CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #842 of 955
There was a redux thread. I'll merge them.

While I'm here, just to let people know about the badges in peoples' signatures, the plan is that badges will only appear in people's profiles and not in peoples' posts, except the current relevant badge. Eg: If a Canjam is on, attendees and exhibitors will show a badge in their signature in all their posts and their profile, then sometime after Canjam has finished, we'll flip a switch and the attendance badge will only be in their profile. This to stop people ending up with huge, forum-cluttering signatures after we've had dozen meets or whatever other fun we decide to have with the badge system. The badges will clutter up your profile page instead. 
wink_face.gif

This is just so that when the attendance badges stop showing in signatures on the forum, you don't need to panic. 
smile.gif

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #843 of 955
  There was a redux thread. I'll merge them.

While I'm here, just to let people know about the badges in peoples' signatures, the plan is that badges will only appear in people's profiles and not in peoples' posts, except the current relevant badge. Eg: If a Canjam is on, attendees and exhibitors will show a badge in their signature in all their posts and their profile, then sometime after Canjam has finished, we'll flip a switch and the attendance badge will only be in their profile. This to stop people ending up with huge, forum-cluttering signatures after we've had dozen meets or whatever other fun we decide to have with the badge system. The badges will clutter up your profile page instead. 
wink_face.gif

This is just so that when the attendance badges stop showing in signatures on the forum, you don't need to panic. 
smile.gif

Thanks, I think this is a pretty good plan!

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #844 of 955

1. 2006 in New York was (as @bozebuttons said) the first of its kind, and was called the "2006 National Head-Fi Meet."
  2. 2007 in San Jose was called "Head-Fest."
  3. 2008 was originally scheduled to be in Chicago, but the plans had to be changed or canceled. A team of community members in Florida saved our butts, scrambled to put together a fun event in Fort Lauderdale, and they called it "CanJam."
  4. 2009 was in Los Angeles, and one of the team members from 2008's organizing team (jp11801) was out in California, and led the team to organize that year's event. The CanJam name continued.
  5. 2009 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest contacted me to ask about putting together a CanJam-type event to be held within Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. We didn't have much time to get it together, but jp11801 and I flew out to Denver to meet with RMAF's board. We agreed to do it, and jp11801 and I chose to call it CanJam@RMAF.
  6. 2010 was in Chicago and was called CanJam, and was the last independent CanJam until this year's CanJam SoCal.
  7. 2015 was in Costa Mesa and was called CanJam SoCal 2015.
  8. In August 2015, we'll have our first CanJam outside the U.S., when we host CanJam London 2015 August 29-30, 2015 at the Russell Hotel in Central London (more details to follow soon).
  9. CanJam@RMAF continued each year since 2009, and will be held again this year at RMAF, October 2-4, 2015, making it our seventh annual CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.

Of course, this is just a brief bullet-point history of the (inter)national events so far, and says nothing to specifically credit every individual who helped organize each of these events. For those of you haven't been on one of the organizing teams, you'll just have to take my word for it that it takes a tremendous amount of work and dedication from teams of people to make things like this happen.

wink.gif
So the CanJam name stuck in 2008.  I think it a worthy name for the national meet and showcase.  As of 6 April 2015 I'm looking over the July calendar to see whether I've the eighteenth available for the Bay Area Meet....

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #845 of 955

You bet. Shortly I'll be posting a video of comments from vendors about what it's like to become a part of this community. The comments from John Franks of Chord are particularly telling. He's stoked to have found his way into the headphone enthusiast community.

I gotta take one post for a shout-out: Thank you Tyll for your many informative reviews and interviews. I got to see you in action interviewing someone at CanJam, and I listened to you moderate the Planar headphone presentation (which I think benefited greatly from your moderation). I almost walked up to you and introduced myself, but it would have sounded something like "Hi Tyll, I'm someone you've never heard of, but thanks!" lol.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, good job bro
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #846 of 955
One vendor I failed to mention was Vinnie Rossi's LIO. I've owned at least 5 of Vinnie's components over the years, mostly for a long-gone speaker system and have always been a fan.His new LIO modular, ultracapacitor stacked audio system was very impressive with the HE-560 it was paired with. There was the usual solid palpable body to the images, but what I noticed the most was the impressive bass, and soundstaging that far exceeded that of the Isabellina HPA, which I owned a couple of years ago. I couldn't evaluate the black background benefits the ultracapacitors bring to the table over batteries due to noisy show conditions. Unfortunately I couldn't audition my LCD-3Cs on this because I didn't have the balanced adaptor for my cable. This is also a system I would like to explore further since it has the ability to push ~45W (if I remember correctly) into speakers and it will be one to consider for a dual Headphone/Speaker system. It was also great to meet the man himself and his lovely wife.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #847 of 955

