CanJam SoCal 2022 Impressions Thread (September 17-18, 2022)
Sep 21, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #436 of 638
Literally HD 25 is popular in part because it isolates well. For reference I have the same issue with the m100 masking the image in the tuning. The akg has the best overall tuning but sometimes could be more punchy, like the m100 or had-25.

Before you go drop massive bucks, I have to strongly recommend that you at least google search “Hd-25 best dj headphone” and/or try them. Especially in a performance setting. @DiscoProJoe

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #437 of 638
I'll try write up a better impression thread later but..

At the risk of sounding cliché, I will state that one experience that stood out to me the most was the people. I felt such a sense of belonging, excitement, and wonder, all thanks to the amazing people and brands there. So many that are passionate, knowledgable, yet still excited by everything there, both new and old. Shows and conventions for a hobby are great because we are all there sharing a similar passion.

Zach and Bevin from ZMF are some of the kindest people I encountered. The passion behind their brand and love for this industry was palpable. The folks at dCS were incredibly down to the earth and knowledgable. They were just as happy talking about music and headphones as their own stack. The folks at RAAL, Wells, Amp&Sound, T+A, VZR, Centrance, and more were all great to hang out and chat with. I'm leaving many great people and brands out, but I think this makes my point.

Regarding some audio gear, here are some cliff notes (for now):
Warwick Aperio blew my mind. It's almost like connecting a good DAC directly to your neural pathways. Incredible presence, clarity, and resolution. Not for bass heads. Very analytical without being over the top in any way. Built with incredible quality and detail. You could almost sense the power behind the planar electrostatic drivers.
Warwik Aperio.png

T+A Solitaire P with HA 200 Amp - Talk about speed an energy. They feel so eager to convey the song to you, almost like they sipped some espresso before hitting play. Transients are on another level, and I still found it to have excellent bass response. I didn't find the treble too fatiguing either. I think they will continue to grow in the US as the word gets out more. They also feel incredibly well built, easily one of the best in their price ranges.
T A Solitare HA 200.JPG

dCS Lina Stack - Seems to be as close to a reference sound as I've heard, but without it sounding too sterile or compressed. I find some "reference" or to some people, "flat" sounding stacks to sound too dull or lifeless, even with more lively headphones, but that wasn't the case here. The Lina seems to work with many different headphones. I was able to hear the Focal Utopia 2022 edition in this room for an extended period of time, and I think this was the best spot to hear those. Not only was the room quiet, but the stack paired incredibly well with the Utopia 2022 sound signature. I could see myself enjoying the new Utopias on them for hours at a time, as the Lina stack kept them in full control and eliminated some of the abrasiveness I observed in the main room (where the noise floor was much higher) . The Lina Stack with the Hifiman Susvara was simply sublime. This setup could easily rival the best pairings out there and, to many, would be their happy end game.
dcs lina.jpeg

Soekris entry level DAC (I think DAC1221) - This will be a new entry level R2R DAC that's slightly larger than a JDS atom, and will be selling for under $500. After enjoying my Denafrips Ares II and what it brought to my setup, a high quality R2R under $500 may be a great addition to a lot of people's gear without breaking the bank. R2R can be a lot of fun to listen to, so I'm excited to see this come to market soon.
soekris r2r.JPG

ZMF Caldera - I listened to multiple ZMF cans and they have so many hits on their hands. I can see why their room was always full. The Caldera may be one of my favorite planars I've listened to. Great bass response and presence, but not overly emphasized. ZMF sound but with planar characteristics, and a lively presentation in the upper midrange and treble. Imaging was incredible, and listening to songs like Radiohead's Identikit really took me for a ride. Perhaps one of my favorite headphones for the money right now, considering you don't need a special stack to enjoy them (as I picture them with a dCS stack below). It was the best photo I had of them!
caldera.jpeg

Meze 109 Pro - I'll keep this short and sweet. Typical Mesa build quality and beautiful (subjective) looks are still there. As far as sound quality goes, this may be the best valued options from Meze right now. Less bass heavy, more open, yet still intimate sounding. I think this will be wildly popular this year. Tonality was amazing at this price, and I think I could listen to all types of music on this headphone throughout an entire day.
Meze 109 Pro.jpeg

Audeze CRBN (connected to Mjolnir Audio amp)- I'll end my writeup with this one for now, as it took me on an emotional roller coaster. I sat down at the Audeze table so I could finally listen to the MM-500s and compare against the LCD-5X (both were excellent in their own way). They MM-500s were all tied up (all the excitement on them!), so they asked if I wanted to hear the CRBN. Of course I couldn't turn that down, so away I went. I sat at that seat longer than most spots in the show. I wouldn't even say it was my favorite headphone there, but it was the most revealing to me. Revealing beyond sound. The bass is incredibly tight, controlled. Almost like having small bites of filet mignon instead of big old chunks of Ribeye. I was craving more, but loving every bite. The mid range clarity and resolution blew me away. Vocals cut right through with such refinement and poise, it began surprising me. The highs were excellent, perhaps sounding better than most of the planar Audeze headphones I auditioned afterwards.

My roller-coaster was this... This setup got me a little emotional because a few things happened at once. I realized how early I was in my audio journey, and was reminded how beautiful music can be. I was listening to new music I haven't heard before (after a few of my benchmark go-to's), and some tracks just sounded so incredible. I went on a journey with the music which doesn't always happen, and it happened in the chaos of CanJam. This headphone, paired with that beautiful amp from Iceland, quickly reminded me how much more I had to discover in this space. It was eye opening and exciting at the same time. The same songs can be presented in so many different ways, and more than one can be "right".
Audeze CRBN.jpeg

Any way, I meant to write this 2 hours ago but ended up listening to some jams while reading what all of you had to share so far. I'm beat.

