CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #826 of 955

You know what's really awesome about their Live Demo system?  It's NOT being done electronically with EQ... that special IEM actually has ALL of the drivers necessary to mimic every CIEM they make (UEPRM excepted).  The iPad engages and disengages drivers as needed in order to simulate each model.  I've already asked UE if I could get that super CIEM, offering my left nut or firstborn as suitable payment, but its not going to happen.  Oh well, I can but dream.  
biggrin.gif

I wish someone at the UE booth had explained that to me when I used the system. I would have been a lot more likely to trust what I heard. I just assumed the the phones attached to the iPad were TOTL and they used equalization to approximate the sound sigs.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #827 of 955

You know what's really awesome about their Live Demo system?  It's NOT being done electronically with EQ... that special IEM actually has ALL of the drivers necessary to mimic every CIEM they make (UEPRM excepted).  The iPad engages and disengages drivers as needed in order to simulate each model.  I've already asked UE if I could get that super CIEM, offering my left nut or firstborn as suitable payment, but its not going to happen.  Oh well, I can but dream.  
biggrin.gif

I wish someone at the UE booth had explained that to me when I used the system. I would have been a lot more likely to trust what I heard. I just assumed the the phones attached to the iPad were TOTL and they used equalization to approximate the sound sigs.

Well...

smile.gif

Honestly though, I would imagine that they were probably pretty busy at the show.  Certainly looked that way every time I walked by.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #828 of 955
  HiFiMAN - The HE1000. I have the HE-6 and absolutely love them. Or at least did. I found the 1000 to be a solid improvement over the 6. I did listen to the setup with Fang's new amp as well, and leads me to believe driving them will be just as important as it is for the HE-6. The 1000 is more efficient then the 6, so folks with existing equipment should be able to just pick up the headphones. Also, I listened to the SR-009 on a number of setups at the show and I have a hard time to pick a clear winner between them and the HE-1000. At this level is preference will decide.

I listened to all of the HE-1000's. The little desktop amp/DAC combo really didn't do much for them, but listening to them in balanced mode off of the EF-1000 sounded much better. I think they just have to be driven really well like the HE-6. I think this is why several people had problems with the HE-1000. I think lots of people had poor or mediocre impressions of the headphones due to the upstream conditions. It'd be nice to audition these off a good DAC and a powerful amp. That said, I'm not sure it's in any way a $1500 upgrade over the HE-6. Better get them before they are phased out.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #830 of 955
Thanks to everyone for providing the helpful CanJam reports. Living in South Florida, we seem to get left out of the good ones and it is a long way to travel to get anywhere.:dt880smile:

Yes I know what you mean. I live in Florida, was planning on organizing a head-fi mini meet, but my mothers health took a nose dive, and have not had the time. The good thing she is getting much better and hopefully next month, I will check out local libraries, for a good meeting place. I am surprised Orlando and its amazing convention center has not had a headphone/ head-fi meet.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #831 of 955
Hmm, I wasn't around then, but I believe there was a CanJam in FL once?  
redface.gif

Also, is there anyone else still working on impressions or photo essays or whatever?  Just give us a holla here and we'll extend the contest deadline if you need a little more time.  
smile.gif

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #832 of 955
Thanks to everyone for providing the helpful CanJam reports. Living in South Florida, we seem to get left out of the good ones and it is a long way to travel to get anywhere.:dt880smile:
I feel you, living in Virginia my nearest audio shop is 4 hours away, and they don't even carry headphones! Forget meets, not a chance out here so I rely on people's reports as much as you do but it would really be nice to be able to hear all the gear I'm interested in in one place

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #833 of 955
I feel you, living in Virginia my nearest audio shop is 4 hours away, and they don't even carry headphones! Forget meets, not a chance out here so I rely on people's reports as much as you do but it would really be nice to be able to hear all the gear I'm interested in in one place

You need to head down to the Nashville Meet on the 18th!

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #834 of 955
  Hmm, I wasn't around then, but I believe there was a CanJam in FL once?  
redface.gif

2008 was the CanJam in fla.
The Florida team  came up with the name CanJam.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #835 of 955
Apr 6, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #836 of 955
thanks for the information, and the Fla team came up with the name CanJam, wow fascinating. I am a noobie and do not know the history, so thanks for partially enlightening me.

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #837 of 955

Before that, it was just "That Annual(-ish) Thing With Lots of Headphones and Some Earphones and Major Stacks of Amps"?

TATWLoHASEaMSOA doesn't have the same ring, it's true.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #838 of 955
Apr 6, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #839 of 955

Before that, it was just "That Annual(-ish) Thing With Lots of Headphones and Some Earphones and Major Stacks of Amps"?

TATWLoHASEaMSOA doesn't have the same ring, it's true.

The first Meet of this kind was the International meet in NY in  Queens 2006,followed in 2007 by the SanJose international meet.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #840 of 955
  1. 2006 in New York was (as @bozebuttons said) the first of its kind, and was called the "2006 National Head-Fi Meet."
  2. 2007 in San Jose was called "Head-Fest."
  3. 2008 was originally scheduled to be in Chicago, but the plans had to be changed or canceled. A team of community members in Florida saved our butts, scrambled to put together a fun event in Fort Lauderdale, and they called it "CanJam."
  4. 2009 was in Los Angeles, and one of the team members from 2008's organizing team (jp11801) was out in California, and led the team to organize that year's event. The CanJam name continued.
  5. 2009 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest contacted me to ask about putting together a CanJam-type event to be held within Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. We didn't have much time to get it together, but jp11801 and I flew out to Denver to meet with RMAF's board. We agreed to do it, and jp11801 and I chose to call it CanJam@RMAF.
  6. 2010 was in Chicago and was called CanJam, and was the last independent CanJam until this year's CanJam SoCal.
  7. 2015 was in Costa Mesa and was called CanJam SoCal 2015.
  8. In August 2015, we'll have our first CanJam outside the U.S., when we host CanJam London 2015 August 29-30, 2015 at the Russell Hotel in Central London (more details to follow soon).
  9. CanJam@RMAF continued each year since 2009, and will be held again this year at RMAF, October 2-4, 2015, making it our seventh annual CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.

Of course, this is just a brief bullet-point history of the (inter)national events so far, and says nothing to specifically credit every individual who helped organize each of these events. For those of you haven't been on one of the organizing teams, you'll just have to take my word for it that it takes a tremendous amount of work and dedication from teams of people to make things like this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back