CanJam SoCal 2022 Impressions Thread (September 17-18, 2022)
Sep 21, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #466 of 638
This is Me xD waiting at the airport
Hah, love it! And I remember seeing you, apologies for not introducing myself.

Photography is another hobby, you helped me capture the very end of the show, being a subject for one my shots. I was trying to capture a sense of the end of CanJam, when all of the energy and excitement from everyone has burnt out and there’s that bittersweet realization that it’s all over for another year. It’s crazy to think about all of the people and madness that was going on in this spot only an hour earlier.

Attachments

• FD496B33-4144-42A6-8D3B-8854318C2746.jpeg
    FD496B33-4144-42A6-8D3B-8854318C2746.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 21, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #467 of 638

2nd Canjam in the books! Ton of fun, thanks to everyone who helped set this up. I made it a point to try out all the flagships this go around. I'm still pretty new to this hobby and I will say I don't have the best ear, especially on a noisy show floor. I saw many people taking notes in their phone or in a journal and now I can see why. Very difficult to go off memory as I tried a ton of stuff and a wide variety of amps. Music I mostly tested is Rock, Metal, Electronic, Reggae, and some Pop.

LCD5 - I tried the LCD5's multiple times on different setups and I enjoyed it the most on the DCS stack (this is a trend). Very amp picky as I remember not enjoying it much out of one of the tube amps. It was a very intense listening session to say the least, resolution on these through the DCS stack had me dumbfounded. Not my favorite tuning unfortunately and was kinda clampy on the head (maybe had the older headband).

Susvara - Heard these also through the DCS stack and was probably top 3 for me in the entire show. Incredibly well balanced and enjoyable to listen to. I think what I liked most about these is if you want to sit there and analyze a song you can, and if you want to zone out and relax you can. The LCD5 was much more in your face and a bit fatiguing. Susvara with more low end/punch would probably be my dream headphone.

Abyss 1266 - The setup for these at the Wells Audio booth was ridiculous. Weird tuning and absolutely terrible comfort but holy hell are they incredible for metal. I tried a few different genres, but basically ended up listening to half the Metallica black album with a smile on my face. I had these cranked uppp on the volume, I think the person next to me wasn't pleased.. sorry!

New Utopia - As far as build is concerned, The Utopia's and the Meze Elite's are in a league of their own. I remember just staring at these in my hand and marveling at how gorgeous they are. Listened to the Utopia's through the Benchmark HPA4 and they were enjoyable but I didn't absolutely love it like the Susvara's. Susvara sounded more natural to me, although the Utopia's punchy low end were fun. Not sure what was updated vs the OG utopia but still a great headphone in 2022 albeit the price increase is disheartening. Wish I tried these on tubes.

HD800S - Not for me. Crazy soundstage but low end was dead and too much treble for my liking.

Audeze MM500 - Amazing headphone with neutral tuning. I listened to these for a good while on an M Scaler and walked away very impressed. Super comfortable (not clampy) and incredible build quality. I thought it did everything pretty well. If these slammed just a bit harder I'd be in love but I understand that's not what their purpose is haha. If Audeze can bring their house sound to this new design.. sign me up!

Meze Elites - Most comfortable headphone and 10/10 build. Heard these last year at Canjam and was impressed, but I'm less impressed this year after hearing the rest of the flagships. Ima sucker for warm headphones and while the Elites have a fun tuning, it's definitely a tier below the LCD5/Sus/Utopia. Meze's cables were the best from the flagships however. The Susvara's were laughably bad..!

ZMF - Caldera out of the Nautilus was a lot of fun. Warm planar goodness. Wish it had a bit more oomph in the low end, but mids and treble were well balanced and was an enjoyable listen for Rock/Reggae. I briefly tried the Atrium and Verite Open from some Cayin tube amps at the end of the show. I think I enjoyed the Atrium's a bit more, and were probably my favorite dynamic driver headphone at the show. They had a number of different headphones setup on some shelves for purchase.. Simply stunning craftsmanship, I need to own a ZMF headphone in the future

I also tried the Expanse briefly but I really cannot remember what they sounded like. I think I cut it short because there was too much surrounding noise.