Edit - Added some pics

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #438 of 638
Anybody had a chance to listen Centrance new DacMini2?

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #439 of 638
Ah I see. Did you build a saber? Wish we had a chance to meet, perhaps next year! :relaxed:
Hi, yes... most definitely. Saber built and lots more SW 'goodies' added to my suitcase on that Sunday 😂 Unfortunately, my time spent in SoCal went by too quickly. With the Queens passing I had to pay my respects by watching the Funeral. That cost me an afternoon. Although a lovely day was had on Saturday at CanJam, Credit Cards were flexed overly, I left knowing that I was able to hear and see all that was of interest to me. A lot of quick moving about that day but came away with some nice Headphones, (which were reserved before my visit) and was surprised by a pair of IEM's, I bought them too. Fantastic deals offered on both so came away with great excitement. We will meet next year most definitely, unless you're going to be at Singapore CanJam, whereby I may be in Thailand around the same time, so not too far to travel to. Cheers and thanks to all who participated with the show and its operation! 🍻

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #440 of 638
CanJam SoCal Impressions

Sitting here back at home over coffee & relaxing with my cats on Sunday morning trying to gather my thoughts over what was a thrilling, exhausting, emotional, breakneck, and ultimately eminently satisfying weekend. My heart, mind and spirit are full right now-- and not merely from the fact that for two days I was essentially a kid in the candy store I've been dreaming of for the last two years. On the surface I came to SoCal to demo gear, and indeed that was a pre-eminent highlight of the weekend. But in retrospect I can tell even now that the true magic of this past weekend, besides it being my CanJam deflowering, was the fellowship and community I share with so many fellow enthusiasts this last few days-- something no doubt magnified tremendously by the crushing weight of isolation so many felt over the course of the last few years. It was so nice to attach faces to so many names, to see people light up in person when hearing something for the first time, or to directly share the joy with someone when you're both talking about something you both love.

Regarding the events of this weekend I am reminded of the following quote:

"To a traveler standing near a mountain range many eminences seem to have approximately the same altitude; it is difficult to disengage Everest from its lofty neighbors. But as the range recedes in the distance, the highest peak lifts more and more above its fellows, until it alone fills the horizon."

I imagine something similar will hold true with respect to the community bonding of the last few days.

Following will be my best attempt at an impressions post of the last few days. Before I get going a couple general caveats and points to note regarding my impressions.

1) Most of what I will be talking about are IEMs & sources that I heard for the first time this weekend. As such I will not pretend to be able to be truly comprehensive with anything as my demos in all cases were by necessity brief and done along side the breakneck pace and underlying excitement, noise and enthusiasm of the event. The most I can say now is simply whether or not I liked something and what I noticed off the cuff. Everything I say here is subject to revision pending more time & thought with the gear in question.

2) I try to avoid saying things like "a is better than b" in a general way as quite often a and b don't really compare in an apples-apples way. Is the Aroma Jewel "better" than the Fir Kr5? Well...it depends. They both do totally different things and either could be "better" or totally undesirable depending on what you're looking for and what you prioritize.

3) I have a fetish for single driver setups as I feel the coherence you get is worth its weight in audio gold. Because I put a lot of stock in this something like my Campfire Supermoon excels for me in ways that no hybrid setup, no matter how complex or nuanced, can compete with. This might not hold for you and, well, YMMV there.

4) All listening here, unless otherwise noted, was done through my AK SR25ii.

Started the event of right with one of our custom Watercooler name tags courtesy of @HiFiHawaii808

DB647DA2-0FC7-45E6-982E-6144556026B3.JPEG

IMG_0510.JPG

Favorite IEMs heard:

The Campfire Trifecta was the show stopper for me. Impressions of this IEM so far have been very mixed—with I would say the majority being less than favorable somehow. I had thought to myself that CFA had at best a bit of a misfire on their hands. That being said I wasn’t even expecting the Trifecta to be at the show given that it’s a limited edition, sold out everywhere, and most importantly that Campfire wasn’t even going to be present. It was then with a combination of surprise, delight and trepidation that came over me when, immediately entering the show floor on Saturday morning, the first thing that grabbed my attention at the Bloom table was the Trifecta in a disembodied hand reaching from the clouds and beckoning me to listen. I wasn’t expecting much and I am ashamed to say that it was mostly morbid curiosity that compelled me to sit down and listen. Trifecta impressed me immediately with it’s massive ballsy sound, impeccable coherence, solid resolution and beautiful dynamic & analogue timbre. This is a sound that completely embraces you with warmth and depth and takes you for a ride. Unlike CFA’s previous DD only units that suffered from some combination of veiled mids, metallic treble, overdone bass or crap extension—the Trifecta, in my brief time with it, gets everything right. Bear in mind that I’m a bass & lower mids fiend, as that is what a lot of my library is, and I don’t listen to a lot of female vocals. I went back to the table 4 times over the two days and gave the Trifecta a good once over and continued to find it utterly compelling with the only false note being treble that is a touch aggressive (but nicely extended and never metallic) at times…but never to the point that I hit skip. CFA’s house sound has always existed along two prongs. You have the highly technical with a dash of fun sound of the Andromeda and utterly perfected in the Supermoon, and then you have the more hair on the beast & what I characterize as a “balls deep in dynamic swagger” type sound that Ken Ball has been obviously been passionate about for years but never quite perfected until now. The three DDs in the Trifecta, positioned as they are, act as so many matches whose intensity increases exponentially when they are brought together give the illusion that one is listening to a full size single DD headphone. Single DD and single driver enthusiasts should give the Trifecta a serious look. Approach it with an open mind, you may be very pleasantly surprised.

