Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #287 of 2,728
If you guys haven’t you got to try the dampeners. I’m on the 15 micron one and it’s just freaking incredible.

Not had time to try these out yet - that's on the list for next week. What's the basic effect on the sound signature of the 15 micron pad? Just interested to know what sort of effect to expect.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #288 of 2,728
I tried number 2 and 4.

Based on these two it seems as you go finer in pore size you get a more extended TOP end, tighter and leaner Low end, and an overall cleaner sound.

Bear in mind I am extrapolating from the Two I heard, and that These wet quick listens, rather pressed for time at this moment.

In any case, with the 15 micron ones I’m getting a really clean cut sound, punchy and dynamic with a tight but incredibly impactful and deep Low end.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #289 of 2,728
It's here, and the family keeps on growing! As for the sound, it started a little muddled but the clarity grew as the day went along. I've been A/B testing with my Vega / Andromeda every so often so hopefully not a case of just the sound signature growing on me.

IMG_20180216_073513.jpg

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #291 of 2,728
Feb 17, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #297 of 2,728
Do any of you with the Cascade wear eyeglasses, and if so, how are the fit and sound? Do you have to take your glasses off for a good seal? I often find that to be an annoying issue, especially with closed cans.

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #298 of 2,728
I joined the club and picked up 1 of the 10 they had for sale at CanJam NYC.

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #299 of 2,728
I joined the club and picked up 1 of the 10 they had for sale at CanJam NYC.
Me too!! Burning in right now. But so far, pretty impressive!!

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #300 of 2,728
Me three! Great to meet Ken and the rest of the crew there. I made a beeline for the Campfire booth as soon as I got in and sampled the Cascade for a good amount of time. Sorry if anyone was waiting behind me :blush:. Tried the standard cable with my AK240 as well as a balanced cable out of one of the booth's Sony DAPs.

First impressions of it were that there was more bass than I expect BUT not too much that I would hate it. Some of the bass felt a little "boomy" but really not that much. If anything I think maybe of how spacious and open they sound it can give certain bass frequencies more air. Mids are nice, not very recessed and might even be more present on bass light tracks, and treble extends pretty well but missing that top end sizzle that you might get from Andromedas (although to be fair it's not fair to Ken to constantly want everything to sound like the Andromedas). I got to listen to a few of the other Campfire IEMs too (Lyra II, Polaris, and Dorado, and I thought they sounded very similar to the Lyra IIs (which I thought sounded quite good and my friend was convinced enough to get a pair himself). Wish I could have tried the Vega though. I didn't spend much time with the balanced cable set. I thought that separation improved a bit, the bass tightened up a bit with less of that boomy bass, although it was still there. But the change in source might have affected the sound. Isolation isn't too bad but set pretty high on my AK240 (vol 115) you could still hear the show floor. I wore them on the subway home and you could definitely hear the train and some of the babble but for how open they sound, the bleed isn't too bad.

They're made well, cups are finished nicely. Pads are nice and soft, held on magnetically with some nubs to key them in place and prevent them from sliding. I wear glasses and while they might skew really rigid frames a little, they aren't too tight; they're not bad because of how soft the pads are. But I've learned to ignore the discomfort through other headphones with worse pads so you may want to try them out first. They do also look a little silly on my head. I don't have a big head so the band sits really wide across the top. But in all honesty I think the rest of the design with the cups looks nice and they sound really good compared to my other portable headphones so I don't mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back