IEMs - **I am a total IEM noob** I tried the helios, meteor, blessing2, monarch mk2, trio, legend evo, u12t. U12t was hands down my favorite and can see why it's always recommended. It just does everything well. Comfort was the main issue for me when trying the mk2 and symphonium IEMs (too bulky). Evo's were amazing for electronic music!

My main complaint was the constant wifi issues at some of the booths using Qobuz and the like. I wasn't able to always use my own source and having to pick from a smaller offline music collection was a bit frustrating. Other than that, it was an awesome Canjam and I kinda wish I went the 2nd day. Thankfully my wallet stayed in my pocket the entire time. Can't wait to see what's in store next year!

I feel like 64Audio U12t is gaining same status as Sennheiser HD650

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #468 of 638
it sounded great on the @L0rdGwyn's prototype amp ! I tried to recommend @HiFiHawaii808 that amp but he was so determined to find an amp he could purchase on the spot(or so I felt) I kinda told him probably shouldn't ?!? lol sorry it was a very exciting moment !!!

To clarify: I never got a chance testing the Caldera out of your SET amp. People made sure it never rested for a second :wink:
(which I am sure is a great form of endorsement)
Having said that, I do love my Glenn 6EL3N amp, so there is that :laughing:

Yeah! I guess a lot of people listened to it, but maybe they didn't know what it was? It looked like this. Holla at me if you listened to it and have any thoughts. I am only accepting positive feedback at this time however... :)

PXL_20220913_003808632.NIGHT-2 (1).jpg

I regret selling my Glenn otl amp

Lol you know you sold that amp to me, right?! Then I modded it a bunch and sold it to @Karnicopia when I started designing my own amplifiers. The Glenn OTL is immortal, it still lives.

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #469 of 638
Yeah! I guess a lot of people listened to it, but maybe they didn't know what it was? It looked like this. Holla at me if you listened to it and have any thoughts. I am only accepting positive feedback at this time however... :)

PXL_20220913_003808632.NIGHT-2 (1).jpg

Lol you know you sold that amp to me, right?! Then I modded it a bunch and sold it to @Karnicopia when I started designing my own amplifiers. The Glenn OTL is immortal, it still lives.

I forgot who I sold it to for a reason !! Lol it's good to know it's still got a good home but what have you done to herrrr xD

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #470 of 638
To clarify: I never got a chance testing the Caldera out of your SET amp. People made sure it never rested for a second :wink:
(which I am sure is a great form of endorsement)
Having said that, I do love my Glenn 6EL3N amp, so there is that :laughing:
You mean the soon to be HiFiHawaii808 Glenn 6EL3N amp.

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #471 of 638
You mean the soon to be HiFiHawaii808 Glenn 6EL3N amp.
Maybe when el3n retires :xf_wink: it'll be on its way to good ole Hawaii

Hah, love it! And I remember seeing you, apologies for not introducing myself.

Photography is another hobby, you helped me capture the very end of the show, being a subject for one my shots. I was trying to capture a sense of the end of CanJam, when all of the energy and excitement from everyone has burnt out and there’s that bittersweet realization that it’s all over for another year. It’s crazy to think about all of the people and madness that was going on in this spot only an hour earlier.
It was an insane crowd for a Canjam being only my third time, but I remember NYC 2018 being pretty crowded, I didn't want to intrude for the most part, I tried to be courteous to others. Great shot btw !

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #472 of 638

Thank you so much for featuring me in your video! :k701smile: I appear for about 6 seconds from 6:41 to 6:47.

I was at the Jerry Harvey booth and one of the attendants was fitting me with an IEM. I'm wearing a green collared shirt and have short, auburn hair.