307665196_1829842750695489_6370865747880627603_n.jpg

Hot on the heels of the CFA Trifecta was the Noble Viking Ragnar. Ragnar may be the closest thing to a bonafide Traillii competitor I’ve yet heard. I was able to hear the Ragnar over a few demos starting with an early peek on Friday night. The sound is pleasantly energetic and immediately engaging with the highlight, I would say, being the midrange. I never had any issues with the upper mids or highs but for those who like a more relaxed presentation this may not be the best option. It’s not exactly a basshead either— I would say it’s between Jewel and Traillii in quantity and arguably superior in quality to either. Recommended for people who enjoy the Jewel but would like something a little more energetic and engaging. I could even see this being a great compliment to the Bird for many. Also build quality is utterly top tier—that Damascus shell is really something. Puts the Jewel to shame in this dept. The cable is excellent too.

8165187D-C8FC-49E4-8F3E-BA0026ED8B6C.JPEG

Astell & Kern Odyssey. I was eager to hear this IEM because of some private chats I’ve had with some EE enthusiasts I consider reliable. The hope is that it would be something along the lines of an IEM with bass quantity more than Odin but less than EVO and less upper mids than both IEMs. There is nothing at all fatiguing about this IEM so if you’re on the fence because of EE’s prior upper mid tuning (I finally got to hear Evo this weekend and the upper mids there murdered my ears) but really love their sound otherwise this may well be the IEM you’re dreaming of. I will say one thing here about this IEM and EE’s sound in general that I have noticed from my experience with LX, Odin and Bravado II. Empire Ears house sound consists in what I refer to as an “observer oriented” presentation. When listening to their IEMs you’re in the perspective of an audience member watching the presentation about a row or two back. Sony is another company I would say has this sort of presentation and I could see it appealing especially to old school 2 channel enthusiasts. It stands in contrast to what I would describe as an “in your face” presentation where, instead of from the perspective of an audience member, you’re totally immersed in the sound—it’s all around you. Campfire Audio is a company who specializes in this type of sound and my overall preference for it is one of the things that has endeared me to this brand over the year. Fir Audio is another one. I would say the Noble Viking Ragnor is slightly in this category and this, along with its midrange emphasis contrasted with the more bass centred sound of the Odyssey (which is by no means a basshead IEM but whose bass grabs your attention more than the Ragnar, whose midrange & highs are more central) comprise the biggest differences between these two IEMs. Both are top tier—choose your poison.

IMG_0517.JPG

The Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor was my first exposure to UM’s Mason line and I was impressed off the bat—full spectrum goodness with great BA/BC bass and mids so seductive I wonder how this IEM comes from the same company responsible for the synthetic mids that characterize the whole Mest lineup to my ears. Imagine a Phonix minus a bit of the midrange magic (VE are still among the GOATS here) but better everything else and you have the Mentor. If I wasn’t so inherently averse to BAs (despite how good this is) I would be seriously considering it. Of the other UM IEMs I listened to the Mentor is most like the Mason FS...which I consider to be a slight downgrade.

63E5D1A1-1E63-45CC-AB70-C2E955B85A0B.JPEG

I was enjoying breakfast with some fellow Watercooler-ers on Saturday morning and I had a chance to hear @morserotonin's Aroma Thunder. I didn’t know what to expect at first. Jewel (build quality aside) is a summit fi IEM for sure but it’s too reference sounding for me—YMMV there—and on account of that I’d kind of kept the Aroma Thunder hype at bay. When I put them in my ears I was totally blown away. They’re not the most sophisticated sound perhaps but they’re super engaging with fantastic bass, present clear mids, well extended treble and don’t do anything really wrong that I could detect. Perhaps not the best in any single category but I’m at a loss to find many IEMs that are as much of a fun yet sufficiently technical sounding total package that the Thunder is.

C113AD38-E6B2-4D34-842B-DFFF1B012A0C.JPEG

Favorite sources: For me this is a tie between the Hiby RS8 and the Sony WM1ZM2.
The RS8 has a beautifully seductive and analogue tonality...it is a perfect match with my Supermoon. Software seems a little laggy and buggy to me at times—the player froze a few times on me when trying to navigate and sweet jumping jebus is the player a brick. It’s the heaviest DAP on the market and for be very hard to pocket given it’s tendency to pull one’s pants down. I don’t have a lot of experience here but the RS8 is just what I’d imagined a TOTL R2R to sound like—a flowing river of analogue & technical sound. On the other hand Sony sexy is a thing. My demo with the WM1ZM2 was not ideal because it wouldn’t let me load my own SD card into it—as such my demo was very superficial and I didn’t get to listen to any songs I know. But damn that player is a work of aesthetic perfection and is probably edging the RS8 for me for just that reason.

IMG_0523.JPG

Disappointments: The Elysian Diva didn't impress me-- which is too bad because that was the one IEM I’d squirreled away funds for and thought I might buy. It gives you a taste of the top tier treble Elysian is known for, and the mids are decent enough but…the bass does not do it for me. The thing with Elysian so far for me, which is kind of the inverse of a problem with many IEMs that focus too much on bass to the expense of mids or treble, is that while the treble is summit fi the bass often is far from it. On the Diva the bass was too boomy for me on the max setting and on the middle setting the Diva like a low-res Supermoon (which I was a/b’ing with it) with limp bass and marginally more seductive mids. On its own terms the Diva may even be a great IEM but for me having the Supermoon more-or less renders it redundant.

