get up to the 100hr mark before posting any serious thoughts on the sound signature, but my initial impressions are very favourable.

Not quite hearing the Vega/Andromeda blend others are referring too, but can definitely had a fair bit of the Vega tonality and style in the Cascade's sound.

Deep, chunky bass, crunch in the mids and a present treble. Decent sense of stage from a closed back, too.

They work well with rock music - "Back In Black" sounded particularly energetic and thick on first listen. Pads are a little on the small size for me, but I have a huge head and ears to match, so imagine they'll be just fine for most normal sized people - still very comfy and give a decent seal too.

I'm usually on the fence about burn in, but if Ken reckons they really stsrt to open up at the 75+hr mark, I figure I'll go along with the manufacturers opinion on this one, so will be cooking them off for the next few days. Looks like there will be a serious number of impressions getting posted over the next week or so! :wink:

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #265 of 2,728
(a bunch of pictures)

Let me know the bass potential on these HBB.

Also, how is the isolation (sound leakage) everyone? Suitable for work in a non-cubicle environment?

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #268 of 2,728
Campfire Audio unboxing pron

Enjoy

More shots on my blog, 25 photo limit per post here.

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

Regards
Expat
Photos above for those who missed them.

I concur with what Jackpot77 said above.

Here are some of my basic findings from intermittently picking up and listening to the Cascade whilst I leave it to get the recommended hours.

They have certainly improved with time.

The unboxing photos were done last Friday and I gave them a brief listen.

With the iBasso DX200/amp 1.

Friday afternoon: A little rough around the edges soundwise. A bit rusty and crusty. Like they were trying to perform but were restricted.

Saturday morning: still a few rough edges but not as prevalent.

Saturday afternoon/24 hours: Got that Vega feeling.

Sunday/ 48 hours or so: Still got that Vega sense about them.

Monday, midday/ approaching 75 hours: Symphonic.

Tuesday morning: combination of Vega and Andromeda.

Tuesday afternoon/ 100 hours: Depth and width. Vocals and music more balanced.
Great layering and sound stage.

Wednesday.
With Opus#1S - because I thought I should break/burn both in.
(Combo breaker- shoulda stuck to DX200 for consistancy in my findings- apologies)

Wednesday evening/124 hours: Smoother, deeper, exquisite.
Earpads need breaking in also for a decent seal.
Lovely vocal representation.
Bass at times still a bit slow and lingering.
Hits deep (whatever that means - I had a cold and fever that evening and today).

Thursday(Today)
Back to iBasso DX200/amp1

Thursday/today/in bed with a cold/150 hours: Overall the Cascade has tightened up considerably. Bass is faster and tamed.
Track reproduction is accurate and leans towards a reference sound.
Sound stage is more noticably expansive and instruments well placed.
Vocals centered well within ones skull.
Even though the pads havent been properly broken in the fit is better.

Quite stunning.

Regards
Expat

EBE9A9EC-F7E7-43DE-B632-A41911A57F10.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back