I don't think this particular one was the Sharona model, though; that was the third or fourth model I auditioned.

Cool beans and great video! :thumbsup:

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #474 of 638
CanJam SoCal Impressions

Sitting here back at home over coffee & relaxing with my cats on Sunday morning trying to gather my thoughts over what was a thrilling, exhausting, emotional, breakneck, and ultimately eminently satisfying weekend. My heart, mind and spirit are full right now-- and not merely from the fact that for two days I was essentially a kid in the candy store I've been dreaming of for the last two years. On the surface I came to SoCal to demo gear, and indeed that was a pre-eminent highlight of the weekend. But in retrospect I can tell even now that the true magic of this past weekend, besides it being my CanJam deflowering, was the fellowship and community I share with so many fellow enthusiasts this last few days-- something no doubt magnified tremendously by the crushing weight of isolation so many felt over the course of the last few years. It was so nice to attach faces to so many names, to see people light up in person when hearing something for the first time, or to directly share the joy with someone when you're both talking about something you both love.

Regarding the events of this weekend I am reminded of the following quote:

"To a traveler standing near a mountain range many eminences seem to have approximately the same altitude; it is difficult to disengage Everest from its lofty neighbors. But as the range recedes in the distance, the highest peak lifts more and more above its fellows, until it alone fills the horizon."

I imagine something similar will hold true with respect to the community bonding of the last few days.

Following will be my best attempt at an impressions post of the last few days. Before I get going a couple general caveats and points to note regarding my impressions.

1) Most of what I will be talking about are IEMs & sources that I heard for the first time this weekend. As such I will not pretend to be able to be truly comprehensive with anything as my demos in all cases were by necessity brief and done along side the breakneck pace and underlying excitement, noise and enthusiasm of the event. The most I can say now is simply whether or not I liked something and what I noticed off the cuff. Everything I say here is subject to revision pending more time & thought with the gear in question.

2) I try to avoid saying things like "a is better than b" in a general way as quite often a and b don't really compare in an apples-apples way. Is the Aroma Jewel "better" than the Fir Kr5? Well...it depends. They both do totally different things and either could be "better" or totally undesirable depending on what you're looking for and what you prioritize.

3) I have a fetish for single driver setups as I feel the coherence you get is worth its weight in audio gold. Because I put a lot of stock in this something like my Campfire Supermoon excels for me in ways that no hybrid setup, no matter how complex or nuanced, can compete with. This might not hold for you and, well, YMMV there.

4) All listening here, unless otherwise noted, was done through my AK SR25ii.

Started the event of right with one of our custom Watercooler name tags courtesy of @HiFiHawaii808

DB647DA2-0FC7-45E6-982E-6144556026B3.JPEG

IMG_0510.JPG

Favorite IEMs heard:

The Campfire Trifecta was the show stopper for me. Impressions of this IEM so far have been very mixed—with I would say the majority being less than favorable somehow. I had thought to myself that CFA had at best a bit of a misfire on their hands. That being said I wasn’t even expecting the Trifecta to be at the show given that it’s a limited edition, sold out everywhere, and most importantly that Campfire wasn’t even going to be present. It was then with a combination of surprise, delight and trepidation that came over me when, immediately entering the show floor on Saturday morning, the first thing that grabbed my attention at the Bloom table was the Trifecta in a disembodied hand reaching from the clouds and beckoning me to listen. I wasn’t expecting much and I am ashamed to say that it was mostly morbid curiosity that compelled me to sit down and listen. Trifecta impressed me immediately with it’s massive ballsy sound, impeccable coherence, solid resolution and beautiful dynamic & analogue timbre. This is a sound that completely embraces you with warmth and depth and takes you for a ride. Unlike CFA’s previous DD only units that suffered from some combination of veiled mids, metallic treble, overdone bass or crap extension—the Trifecta, in my brief time with it, gets everything right. Bear in mind that I’m a bass & lower mids fiend, as that is what a lot of my library is, and I don’t listen to a lot of female vocals. I went back to the table 4 times over the two days and gave the Trifecta a good once over and continued to find it utterly compelling with the only false note being treble that is a touch aggressive (but nicely extended and never metallic) at times…but never to the point that I hit skip. CFA’s house sound has always existed along two prongs. You have the highly technical with a dash of fun sound of the Andromeda and utterly perfected in the Supermoon, and then you have the more hair on the beast & what I characterize as a “balls deep in dynamic swagger” type sound that Ken Ball has been obviously been passionate about for years but never quite perfected until now. The three DDs in the Trifecta, positioned as they are, act as so many matches whose intensity increases exponentially when they are brought together give the illusion that one is listening to a full size single DD headphone. Single DD and single driver enthusiasts should give the Trifecta a serious look. Approach it with an open mind, you may be very pleasantly surprised.