The Astell & Kern SP3K seemed mediocre coming from RS8 and didn't do the Odyssey any favors to my ears. I didn’t even like the Odyssey until I plugged it into my SR25ii.

I tried the UM Indigo on two occasions. It didn’t really connect with me for the same reason neither prior Mest I’ve heard has fully connected with me—it’s a technical powerhouse with zero emotion in the mids. Once the fireworks wear off there’s nothing of substance for me to sink my heart and teeth into.

I tried the Dunu planar hybrid (in planar only mode) and it was…well...meh. Coming from Supermoon’s stage &, especially, the fantastic bass it just didn’t cut it. Even at the $200 price point I’d probably still take the Timeless. YMMV.

Other random points:

1) The Aroma Ace is a great all BA IEM, as is the Oriolus Mellianus-- both are overpriced though.

2) Traillii may very well still be the GOAT-- it knocked my socks off today, and through my SR25ii no less. I put it in and literally lost track of time for like 30 minutes in lala land.. given the events and surroundings that is noteworthy. Still not sure about the bass in the long term though.

IMG_0524.JPG

3) The Elysian Annihilator is mostly a great IEM— hearing its treble performance through the Hiby RS8 was a thing to behold. But the bass is too weak and loose for it to be a top tier IEM for me. The tragic thing is this may not even be a tuning problem but a cheap driver problem—if the Annihilator had a bass driver of the same quality as CFA, EE or Sony’s…and less power demanding e-stats…well this could make me want to spend $4K on it. As it stands now it falls short of the mark for me.

4) I loved the Fourte and it's my presently my favourite 64 IEM. Still it’s showing its age on today’s market. I’ve heard rumours of a Fourte MKii possibly on the horizon and I will be watching for tha VERY closely. u18t is just as sterile as I remember and Trio is still too thin and bright for me.

IMG_0516.JPG

5) Thanks to @theveterans I heard an OG Andromeda for the first time ever in the form of a Pacific Blue edition and I absolutely loved it. I think I may even prefer it to the 2020...would need to a/b. Hiss free through my SR25ii.

9A893EA5-0039-4637-B646-91685A32CB1C.JPEG

6) I really enjoyed my time chatting with Eric from Eletech—he’s one of the most passionate and kind people I’ve met in this hobby. I tried the Ode to Laura and it wasn’t the best match with my Supermoon-- it totally nerfed the bass but it did a lot of clarity to the mids & highs. Ironically this may have made me a full on cable believer. Talking to Eric about this and we figure the gold plated copper of my Victoria may offer the perfect synergy with Supermoon. We talked about the Jewel and he said it’s the IEM he uses to tune but that he wouldn’t listen to it for enjoyment. That’s basically how I see it.

7) The Stax 009 & Blue Hawaii is the greatest headphone/IEM product I've ever heard. And it's not close. Well actually Susvara is a close second. I couldn’t bring myself to listen to anything else for like an hour after I heard it.

12256C43-C661-4146-9679-D56A3F49AFCE.JPEG

8) Biggest out of nowhere was the EE/Elysian collab Gaea. I picked it up when I had 5 minutes to kill in an idle moment and it totally surprised me. I liked it more than Diva—it’s got much better bass at the very least. It was an enaging & dynamic set but consider this only the hottest of hot takes because of how short it was. I’m fortunate to be part of a tour and should get ears on this again soon. Stay tuned.

9) Perhaps the biggest surprise was this small Singaporean company called FatFreq. I actually met them all in the elevator when I first arrived and was heading out to my room and finally got around to checking out their table on Sunday morning. I tried their Maestro (?) sub-flagship and entry level models. These IEMs have some of most singularly unique and engaging bass I’ve ever heard in an IEM. Impressive still is all the mid-range and top end clarity. I would have bought the $500 mini-Maestro for $500 except there was no vent on the front and the BA was sitting right there. I’d be to paranoid a fleck of dust would get in and wreck it. Still I will be following these guys (and girl) and will be purchasing one of their IEMs eventually. Watch for them.

7BFC7382-E3F2-49F3-80BB-CB27758BDD41.JPEG

8EC370C4-455F-4D26-89AD-BF02F08C91C3.JPEG

@HiFiHawaii808 @discord and all the other Cooler members I was privileged to meet are great people. Was a beautiful and exhausting couple days I will never forget.

AC76E02D-6E15-4421-9C8E-653078DA6235.JPEG

Also Musicteck/Andrew is the Goat of Goats. It was fun meeting my dealer in person for the first time.

D69A7C85-D69C-4E33-8212-2285A8053E62 2.jpeg

As a plus I got to enjoy some Michelin Star (vegan) Ramen (along with some vegan water LMAO).

F5CB5C2D-315F-478A-9918-2567AB38E970.JPEG

As a final gesture this little guy bid me farewell:

68050B8F-DB07-4F1E-8E4C-BE159495AA87.JPEG

It was a slice everyone...thanks for the memories.

Thank you for this post from someone too far away to be able to be present.

I wish one day I can attend a CanJam and live this experience.

Cheers to you!

This was an epic CanJam experience. It was so big, I could have used 2 more days to hear everything I wanted to hear and that includes the fact that I have already heard a lot of current products in my last 3 CanJam experiences. This is my first attempt to create an overall impressions post. I hope you like it. It is a summary of the products I really loved at CanJam Socal 2022.

