CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #811 of 955
@warrenpechi put me on the list for that super CIEM :D I'd love to own that thing. Too bad it's a no go.

BTW, if I haven't said it already thanks for all the hard work to you and the crew with CanJam. Looking forward to next year.

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #812 of 955

You know what's really awesome about their Live Demo system?  It's NOT being done electronically with EQ... that special IEM actually has ALL of the drivers necessary to mimic every CIEM they make (UEPRM excepted).  The iPad engages and disengages drivers as needed in order to simulate each model.  I've already asked UE if I could get that super CIEM, offering my left nut or firstborn as suitable payment, but its not going to happen.  Oh well, I can but dream.  
biggrin.gif

It's always the left. Everyone cherishes their right. Maybe that's why they said no.

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #813 of 955
I've listened to dozens of SACD's and CD's with the HE-560's. I think all were mastered for speakers as is most except for current Pop which is likely mastered for ear buds
Most sound fantastic except for a few that need EQ to tame treble and upper mods. Boulez's Mahler 9 is an example violins and brass is very hot on that CD
quote name="Pazz" url="/t/758649/canjam-socal-2015-impressions-thread/795#post_11479314"]Oh is it? I'm actually quite curious because you bring up symphony listening. I'm guessing the recordings you are thinking about are designed for speaker listening though? I never tried those types of recordings on the HE-1000.
[/quote]

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #814 of 955

You know what's really awesome about their Live Demo system?  It's NOT being done electronically with EQ... that special IEM actually has ALL of the drivers necessary to mimic every CIEM they make (UEPRM excepted).  The iPad engages and disengages drivers as needed in order to simulate each model.  I've already asked UE if I could get that super CIEM, offering my left nut or firstborn as suitable payment, but its not going to happen.  Oh well, I can but dream.  
biggrin.gif

Yeah... I dunno what to say... but it just doesn't get any better than that deal.  
redface.gif
  And I'm with you on the UERM, LOVE that thing!

Warren, you and CEE TEE have almost talked me into the UERM about twice or 3 times now.  I always want something else more.  I did like them better than my current 1964 ears quads.  Thing is, the quads aren't bad at all, and I already own them.  Resale on customs kinda stinks….  Still, the UERMs are pretty awesome.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #815 of 955

biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow! I did not know that. I thought everything was done equalizing with a software. That's even more impressive!

Originally Posted by DPogster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@warrenpchi put me on the list for that super CIEM 
biggrin.gif
 I'd love to own that thing. Too bad it's a no go.

RIGHT?!?!  
smile.gif
  It like the Super Skrull of customs.

BTW, if I haven't said it already thanks for all the hard work to you and the crew with CanJam. Looking forward to next year.

Thanks DPogster, we appreciate it!  
redface.gif

I've already asked UE if I could get that super CIEM, offering my left nut or firstborn as suitable payment, but its not going to happen.  Oh well, I can but dream.  
biggrin.gif

It's always the left. Everyone cherishes their right. Maybe that's why they said no.

Well it's a very, very cool thing for sure.  But c'mon, let's be honest, it's not right-nut cool.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #816 of 955

Warren, you and CEE TEE have almost talked me into the UERM about twice or 3 times now.  I always want something else more.  I did like them better than my current 1964 ears quads.  Thing is, the quads aren't bad at all, and I already own them.  Resale on customs kinda stinks….  Still, the UERMs are pretty awesome.

Lol, we have?  
biggrin.gif
  It's cool bro, gotta go with what you like.  
smile.gif
  Though, I will say this... if you do want a UERM, get yer own.  You can have mine when you pry it out of my cold dead ears buddy!

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #819 of 955

Oh, then the map was wrong. It said the lounge was on the third floor. No wonder I couldn't find it. Oh well, I was just curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hid my stack of boxes of gear in the 3rd floor member's lounge hoping someone would come by with a source or laptop or something to play music on. I didn't bring a source but brought my Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A (which is undoubtedly the best bang for buck DAC I've ever heard) because it's from 1994 and is a R2R + DSP style and only cost me $276.

Amos brought pizza though haha

BUT, there wasn't anything telling anyone to go there for extra gear or music. I felt it was the biggest waste of the show and the Head-fi Member's showcase should have been expanded more so people who brought gear could have set it up

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #820 of 955
Oh, then the map was wrong. It said the lounge was on the third floor. No wonder I couldn't find it. Oh well, I was just curious.:)

the members showcase with special member displays was on the second floor right behind the registration desk.

The members lounge where attendees could gather and have mini meets was on the third floor. That was the room with the conference table and chairs.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #821 of 955
I was going to suggest to Warren anyway, so I'll put it here: I think a big, clear guide at registration, maybe in front of the elevators would have been good (not that Warren needs MORE design work to do, as he put in an insane number of hours doing the show guide and all the other stuff). 

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #823 of 955
Generic thoughts and rambling in no particular order (and all of it my opinion):

RHA - I listened to both the R10 and the 750i. While I preferred the 750, the R10 is no slouch. I ordered the 750i on Sunday and have been using them at work since they arrived. I love the isolation they provide and they sound awesome. I let one of my co-workers try them out and she's planning to buy a pair.

HiFiMAN - The HE1000. I have the HE-6 and absolutely love them. Or at least did. I found the 1000 to be a solid improvement over the 6. I did listen to the setup with Fang's new amp as well, and leads me to believe driving them will be just as important as it is for the HE-6. The 1000 is more efficient then the 6, so folks with existing equipment should be able to just pick up the headphones. Also, I listened to the SR-009 on a number of setups at the show and I have a hard time to pick a clear winner between them and the HE-1000. At this level is preference will decide.