307665196_1829842750695489_6370865747880627603_n.jpg

Hot on the heels of the CFA Trifecta was the Noble Viking Ragnar. Ragnar may be the closest thing to a bonafide Traillii competitor I’ve yet heard. I was able to hear the Ragnar over a few demos starting with an early peek on Friday night. The sound is pleasantly energetic and immediately engaging with the highlight, I would say, being the midrange. I never had any issues with the upper mids or highs but for those who like a more relaxed presentation this may not be the best option. It’s not exactly a basshead either— I would say it’s between Jewel and Traillii in quantity and arguably superior in quality to either. Recommended for people who enjoy the Jewel but would like something a little more energetic and engaging. I could even see this being a great compliment to the Bird for many. Also build quality is utterly top tier—that Damascus shell is really something. Puts the Jewel to shame in this dept. The cable is excellent too.

8165187D-C8FC-49E4-8F3E-BA0026ED8B6C.JPEG

Astell & Kern Odyssey. I was eager to hear this IEM because of some private chats I’ve had with some EE enthusiasts I consider reliable. The hope is that it would be something along the lines of an IEM with bass quantity more than Odin but less than EVO and less upper mids than both IEMs. There is nothing at all fatiguing about this IEM so if you’re on the fence because of EE’s prior upper mid tuning (I finally got to hear Evo this weekend and the upper mids there murdered my ears) but really love their sound otherwise this may well be the IEM you’re dreaming of. I will say one thing here about this IEM and EE’s sound in general that I have noticed from my experience with LX, Odin and Bravado II. Empire Ears house sound consists in what I refer to as an “observer oriented” presentation. When listening to their IEMs you’re in the perspective of an audience member watching the presentation about a row or two back. Sony is another company I would say has this sort of presentation and I could see it appealing especially to old school 2 channel enthusiasts. It stands in contrast to what I would describe as an “in your face” presentation where, instead of from the perspective of an audience member, you’re totally immersed in the sound—it’s all around you. Campfire Audio is a company who specializes in this type of sound and my overall preference for it is one of the things that has endeared me to this brand over the year. Fir Audio is another one. I would say the Noble Viking Ragnor is slightly in this category and this, along with its midrange emphasis contrasted with the more bass centred sound of the Odyssey (which is by no means a basshead IEM but whose bass grabs your attention more than the Ragnar, whose midrange & highs are more central) comprise the biggest differences between these two IEMs. Both are top tier—choose your poison.

IMG_0517.JPG

The Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor was my first exposure to UM’s Mason line and I was impressed off the bat—full spectrum goodness with great BA/BC bass and mids so seductive I wonder how this IEM comes from the same company responsible for the synthetic mids that characterize the whole Mest lineup to my ears. Imagine a Phonix minus a bit of the midrange magic (VE are still among the GOATS here) but better everything else and you have the Mentor. If I wasn’t so inherently averse to BAs (despite how good this is) I would be seriously considering it. Of the other UM IEMs I listened to the Mentor is most like the Mason FS...which I consider to be a slight downgrade.