First of all, I came along with what we call the Watercooler Travelling team. We post on this thread: The Watercooler:

From left to right: @Skyediver, @morserotonin, @Rockwell75, @HiFiHawaii808, @wolfstar76, @stacey, @discord, @Shecky504

IMG_2509.jpg

At CanJam Socal, my favorite portable products were these:

Best new DAP: Hiby RS8. Finally, a TOTL R2R DAP with Android for Streaming. I A/B tested this DAP vs. LP6 Gold and I preferred the sound of the RS8. The sound was more powerful and dynamic with that great R2R natural sound and treble response with great bass. It takes the already great RS6 and takes it up a few levels. I already got on the wait list for buying this DAP.

Here is a picture of the Hiby RS8 paired with the T+A Solitaire P headphone.

IMG_2506.jpg

Best of Show for new IEMs.

Win: Astell & Kern/Empire Ears Odyssey
. To me, this is what I hoped for in an Odin II. It has that glorious bass response you would expect from Empire Ears and their W9+ Dynamic Drivers. But, it also has bone conduction, slightly tamed down upper mids and better treble response. Paired with the First Times Cable and my N8ii, I found it to be the best Empire Ears product yet and I am a huge Empire Ears fan. I plan on buying it.

Astell & Kern / Empire Ears Odyssey

IMG_2475.jpg

Place: Noble Viking Ragnar. This IEM is focused on the mids and I love great mids. From the moment I put these into my ears, I was hooked and totally engaged. It has a big and present sound. The key to a great mids focused IEM is to make sure the bass and treble are sufficient so it doesn't sound bass light and the treble isn't veiled. I think that Noble knocked this one out of the park by finding that balance. I bought this IEM.

Noble Viking Ragnar

IMG_2485.jpg

Show: Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor. For a 12 BA and bone conduction driver. It has big bass. The tuning is fantastic and borders on bass head levels of bass. I think this is the best BA bass I have ever heard. Leo from UM told me that they custom designed new drivers for the bass which gives it is texture which is uncharacteristic of BA drivers. I honestly did not know the driver configuration when I heard it and I though it had dynamic drivers. If it weren't for the above 2 IEMs, I would have bought this. Maybe in the future.

Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor

IMG_2484.jpg

New Cable for Traillii and Advar.

I did not have time to listen and compare all of the great new cables. I did have a mission which was to find 2 new cables. One for Traillii and one for Meze Advar.

For Traillii, I heard that several good candidates were Effect Audio Centurion, Eletech Ode to Laura, First Times Shielding or Meet Again. I already own First Times Shielding and Meet Again and I have a lot of PW Audio cables so I wanted to try something else. Centurion is an outstanding cable. I loved it when I first heard it. But, for Traillii, it killed the bass response. It was too bright. I preferred First Times Shielding. Then, when I paired it with Ode to Laura, it has just the right balance I was seeking. Not too bassy, not too bright. Just the right balance of everything I care about. Bass, mids and treble. And, with a very nice look. The Meet Again cable I may have preferred slightly, especially the new Special Edition, but the green color did not work with the Traillii reddish color. It would go with a nice green IEM. What is my new pairing for Traillii?

Eletech Ode to Laura

IMG_2471.jpg

For Advar, I love the IEM, but I hate the cable. Terrible feel to it. I went to Effect Audio to see if it any of its new Signature Series cables would work. I already heard Ares S and Cadmus in the prototype phase. So, I first tried Eros S. Way too bright and lost the bass response. Same thing with Cadmus. The best pairing was with Ares S. I love the ergonomics of the cable, so I bought it.

Effect Audio Ares S

IMG_2536.jpg

My favorite desktop products at CanJam Socal were as follows:

Full Sized Headphones:

Win: ZMF Caldera. This is the new ZMF Planar headphone. Bevin was nice enough to let me take a pair out into the show room and listen to it with a lot of different amps. By far my favorite pairing was with the DIY amp ZMF had in its demo room. It is known as the Glenn GL3. If they offered this for sale, I would buy it at any price. Paired with the ZMF Caldera, it was end game sound. It was truly one of the few moments where I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Second favorite was with the Ampsandsound Red October where it took on a very smooth characteristic. Then, the Wells Audio stack which is my dream desktop system where the sound stage expands to sound like a 2 channel system. I will be buying this headphone when it comes out in November.

ZMF Caldera paired with Cayin HA-3A amp

IMG_2518.jpg

What makes the Caldera special is that it sounds like a combination of a Dynamic Driver and Planar headphone. It is just a planar, but Zach tuned it in a way that it maintains that ZMF mid forward sound with technical attributes of a planar making it a one of a kind sound. Interestingly, when you pair the Caldera with different amps, it takes on different characteristics like a chameleon. Zach was aiming for a different sound instead of just competing with planars. I think he achieved it. It sounds like a ZMF headphone, but with the resolution of a planar. Truly spectacular and different. Couple these sound attributes with the beautiful artisan woodwork that only ZMF is known for and you have a one of a kind headphone that everyone should take a moment to hear. It's probably why Zach's demo room was the busiest of the entire show.

Glenn GL3 Custom Amp (I want this amp).

IMG_2519.jpg

Place: Stax SR-X9000. This is my current favorite headphone. I heard it first in Chicago and then at another headfier's home. This time, I got to hear it against other Electrostats including the Shangri-la jr and sr and I loved the X9000 more than any of them. In an A/B test of X9000 vs. Susvara, my prior number 1, the X9000 edged it out due its slightly larger stage. Both have fantastic tonality especially for female jazz vocals and classical music. What is truly fascinating about the X9000 is it does not have an overly ethereal sound typical of other electrostatic headphones.