Cavalli - Alex has two big winners on his hands: the Carbon and the Silicon. Add that to the rest of his excellent amps. The 009 on the LL (SS or Tube) is excellent. As I mentioned above, I would be happy with either top model headphone, and either of the electrostatic amps Alex has are a great match for the 009. I gave the Crimson a listen as well - solid performer, but I'll be damned if I can remember what headphones were connected.

Mr. Speakers - Ether! It was everywhere, and for good reason: it pairs well with just about everything and sound great. They are lightweight and have a good fit. I think I liked it best with the Woo Audio portable or the Cavalli Liquid Gold the best. Ooo..almost forgot - I liked it with the WA2 as well. Either way, it's an excellent headphone. I have the Alpha Dogs and the Ether is a clear step above.

Woo Audio - I mentioned the portable with the Ether. I also tried it with the Audeze EL-8. I was impressed by this combo as well. Having passed on the LCD-2 and 3 (not really to my tastes) it was surprising to like the EL-8. Even with the tubey goodness of the Woo amps, it didn't seem dark or muddy. The WA7 is absolutely stunning in person.

Ayre - I really only gave the Codex a quick listen Saturday morning and hesitate to draw any conclusions about it. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have spent more time with it. I know a number of folks has asked about it in the thread. Hopefully we'll see some reviews soon.

Enigma Acoustics - The Dharma was a surprise to me. I failed to watch any of Jude's preview videos and Jose was the one who pointed me at their table. Definitely one of the headphones I left thinking I wanted to add to my collection. From the amp, it sounded great and then the rep said "Try it on your iPhone" - wow! It really sounded good. I also checked out their speakers in the Questyle room - very nice.

Pendulumic - My first thought was "This is wireless?!" I first heard an excellent wireless headphone at Jude's office when Sennheiser dropped the RS220. The T1 was every bit as good as the 220 and it has the ability to operate wired as well. Very cool.

Massdrop - I used to have the K701 and the K7XX is just better all around. I spent a few minutes listening and found it to be a very enjoyable headphone. I forget the gent's name at the booth, but he was a pleasure to talk to.

Echobox - Neat little player. I tried it with my Beyer DT-1350 and found it to be a good match. I have a Calyx M player, so I'm not really in the market at the moment, but I'd like to check out the production model when it is released.

Vinnie Rossi - In a previous post I talked about the LIO. I was really impressed with the unit and am looking to try one out in my main system. The HE-560 off the speaker taps was quite good, but even from the hp out it sang. The modular design and isolation from the AC mains makes the LIO very tempting.

ALO - The new dual mono portable is pretty sexy. Using the Oppo PM-3, I listened to Nickel Creek - Reasons Why and a big grin broke out on my face. It just sounded excellent.

Final Audio - I have always wanted to try these out. I was intrigued by the shape and the lack of tips. After talking with the rep, it makes more sense - they aren't traditional in-ears. I gave a few models a try, and quite liked them all. They are definitely something I will consider in the future.

Schiit - First, the posters were all awesome. I have a few of Jason and Mike's products and I was really interested in the Ryggy (thanks for that one Currawong). I didn't make it to their table until Sunday and based on what I've now read, it was the time to anyhow. The HD800s were connected and i found the room to be too loud to draw any conclusions. What I can be certain of, both Ragnarok and Yggdrassil are big imposing pieces. I thought my Mjolnir was big. I'd like to thank the team a Schiit for their contributions to the SHaG too. I won the Modi, and as Mike suggested when I picked it up, I'll be using it at work.

Riva Audio - The little speaker that could! And it goes to 11! I'd been looking for a bluetooth speaker to use outdoors for a while. A few of my friends have tried offerings from other manufacturers and I was never moved. I really liked this device, so much so I bought one and am considering a second.

Ultimate Ears - The iPad control over the IEMs was super cool. I played the different choices for a while. The differences between the models was very interesting and in the end I preferred the 5 Pro. With the free ear scan and the 25% deal, it seemed like a good time to pick up a pair as well. I'm looking forward to them arriving.

Oppo - I checked out the HA-2 with the PM-2, PM-3 and my DT-1350. I think it was best with the PM-3. I have been toying with the idea of picking up both the amp/DAC and the PM-3 since I got home.

I'm sure I'm missing a few things that really stood out. Mostly, I wanted to point out how friendly everyone was. The only folks I found disruptive were the meat heads from the fitness convention.

What I have determined is these shows are how folks end up with piles of gear. I picked up four or five items and have my eye on at least six more. Maybe more. Oh well.
Thanks again to Team CanJam for an awesome show. What was at first a "once every few years" trip is looking to be an every year event.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #824 of 955
First of all, thank you to the organizers. It was my first CanJam and I felt like a kid in Disneyland

My two favorite products were the HE-1000 and the 1964ears A12. As to the HE-1000 I like how they look, somewhat retro, and I was very impressed by their sound. Listening to cello (Prelude of Bach's 1st Cello Solo by Gavriel Lipkind) and double bass (Hein van de Geyn's Embraceable You and Adam Ben Ezra's Can't Stop Running), the bass was strong and precise. Vocals and trumpet (same Geyn's and Chris Botti's Summertime) are clear, detailed and a joy to listen to. 

I have been looking forward to listening to 1964's IEMs. I have been hearing great things about them and I was curious to try the Adele technology. I tried the A6, A10 and A12s. I liked the A12 the most, followed by the A6.The bass of the A12's was amazing, but so was everything else. They almost made me cry the first time I listened to them. I think they will be on my future.

I also liked the Ether's, but it was just too noisy to fully evaluate them. 

As a reference, my current set up consists of HE-560, Lyr2 and DX-90 (which I used in my listening tests).

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #825 of 955
Thanks for your impressions on all the great headphones, amps, and dacs, at CanJam. I am definitely interested in the Cavalli Carbon and the oppo pm-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back