63E5D1A1-1E63-45CC-AB70-C2E955B85A0B.JPEG

I was enjoying breakfast with some fellow Watercooler-ers on Saturday morning and I had a chance to hear @morserotonin's Aroma Thunder. I didn’t know what to expect at first. Jewel (build quality aside) is a summit fi IEM for sure but it’s too reference sounding for me—YMMV there—and on account of that I’d kind of kept the Aroma Thunder hype at bay. When I put them in my ears I was totally blown away. They’re not the most sophisticated sound perhaps but they’re super engaging with fantastic bass, present clear mids, well extended treble and don’t do anything really wrong that I could detect. Perhaps not the best in any single category but I’m at a loss to find many IEMs that are as much of a fun yet sufficiently technical sounding total package that the Thunder is.

C113AD38-E6B2-4D34-842B-DFFF1B012A0C.JPEG

Favorite sources: For me this is a tie between the Hiby RS8 and the Sony WM1ZM2.
The RS8 has a beautifully seductive and analogue tonality...it is a perfect match with my Supermoon. Software seems a little laggy and buggy to me at times—the player froze a few times on me when trying to navigate and sweet jumping jebus is the player a brick. It’s the heaviest DAP on the market and for be very hard to pocket given it’s tendency to pull one’s pants down. I don’t have a lot of experience here but the RS8 is just what I’d imagined a TOTL R2R to sound like—a flowing river of analogue & technical sound. On the other hand Sony sexy is a thing. My demo with the WM1ZM2 was not ideal because it wouldn’t let me load my own SD card into it—as such my demo was very superficial and I didn’t get to listen to any songs I know. But damn that player is a work of aesthetic perfection and is probably edging the RS8 for me for just that reason.

IMG_0523.JPG

Disappointments: The Elysian Diva didn't impress me-- which is too bad because that was the one IEM I’d squirreled away funds for and thought I might buy. It gives you a taste of the top tier treble Elysian is known for, and the mids are decent enough but…the bass does not do it for me. The thing with Elysian so far for me, which is kind of the inverse of a problem with many IEMs that focus too much on bass to the expense of mids or treble, is that while the treble is summit fi the bass often is far from it. On the Diva the bass was too boomy for me on the max setting and on the middle setting the Diva like a low-res Supermoon (which I was a/b’ing with it) with limp bass and marginally more seductive mids. On its own terms the Diva may even be a great IEM but for me having the Supermoon more-or less renders it redundant.

The Astell & Kern SP3K seemed mediocre coming from RS8 and didn't do the Odyssey any favors to my ears. I didn’t even like the Odyssey until I plugged it into my SR25ii.

I tried the UM Indigo on two occasions. It didn’t really connect with me for the same reason neither prior Mest I’ve heard has fully connected with me—it’s a technical powerhouse with zero emotion in the mids. Once the fireworks wear off there’s nothing of substance for me to sink my heart and teeth into.

I tried the Dunu planar hybrid (in planar only mode) and it was…well...meh. Coming from Supermoon’s stage &, especially, the fantastic bass it just didn’t cut it. Even at the $200 price point I’d probably still take the Timeless. YMMV.

Other random points:

1) The Aroma Ace is a great all BA IEM, as is the Oriolus Mellianus-- both are overpriced though.

2) Traillii may very well still be the GOAT-- it knocked my socks off today, and through my SR25ii no less. I put it in and literally lost track of time for like 30 minutes in lala land.. given the events and surroundings that is noteworthy. Still not sure about the bass in the long term though.

IMG_0524.JPG

3) The Elysian Annihilator is mostly a great IEM— hearing its treble performance through the Hiby RS8 was a thing to behold. But the bass is too weak and loose for it to be a top tier IEM for me. The tragic thing is this may not even be a tuning problem but a cheap driver problem—if the Annihilator had a bass driver of the same quality as CFA, EE or Sony’s…and less power demanding e-stats…well this could make me want to spend $4K on it. As it stands now it falls short of the mark for me.