Stax SR-X9000 paired with Woo Audio 3ES Electostatic Amp

IMG_2529.jpg

Show: T+A Solitaire P. This headphone has fantastic bass. It can really dig deep and extends all they down to 10 hz and below. I got to hear this in a quiet environment since the T+A guys were having problems with their demo set up and I provided them with some cables to help them to allow DAPs to connect to their amp. This the third time I have heard them and this time properly amped. I can say it is fantastic and truly worthy of the praise it is getting from those lucky enough to have heard it. In addition, it can be powered by an DAP. I did get a unique opportunity to hear it paired with the new RS8 DAP from Hiby courtesy of Musicteck. I thought it was a bit under powered because I had it all the way up to 80 to hear the full frequency response, especially its great subbass, but this could be because of the noisy show room floor.

T+A Solitaire P with HA200 Headphone amp

IMG_2486.jpg

AMPs.

I did not have enough time to hear all of the amps I had on my demo list. So, unfortunately, this is not a comprehensive list. But, it does reflect the best of what I heard. The way I judge an amp is if it can properly drive my Susvara. That means it has it normally great mids and revealing treble, but also delivers a great bass response. I usually say that if a Susvara sounds bass light, it is because it is not properly amped.

My favorite amp is the Wells Audio Headtrip II level III monoblocks. I never like the LCD5 until I heard it on this amp. In fact everything sounds good on it. It provided another mind blowing experience. Stage outside of the head. Great separation and resolution. Sounds more like speakers than headphones. I think this amp can make my AirPods pro sound like Susvara.

Headtrip II level III monoblock amps with Commander Level III tube preamplifier and Cipher Tube DAC (my dream end game system)

IMG_2491.jpg

Second favorite is the Woo Audio WA33. This sounds just so good with the 1266TC. The 1266TC really needs a tube amp with great mids to sound right and this amp does it right. It is nearly as good as the Wells Audio system at a fraction of the cost.

Woo Audio WA33

IMG_2533.jpg

Third favorite was the new Woo Audio WA23. Besides making my Susvara sing with a great bass response. It is a beautiful work of art.

Woo Audio WA23 LUNA with my personal Susvara

IMG_2530.jpg

Ampsandsound Red October paired with ZMF Caldera. I love how smooth this made all of my headphones sound especially Susvara. Great bass and smooth treble and overall sound.
IMG_2520.jpg

I got to heard the Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp. I liked it, but I was really looking forward to hearing how the AHB2 speaker amp would sound with my Susvara to see if a speaker amp would level up the sound. Maybe next time.

IMG_2522.jpg

I also did not have time to listen to the Zahl HM1. Next time.

Thanks so much to the head fi team for putting on a great show. I wish it could be over 4-days

IMG_2501.jpg

My favorite reviewers
@Resolve

IMG_2498.jpg

@Precogvision

IMG_2502.jpg

The one and only @crinacle

IMG_2466.jpg

Jack and Dean Vang of Empire Ears. The genius behind their IEMs.

IMG_2472.jpg

I have a bunch more pictures, but a post has a limit of 25, so I will stop here. Thank you Head fi for putting on this terrific show. Next Stop. NYC.

I’m reading through all this, trying to get a feel for what I missed.

You’ve made it harder for me... in a good way... sort of. You get my meaning, I hope.

Cheers to you.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #441 of 638
This was an epic CanJam experience. It was so big, I could have used 2 more days to hear everything I wanted to hear and that includes the fact that I have already heard a lot of current products in my last 3 CanJam experiences. This is my first attempt to create an overall impressions post. I hope you like it. It is a summary of the products I really loved at CanJam Socal 2022.

First of all, I came along with what we call the Watercooler Travelling team. We post on this thread: The Watercooler:

From left to right: @Skyediver, @morserotonin, @Rockwell75, @HiFiHawaii808, @wolfstar76, @stacey, @discord, @Shecky504

IMG_2509.jpg

At CanJam Socal, my favorite portable products were these:

Best new DAP: Hiby RS8. Finally, a TOTL R2R DAP with Android for Streaming. I A/B tested this DAP vs. LP6 Gold and I preferred the sound of the RS8. The sound was more powerful and dynamic with that great R2R natural sound and treble response with great bass. It takes the already great RS6 and takes it up a few levels. I already got on the wait list for buying this DAP.

Here is a picture of the Hiby RS8 paired with the T+A Solitaire P headphone.

IMG_2506.jpg

Best of Show for new IEMs.

Win: Astell & Kern/Empire Ears Odyssey
. To me, this is what I hoped for in an Odin II. It has that glorious bass response you would expect from Empire Ears and their W9+ Dynamic Drivers. But, it also has bone conduction, slightly tamed down upper mids and better treble response. Paired with the First Times Cable and my N8ii, I found it to be the best Empire Ears product yet and I am a huge Empire Ears fan. I plan on buying it.

Astell & Kern / Empire Ears Odyssey

IMG_2475.jpg

Place: Noble Viking Ragnar. This IEM is focused on the mids and I love great mids. From the moment I put these into my ears, I was hooked and totally engaged. It has a big and present sound. The key to a great mids focused IEM is to make sure the bass and treble are sufficient so it doesn't sound bass light and the treble isn't veiled. I think that Noble knocked this one out of the park by finding that balance. I bought this IEM.

Noble Viking Ragnar

IMG_2485.jpg

Show: Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor. For a 12 BA and bone conduction driver. It has big bass. The tuning is fantastic and borders on bass head levels of bass. I think this is the best BA bass I have ever heard. Leo from UM told me that they custom designed new drivers for the bass which gives it is texture which is uncharacteristic of BA drivers. I honestly did not know the driver configuration when I heard it and I though it had dynamic drivers. If it weren't for the above 2 IEMs, I would have bought this. Maybe in the future.

Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor

IMG_2484.jpg

New Cable for Traillii and Advar.

I did not have time to listen and compare all of the great new cables. I did have a mission which was to find 2 new cables. One for Traillii and one for Meze Advar.

For Traillii, I heard that several good candidates were Effect Audio Centurion, Eletech Ode to Laura, First Times Shielding or Meet Again. I already own First Times Shielding and Meet Again and I have a lot of PW Audio cables so I wanted to try something else. Centurion is an outstanding cable. I loved it when I first heard it. But, for Traillii, it killed the bass response. It was too bright. I preferred First Times Shielding. Then, when I paired it with Ode to Laura, it has just the right balance I was seeking. Not too bassy, not too bright. Just the right balance of everything I care about. Bass, mids and treble. And, with a very nice look. The Meet Again cable I may have preferred slightly, especially the new Special Edition, but the green color did not work with the Traillii reddish color. It would go with a nice green IEM. What is my new pairing for Traillii?

Eletech Ode to Laura

IMG_2471.jpg

For Advar, I love the IEM, but I hate the cable. Terrible feel to it. I went to Effect Audio to see if it any of its new Signature Series cables would work. I already heard Ares S and Cadmus in the prototype phase. So, I first tried Eros S. Way too bright and lost the bass response. Same thing with Cadmus. The best pairing was with Ares S. I love the ergonomics of the cable, so I bought it.

Effect Audio Ares S

IMG_2536.jpg

My favorite desktop products at CanJam Socal were as follows:

Full Sized Headphones:

Win: ZMF Caldera. This is the new ZMF Planar headphone. Bevin was nice enough to let me take a pair out into the show room and listen to it with a lot of different amps. By far my favorite pairing was with the DIY amp ZMF had in its demo room. It is known as the Glenn GL3. If they offered this for sale, I would buy it at any price. Paired with the ZMF Caldera, it was end game sound. It was truly one of the few moments where I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Second favorite was with the Ampsandsound Red October where it took on a very smooth characteristic. Then, the Wells Audio stack which is my dream desktop system where the sound stage expands to sound like a 2 channel system. I will be buying this headphone when it comes out in November.

ZMF Caldera paired with Cayin HA-3A amp

IMG_2518.jpg

What makes the Caldera special is that it sounds like a combination of a Dynamic Driver and Planar headphone. It is just a planar, but Zach tuned it in a way that it maintains that ZMF mid forward sound with technical attributes of a planar making it a one of a kind sound. Interestingly, when you pair the Caldera with different amps, it takes on different characteristics like a chameleon. Zach was aiming for a different sound instead of just competing with planars. I think he achieved it. It sounds like a ZMF headphone, but with the resolution of a planar. Truly spectacular and different. Couple these sound attributes with the beautiful artisan woodwork that only ZMF is known for and you have a one of a kind headphone that everyone should take a moment to hear. It's probably why Zach's demo room was the busiest of the entire show.

Glenn GL3 Custom Amp (I want this amp).

IMG_2519.jpg

Place: Stax SR-X9000. This is my current favorite headphone. I heard it first in Chicago and then at another headfier's home. This time, I got to hear it against other Electrostats including the Shangri-la jr and sr and I loved the X9000 more than any of them. In an A/B test of X9000 vs. Susvara, my prior number 1, the X9000 edged it out due its slightly larger stage. Both have fantastic tonality especially for female jazz vocals and classical music. What is truly fascinating about the X9000 is it does not have an overly ethereal sound typical of other electrostatic headphones.

Stax SR-X9000 paired with Woo Audio 3ES Electostatic Amp

IMG_2529.jpg

Show: T+A Solitaire P. This headphone has fantastic bass. It can really dig deep and extends all they down to 10 hz and below. I got to hear this in a quiet environment since the T+A guys were having problems with their demo set up and I provided them with some cables to help them to allow DAPs to connect to their amp. This the third time I have heard them and this time properly amped. I can say it is fantastic and truly worthy of the praise it is getting from those lucky enough to have heard it. In addition, it can be powered by an DAP. I did get a unique opportunity to hear it paired with the new RS8 DAP from Hiby courtesy of Musicteck. I thought it was a bit under powered because I had it all the way up to 80 to hear the full frequency response, especially its great subbass, but this could be because of the noisy show room floor.

T+A Solitaire P with HA200 Headphone amp

IMG_2486.jpg

AMPs.

I did not have enough time to hear all of the amps I had on my demo list. So, unfortunately, this is not a comprehensive list. But, it does reflect the best of what I heard. The way I judge an amp is if it can properly drive my Susvara. That means it has it normally great mids and revealing treble, but also delivers a great bass response. I usually say that if a Susvara sounds bass light, it is because it is not properly amped.

My favorite amp is the Wells Audio Headtrip II level III monoblocks. I never like the LCD5 until I heard it on this amp. In fact everything sounds good on it. It provided another mind blowing experience. Stage outside of the head. Great separation and resolution. Sounds more like speakers than headphones. I think this amp can make my AirPods pro sound like Susvara.

Headtrip II level III monoblock amps with Commander Level III tube preamplifier and Cipher Tube DAC (my dream end game system)

IMG_2491.jpg

Second favorite is the Woo Audio WA33. This sounds just so good with the 1266TC. The 1266TC really needs a tube amp with great mids to sound right and this amp does it right. It is nearly as good as the Wells Audio system at a fraction of the cost.