I gotta take one post for a shout-out: Thank you Tyll for your many informative reviews and interviews. I got to see you in action interviewing someone at CanJam, and I listened to you moderate the Planar headphone presentation (which I think benefited greatly from your moderation). I almost walked up to you and introduced myself, but it would have sounded something like "Hi Tyll, I'm someone you've never heard of, but thanks!" lol.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, good job bro
beerchug.gif

I think one of the cool things about this hobby, and Head-Fi specifically, is that even though there are well known members that we all respect and look forward to their posts or reviews (Tyll, Jude, Mike Mercer just to name a few) most are not above having a conversation with anyone on here, even people who are brand new to the hobby or are first time posters on Head-Fi. I bet Tyll is very approachable and would probably have been very easy to have a conversation with even if you don't know him, it's tough to do sometimes but it's a great way to form new connections.

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #848 of 955
Finally, as promised, some pics from CanJam:

Dennis Had's Dragon Inspire IHA-1 at the Moon Audio table.

N3rdling setting up his three-pronged setup featuring the venerable SR-009, SR-007, and the legendary Sony MDR-R10. Thanks for the effort in lugging 3 systems to the show for our pleasure, N3rdling.

Uhmm....

Can you say sexy?

Aristaeus to power the SR-009s. Stax amp to the right for the SR-007s.

Source

Susy Dynahi powering the R10s.

The source for Frank Cooter's sublime SR-009 system. Heed Obelisk CD transport to a Metrum Hex DAC..........

Power Supply, I think....

To this beauty.

The Schiitheads minus Mike. Thanks for bringing everything plus the kitchen sink. Great range of products.

Ragnarok gets to play with his much awaited sibling, Yggdrasil.

JoelT putting the Ragyggy through its paces.

My favorite table at CanJam - Wells Audio.

Lampizator L4 v.5

JPS Labs paired their Abyss headphones with Woo Audio equipment and this Sony Media streamer.

Woo Audio goodness.

It's all in the tubes.

Purrin's EC 2A3

CD-Transport

Generation Y and the Millenial.

Noble Audio's new speakers - I'm all ears.

Beautiful cabinetry. They sure do everything in style.

Headamp Blue Hawaii SE with Stax SR-009.

RIVA bluetooth speakers. These were quite the hit. Designed by Donald North of DNA fame.

A stable of RIVAs. I must mention one of the friendliest most helpful staff members was in the RIVA room. I forget her name, but great job and thanks.

Some speaker love - Wilson Audio Sabrinas with Audio Alchemy componentry. Room hosted by the Audio Salon (hope I remembered correctly), and this was the first public showing of the Sabrinas according to them.

Fellow member, Zashoomin's Krell F4 build.

More DIY work from Zashoomin

CrocCap's vintage setup.

Well selected libation was on hand...I mean on display..cough.

More pics can be found here:

http://s796.photobucket.com/user/adamaley/library/CanJam

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #849 of 955

smile.gif

mad.gif

biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #850 of 955
For anyone that is interested, I added several photos to the UE Tour portion of my impression and images post, here:

Can't wait til the next CanJam!  
gs1000.gif

etysmile.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #851 of 955
Thanks @adamaley and @moedawg140 and any others that shared photos from the event. 

This thread provides a great opportunity for we head-fi'ers that couldnt make it to the event to get alot of great information.
Having y'all share your photos above and beyond your thoughts really makes a difference. 

Peace & "Let the Music Play" -shannon

3ToF

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #852 of 955
Thanks @adamaley and @moedawg140 and any others that shared photos from the event. 

This thread provides a great opportunity for we head-fi'ers that couldnt make it to the event to get alot of great information.
Having y'all share your photos above and beyond your thoughts really makes a difference. 

Peace & "Let the Music Play" -shannon

3ToF

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #853 of 955

biggrin.gif

Anyway, good job bro
beerchug.gif

I'm totally fine with folks walking up and saying hi.  Happens all the time, wouldn't want it any other way. And thanks for the kind words, reporting on the show is a piece of cake relative to organizing it, so big shout-out from me to Jude, Warren, Ethan, and the CanJam organizing crew.  Thank you!!!!

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #854 of 955

I'm totally fine with folks walking up and saying hi.  Happens all the time, wouldn't want it any other way. And thanks for the kind words, reporting on the show is a piece of cake relative to organizing it, so big shout-out from me to Jude, Warren, Ethan, and the CanJam organizing crew.  Thank you!!!!

would it be a fashion faux-pas for a slew of head-fi ers to show up at CanJam RMAF 2015 in Denver wearing Hawaiian print shirts?

biggrin.gif

hm, orange, or blue or green....

wouldn't want to wait another 50+ years to do this and have everyone don the shirts as a post mortem gesture of respect and gratitude....
cool.gif

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back