4) I loved the Fourte and it's my presently my favourite 64 IEM. Still it’s showing its age on today’s market. I’ve heard rumours of a Fourte MKii possibly on the horizon and I will be watching for tha VERY closely. u18t is just as sterile as I remember and Trio is still too thin and bright for me.

IMG_0516.JPG

5) Thanks to @theveterans I heard an OG Andromeda for the first time ever in the form of a Pacific Blue edition and I absolutely loved it. I think I may even prefer it to the 2020...would need to a/b. Hiss free through my SR25ii.

9A893EA5-0039-4637-B646-91685A32CB1C.JPEG

6) I really enjoyed my time chatting with Eric from Eletech—he’s one of the most passionate and kind people I’ve met in this hobby. I tried the Ode to Laura and it wasn’t the best match with my Supermoon-- it totally nerfed the bass but it did a lot of clarity to the mids & highs. Ironically this may have made me a full on cable believer. Talking to Eric about this and we figure the gold plated copper of my Victoria may offer the perfect synergy with Supermoon. We talked about the Jewel and he said it’s the IEM he uses to tune but that he wouldn’t listen to it for enjoyment. That’s basically how I see it.

7) The Stax 009 & Blue Hawaii is the greatest headphone/IEM product I've ever heard. And it's not close. Well actually Susvara is a close second. I couldn’t bring myself to listen to anything else for like an hour after I heard it.

12256C43-C661-4146-9679-D56A3F49AFCE.JPEG

8) Biggest out of nowhere was the EE/Elysian collab Gaea. I picked it up when I had 5 minutes to kill in an idle moment and it totally surprised me. I liked it more than Diva—it’s got much better bass at the very least. It was an enaging & dynamic set but consider this only the hottest of hot takes because of how short it was. I’m fortunate to be part of a tour and should get ears on this again soon. Stay tuned.

9) Perhaps the biggest surprise was this small Singaporean company called FatFreq. I actually met them all in the elevator when I first arrived and was heading out to my room and finally got around to checking out their table on Sunday morning. I tried their Maestro (?) sub-flagship and entry level models. These IEMs have some of most singularly unique and engaging bass I’ve ever heard in an IEM. Impressive still is all the mid-range and top end clarity. I would have bought the $500 mini-Maestro for $500 except there was no vent on the front and the BA was sitting right there. I’d be to paranoid a fleck of dust would get in and wreck it. Still I will be following these guys (and girl) and will be purchasing one of their IEMs eventually. Watch for them.

7BFC7382-E3F2-49F3-80BB-CB27758BDD41.JPEG

8EC370C4-455F-4D26-89AD-BF02F08C91C3.JPEG

@HiFiHawaii808 @discord and all the other Cooler members I was privileged to meet are great people. Was a beautiful and exhausting couple days I will never forget.

AC76E02D-6E15-4421-9C8E-653078DA6235.JPEG

Also Musicteck/Andrew is the Goat of Goats. It was fun meeting my dealer in person for the first time.

D69A7C85-D69C-4E33-8212-2285A8053E62 2.jpeg

As a plus I got to enjoy some Michelin Star (vegan) Ramen (along with some vegan water LMAO).

F5CB5C2D-315F-478A-9918-2567AB38E970.JPEG

As a final gesture this little guy bid me farewell:

68050B8F-DB07-4F1E-8E4C-BE159495AA87.JPEG

It was a slice everyone...thanks for the memories.
Great images, Great impressions bro. Out of all the products that you have tested and reported from there, I am excited for the RS8 and the Noble Viking Ragnar.

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #476 of 638
Hey there folks,

If you're in SoCal and still itching for more, Rosson Audio Design is hosting a casual meet and listening session on October 1st! Time is 12-6 at Alex's office in Resada.

For more details, head over to this thread and RSVP! Hope to see you.