Woo Audio WA33

IMG_2533.jpg

Third favorite was the new Woo Audio WA23. Besides making my Susvara sing with a great bass response. It is a beautiful work of art.

Woo Audio WA23 LUNA with my personal Susvara

IMG_2530.jpg

Ampsandsound Red October paired with ZMF Caldera. I love how smooth this made all of my headphones sound especially Susvara. Great bass and smooth treble and overall sound.
IMG_2520.jpg

I got to heard the Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp. I liked it, but I was really looking forward to hearing how the AHB2 speaker amp would sound with my Susvara to see if a speaker amp would level up the sound. Maybe next time.

IMG_2522.jpg

I also did not have time to listen to the Zahl HM1. Next time.

Thanks so much to the head fi team for putting on a great show. I wish it could be over 4-days

IMG_2501.jpg

My favorite reviewers
@Resolve

IMG_2498.jpg

@Precogvision

IMG_2502.jpg

The one and only @crinacle

IMG_2466.jpg

Jack and Dean Vang of Empire Ears. The genius behind their IEMs.

IMG_2472.jpg

I have a bunch more pictures, but a post has a limit of 25, so I will stop here. Thank you Head fi for putting on this terrific show. Next Stop. NYC.
It was great meeting you at the Zmf room sunday, I was there to witness the Glenn amp + Caldera combo first hand haha I came away impressed too it was my favorite headphone at canjam.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #442 of 638
Not sure if people answered you yet as I'm going through this thread from start to finish. The Grand Maestro was a blast to listen to. After listening to the Mini 1/2s for a while, I enjoyed them because they had a pretty unique and fun sounding profile without be too boxy sounding or creating too much sibilance. The Grand Maestro's special sauce came in resolution. They still had that signature bass punch that dug deep, but I found the detail retrieval to be much better than I expected considering the tune. I checked out so much gear I can't recall the price but I believe it was nearly four times the price of the Mini 2 (don't quote me on this though!). I'm not sure it'd be worth 4 times the price, but the overall performance was exceptional.
To my knowledge (also potentiallly wrong). The Grand Maestro were above $3000 where as the Maestro Minis were somewhere in the $400 range. Pretty big jump.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #443 of 638
Thanks to everyone who came by the Headphones.com booth during the weekend! It was great meeting all of you.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #444 of 638
Glenn amp + Caldera combo first hand haha I came away impressed too it was my favorite headphone at canjam.
I only tried the Caldera on a handful of amps, but my 2 favorites were Glenn EL3N amp (unobtanium tube amp) and Wells Audio's Milo (solid state amp, with a tube soul and a muscle car engine's power). :L3000:

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #446 of 638
I only tried the Caldera on a handful of amps, but my 2 favorites were Glenn EL3N amp (unobtanium tube amp) and Wells Audio's Milo (solid state amp, with a tube soul and a muscle car engine's power). :L3000:

I hear you own a Glenn EL3N. I got dibs if you decide to sell it.

I am sensing a little bit of bias here :wink:
I had no idea what it was when I heard it. The ZMF Caldera with this Glenn EL3N amp was the best thing I heard in the whole show. It was at that point that I asked Bevin if I could take the Caldera out onto the show room floor to hear it with different amps. I wanted to make sure the glorious sound I was hearing was from the headphone and not the amp. It turns out, it was both. The Caldera is truly a chameleon. It sounded great on everything, but took on the character of the amp I was pairing it with. But, by far my favorite was this Glenn EL3N. What will it take for us to get Glenn to make more of these amps? It sounded better than $9000-10000 amps.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #448 of 638
I had no idea what it was when I heard it. The ZMF Caldera with this Glenn EL3N amp was the best thing I heard in the whole show. It was at that point that I asked Bevin if I could take the Caldera out onto the show room floor to hear it with different amps. I wanted to make sure the glorious sound I was hearing was from the headphone and not the amp. It turns out, it was both. The Caldera is truly a chameleon. It sounded great on everything, but took on the character of the amp I was pairing it with. But, by far my favorite was this Glenn EL3N. What will it take for us to get Glenn to make more of these amps? It sounded better than $9000-10000 amps.

Glenn has been off Head-Fi for a long time now, he is no longer available to make amplifiers, sorry to say. To my knowledge, @Zachik 's was the last GEL3N amplifier he made.

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #449 of 638
Glenn has been off Head-Fi for a long time now, he is no longer available to make amplifiers, sorry to say. To my knowledge, @Zachik 's was the last GEL3N amplifier he made.
Our room was so busy that I don't know how many people even knew about your new amp, it was next to the Lina and hooked up to it, I tried to explain to as many people as possible what was going on. A few people have emailed with very positive remarks, I thought it sounded incredible. Based on these El3n comments I will have to compare shortly, admittedly I haven't even heard Caldera off it yet!

We went over what we need to do better next show, and we are going to have a one sheet that explains the setups at our next show, because with the crowd we weren't able to do that at all. A lot of people heard Caldera on OTL amps and we weren't able to catch it, part of the reason there's an inconsistency in response, and because of what @HiFiHawaii808 stated, it does seem to change a lot based on what they're fed.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 21, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #450 of 638
It's official! CanJam SoCal 2022 was our biggest CanJam show, to date! Thanks to everyone who came out over the weekend, and especially to those that traveled in from out of town. This was a fantastic show and we can't wait to do it again next year.

Save the Dates: CanJam SoCal 2023 will be held on September 30-October 1, 2023, at the Irvine Marriott.

SoCal22_Team.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back