Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Feb 11, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #242 of 2,727
The earpad & filter system reminds me of the Marshall Monitor on-ear headphone. The earpads attach magnetically as well & it has the FTF filter pads, which were basically thin felt inserts that dampened/warmed the sound. I loved everything about them, but the sound. :triportsad:

The filter in the Cascade is different, it doesn't cover the driver, seems like it's covering what could be described as a vent of the driver.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #243 of 2,727
Any comparisons to the Audioquest NightOwl? It's another closed back in the same price range that's a bit overlooked due to mixed response over its open back counterpart. I enjoyed those greatly before upgrading to the Z1R and they also had a prominent mid-bass.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #244 of 2,727
Any comparisons to the Audioquest NightOwl? It's another closed back in the same price range that's a bit overlooked due to mixed response over its open back counterpart. I enjoyed those greatly before upgrading to the Z1R and they also had a prominent mid-bass.
I also want to know how it compares and contrasts to Z1R - even though it's not in the same price bracket. I adore the Z1R, but haven't found a case that lets me use it portably. This would be a good midpoint between the Aedle VK-1 and the Z1R for those week long "away from the home rig" ventures.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #245 of 2,727
Another Pic for you guys!!

20180212_153826_edited-01.jpeg

I will also be running this entirely balanced across 3-4 of my portable balanced set ups, so I'm excited to see how it goes! For now time for some pink noise

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #246 of 2,727
A huge thanks to Ken and Campfire. I just received a set of Cascades to take to Carolina Canfest this weekend. I should have some early impressions up in 48 hours, and a lot of comments from this weekends festivities. First thought is any worries any of you had on durability (myself included) are absolutely unfounded. These things are built like a brick $@i%house.

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #248 of 2,727
I'd also like to give @KB a big thank you as I too have a review pair, and while I'm still working out the details with him, I think a lot of you will be excited to hear there's a chance you'll get to demo this briefly over the next few weeks in your own homes!

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #250 of 2,727

I have not heard the audioquest nightowl but the cascade has pretty good mid bass you hear thumping if you like techno, hip hop music. the bass of this slams,
but controlled and detailed. I'm still in the burn in process and only using my iPhone 6 and it sounds good

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #253 of 2,727
the earpads are attached by magnets. simple to remove and replace.

I’ve been meaning to reply to this.

Obviously my earlier photo shoot doesnt display this feature....beeeecause....I didnt read the manual and went straight to burn in. My bad.

Heres a pic (now I also may know how the change of dampners works). :)

They fit so solidly that I didnt realize by all my looking and twisting and turning whilst taking the esrlier pics.

B30A0A5B-D256-4CBD-8D7F-5EE57DF5A416.jpeg

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #254 of 2,727
So far, I am thoroughly enjoying the native sound of the Cascade without playing with the filters, I really like the tuning as it suits my musical tastes quite well (Blues-Rock /Classic Rock/Rockabilly). It does have a touch of extra energy in the mid-bass but that does not translate into a noticeable bleed into the mids. Sub-bass is good in both depth and presence. One tune I always use for this is Vintage Trouble's Blues hand me down (the original version off the bomb shelter sessions) it gets very deep and very fast and I am happy to report that the Cascade is having no trouble keeping up with it and the vocals are nice and clear above the bass. Soundstage is somewhat intimate but still retains good separation and imaging. Seems to be a bit of extra energy at about the 8kHz mark too but again not enough to present a problem. The upper end I'm going to reserve any comment on until I have a chance to listen a bit more.

A couple little nitpicks,
1.) No 1/4 inch adapter in package - had to go find one to be able to plug these into my home setup to listen as they only come with the 3.5mm.
2.) a pouch or pocket in the case to store the cable would go a long way to prevent scratches as you have to remove the cable to fit the phones in the case and if laid loose in the case, it is a matter of time before scratches on either the cable connectors or the phones occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back