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #477 of 638
Hey there folks,

If you're in SoCal and still itching for more, Rosson Audio Design is hosting a casual meet and listening session on October 1st! Time is 12-6 at Alex's office in Resada.

For more details, head over to this thread and RSVP! Hope to see you.
Cali gets all the fun 😭

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #478 of 638
Canjam SoCal this year was absolutely amazing and I have had a truly phenomenal week.
This is my first time going to Canjam SoCal (even though I lived in San Diego for a couple years!) and I am already incredibly excited for next year.

I'm not going to be making a video about this trip as for me, this was about spending time with friends who I very rarely get the opportunity to see, some of whom I've known for years but had not had the opportunity to meet in person before at all. So you'll have to excuse the mediocre photo quality as I just took my phone with me.

Pre-Canjam:
Myself, @skedra and his girlfriend Magda took an 11 hour flight across the pond for the event, and we stayed with a bunch of friends at a house on the beach in Newport rather than getting hotel rooms, with another 5 of us in another house just up the road.

1663875738464.png

Not a bad view to wake up to in the morning! And watching the sun going down over the ocean each night was a real treat too.

1663875819567.png

We stayed in SoCal together for a week, spending a few days either side of the event doing some stuff together, including going to see Kendrick Lamar and the Big Steppers tour on Day 1, and hiking up to the Hollywood sign on Day 2.

1663876111547.jpeg

And of course, spending plenty of time on the beach, having some great food, and being a bunch of crazy audiophiles, enjoying some of the awesome gear that had been brought along.

1663876336064.jpeg

1663876364657.jpeg

1663876394008.jpeg

1663879765583.jpeg

1663876402895.jpeg

@Danmellinger received the first HM1 unit in the US on the friday, so we were also able to spend some proper time with that over the next few days.

@SpeleoFool also upheld his title as 'King of Roon', outdoing his previous camping setup:
11869549.png

1663876519463.png

And instead constructing what I think technically qualifies as the world's largest DAP. Fully portable and on wheels, with a built in roon core, display, optional battery backup and both tube and solid state outputs! (Disclaimer: May not actually fit in your pocket)

1663876602060.png

Canjam Day 1:

At last though canjam day 1 arrived. And unfortunately I personally did not get to spend all that much time trying out gear as I spent the entirety of the morning speaking with people and catching up with friends. Time flew so fast that seemingly as soon as we got in, we were heading out for lunch again.

On the way back I had just enough time to go to Headamp's private room to try out their excellent (and wonderfully quiet!) setup upstairs away from the noise of the show floor.
1663876886078.jpeg

1663876910774.jpeg

This was my first time hearing the DCA Expanse and wow, those are a big step up over the stealth in my view. Fixing the dynamics issue I had previously and turning them into a SERIOUSLY good headphone. So good that @Danmellinger bought a pair about 30 seconds after listening!
Definitely something I'm looking forward to spending more time with and hopefully reviewing in future.

Once that was done, I headed to the "Digital Audio 201" talk given by @Rob Watts which was excellent. And afterwards had the fantastic opportunity to chat with him for a good hour and a half over coffee. It was brilliant to get his insight into so many areas and I have to thank him for so much of his time. Absolutely one of the highlights of my week and I'm incredibly excited to see what comes from him in future.

After that, the first day of canjam was already coming to an end, but our group still had some fun to be had. We'd planned a private get together with just shy of 40 people coming. Renting out a venue, getting in some catering (big props to @eskamobob1 for the recommendation, the tacos were AMAZING), an awesome lineup of gear, and a far more awesome group of people.
I'm not going to share any videos/photos of the event with people in it (besides one) as it was a private event and we'd asked people not to film. We wanted people to be able to unwind and not be on camera, but gotta show some highlights of the cool stuff we had there.

1663877716007.jpeg

1663877777763.jpeg

1663878319653.jpeg

1663877791252.jpeg

1663877834619.jpeg
1663877861434.jpeg

1663877890125.jpeg

1663877931121.png

1663877808999.jpeg

Not gonna lie though I'd be lying if I said the Tacos weren't the highlight of it!

