Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Feb 9, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #226 of 2,727
Thanks for the kind comments.

Would you believe the photos were taken with a ipod touch 6G?

I am presently letting music be played through them for a period of time and will report back in a couple of days.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #227 of 2,727
@KB

We don not hear the Cascade as boomy, the bass is prominent but we went to extraordinary lengths to make sure the low freq was very tight, and we feel we did a good job here. Yes I like electronic music, hip hop, rock and EDM and the Cascade excells at such.

I hope people can come to the NY show and listen. Also I have a bunch of review units going out so hopefully we will see some more detailed impressions and reviews.

Hi Ken,

I'm very impressed with your company. The Vega is my first iem when I joined this forum and recently it got issue and sent it back for repair. You guys replaced it with a brand new one. I didn't expect that at all and you earned my loyalty and respect on that day. Thank you.

Question: what's the weight of the Cascade? Are you guys going to SoCal Can Jam? If so, please have a balance cable in 4.4mm ready so people with Sony can enjoy the balance out.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #228 of 2,727
As the owner of Andro who recommended two of my friends to start with Jupiter, I have never been skeptical about the build quality of CA. The Cascade looks great to me, I prefer the design of the headphone does not attract too much attention in the crowded but also does not look cheap.
Couldn’t agree more, first glance they just look like a nice set of headphones. On second look, you will see they are extremely well made and of the highest quality. I’ve only seen a few pictures, but every time I look, the more I like them.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #230 of 2,727
I will say I'm really enjoying the Cascade now in my 3rd day with them. I've put in the #4 damping pad and have had them burning in with pink noise overnights. I feel like the #4 maybe shifts the bass response into the lower octaves and cleans up the low mids a bit. It could be pyschouaustic brain-burn-in adjustment or pad settling though. Really satisfying bass response now, and clear, crisp, yet non-fatiguing highs.

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #231 of 2,727
By the looks of it, @ExpatinJapan, they are a premium portable set. Very nice! Can't wait to hear your impressions.

I know tastes are very subjective, but personally, I was very puzzled by a comment I read earlier in the thread casting them as cheap looking. They have a very premium look to me!

I feel differently. I think the build quality looks pretty bad... The way they look does try to reveal a feeling of elegance out of them though, but the stitching (on both the pads or the band) is really crude, the leather on the headband feels not even, and the braiding of the cable looks really cheap. The headphone is quite heavy as I can tell rendering them less portable-friendly. The design, to me at least, is somehow reminiscent of the look of Monoprice 8323.

The HD800 connector choice increases the build cost by at least $28 and only causes trouble to buyers. This stupid connector won't help improve the sound, and it won't help secure the headphones too much, and the marginal improvement in the joint does not justify the inconvenience at all, so another disagreement from me. The best choice was obviously a dual 2.5mm entry IMO, and of course I'm not a headphone maker so I can't speak for CA. Just a friendly disagreement.

All I hope is they sound good when I finally get them. Can they at least sound good? Not sure. Can they sound $799 good? Even more doubts. It's not $399. It's $799. Twice the price of a TH-X00/PM3, same price as Aeon/street TH900/Ether C/Atticus. They just have to sound incredibly good to earn a homerun now.

Well, although I cannot yet fully appreciate the CA pursuits of a good closed back headphone, I gotta say I hope the headphone really would sound well, and eventually survive with some reputation.

$799 is a bold move though. Hope it's really $799 good.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #232 of 2,727
New user Cascade pictures seem to belie posts suggesting poor build quality to my eye.
Someone please measure inside opening of Cascade earpads and post on this thread.
No fan of high-mid-low bleed, exaggerated bass or painful treble.
Await opinions/reviews for Cascade used with Chord Hugo 2.
Now to get Tyll to review these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 10, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #233 of 2,727
These new user Cascade pictures refute posts suggesting poor build quality to my eye.
Someone please measure inside opening of Cascade earpads and post on this thread.
!

From the CA website

Earpad Dimensions Outside OD approx – 2.75-inch wide x 4 inch tall

Inside ID is approx – 1.5 inch wide x 2.5 inch

Sheep Leather Detachable Headphone Pads

https://campfireaudio.com/shop/cascade/

They have a couple of nice photos on there too:

BA4EF025-A814-41C2-BF84-BAC8554BF8C4.jpeg 02842C87-E97A-4DC4-AB65-35ED018B1D51.jpeg 7C1D9118-2527-459F-83C5-924D0DB006FA.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #234 of 2,727
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #236 of 2,727
They don't show the cables or pads in the store yet but I'm sure if you give it a few days they will probably appear just as the ones for the in-ears did.

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #240 of 2,727
The earpad & filter system reminds me of the Marshall Monitor on-ear headphone. The earpads attach magnetically as well & it has the FTF filter pads, which were basically thin felt inserts that dampened/warmed the sound. I loved everything about them, but the sound. :triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back