Canjam Day 2:

Day 2 of canjam arrived, and this time I was determined to actually listen to some gear. This show was BIG, far bigger than London Canjam and one day definitely would not have been enough to try everything. Two would have been a stretch still.
Especially when some of the items like the Warwick (which was in a soundproof pod! PLEASE more manufacturers do this in future, that thing was brilliant) had a VERY long queue to listen at times.

Luckily though I'd had the opportunity to listen to most of the items before either at home or previous events, but there was plenty of things that were new in general or new to me and I still struggled to get enough time with all of them.

A few highlights for me though and I'll do my best to keep impressions brief:

Warwick Aperio/Bravura:
I've done a full review of both of these, but I just have to say how brilliant this soundproof pod was. There are some things you just can't get a full grasp of on a show floor, and this really allowed the listener to get a better impression of both products. I REALLY hope we see more of these at future canjams.

Auribus Acoustics:
1663878886815.jpeg

I'd been really keen to try this for quite some time and at last I was able to. Man this thing is fun. Simply excellent for the money with great technical performance, a fun, very dynamic and tastefully done tuning achieved with a combination of traditional mechanical design and analog filters that provide a seriously compelling package for the money. I'll have a full review of these coming.

ZMF Caldera:
1663879097640.jpeg

WOW. I'm not too sure what I was expecting to hear with these, but whatever my expectations were, these exceeded them.
Take an atrium, give it a deep reaching, flat extension into the subbass, and add quite a significant amount of detail and soundstage, and you've got a caldera. Zach has seriously hit it out of the park with these.
I don't think these actually 'replace' the atrium for me, as their more energetic treble does mean they don't quite fill the same romantic and more laid back yet forceful presentation the Atrium does so well, but boy oh boy are these impressive and I'm certainly going to have to get myself a pair in future.
These were also surprisingly light. I figured given the need for large magnets they'd be heavier than the atrium but to my surprise they were considerably lighter. The concave grille looks beautiful in person in a way that really does not come across on camera too.
We were also lucky enough to try these at home in the quiet on the excellent ampsandsound nautilus which was a simply breathtaking experience.

Woo WA23:
1663879581766.jpeg

I was a big fan of the WA33, and honestly, I think this is better. This is a wamer, more 'traditionally tubey' presentation that seemed to retain absolutely all of the technical performance of the WA33. All the good stuff with some sugar on top, what more could you ask for? How about a visually stunning design that I'd want on my desk just to look at even if it made no sound at all? Oh right...it has that too!

Post-Canjam:

Once the weekend had passed though, canjam was over, though our trip was not. I can confirm that you've not truly lived until you've been on a wild night out with @Gizmo1k and @ZeosPantera (which was too spicy for pictures sorry!), that was worth the trip in and of itself! But many of our group on Monday took a road-trip down to San Diego to visit Hodads, for what is perhaps the best Burger found anywhere in the world. Though be warned, you may not be able to eat for another day or two if you finish it!
xNTz6vo.png

B7eytVa.png

How much audio gear do you need to carry before you need an armed escort?
6EpH28v.png

And probably the best part of the whole trip: Surfing dog!
dtzRG8e.jpg

Unfortunately on the final day a few of us were feeling a bit rough, so we spent the last day relaxing at the house and on the beach, unwinding after an eventful but thoroughly awesome week.
We all had such an amazing time, and I'm so happy to be able to spend time with such amazing friends, meet so many awesome people, try such amazing stuff and see such amazing places.
I cannot wait for next year already!

Until then, cheers!
PInuV5u.jpg

Attachments

• 1663876501974.png
    1663876501974.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #479 of 638
Fantastic GoldenOne! Absolutely fantastic. You guys really know how to make the most of it. Very happy you all had a blast of a time. 🍻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back