CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #796 of 955
Out of Your Head software ... when you do NOT want to use PC/Mac ??

after testing the OOYH demo, I know that... I want to use Darin Fong's  software.

but... I want to move away from PC/MAC based music server to dedicated Audio music server (like aurender, Aries, Antipodes DX, ...) !

so.... is there a solution ?   Has Darin Fong signed OEM agreement with such company to have them incorporating his technology in their Audio server/streamers ?

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #797 of 955
that would be absolutely perfect if they'd repeat it for the London Canjam.
There's a brick and mortar audio shop here in Brussels that used to be an Astell and Kern dealer. Wanted to audition the AK240/SS and also the uni Layla & Angie. But the ownership changed hands and they no longer deal A&K:frowning2:

If I can either buy stuff directly at Canjam (ciem + dap) or place an order beforehand and come pick up there would honestly be ideal to me. It'd be cheaper for me to travel to London than brace the administrative custom fees and VAT they ask here
cool.gif

I did not have the chance to listen to the AK240SS at CanJam but Jimmy form A&K told me that it sounds even better then the original (which is hard to believe since it sounds so good) because they are using the body as ground so its floor noise is even lower.
I did listened to the universal Angie with my AK240 and they sounded great but they did not offer a show special for the IEMs just for the players. In a previous meet I listened to the universal Layla also with my AK240 and they sounded fantastic but they are huge.
JH Audio was offering a little discount on the IEMs custom versions but not a significant one I think it was around 10% or so but I don't remember exactly.

What was very cool was the UE simulator. UE had a universal IEM perfectly flat in sound then that was connected to an iPad showing all the different model of their IEMs. I connected my AK240 to the iPad as the source and then you can play selecting the different IEM models. The iPad will change the sound depending on the signature sound of the IEM selected. The idea is for the user to experience all the different sound signatures of the models to pick the one you like the most. I was in between the UE18 and the UE7. I was inclining to the UE7 but a friend of mine told me that he picked the UE5 and it was worth listening to them (I did not go below the UE7 model in my testing). I went back the next day and he was right. To my ears the UE5 has a more balanced sound that I liked more and end up ordering them. The deal was free ear scan and 25% off. Can't beat that. In addition I ordered the balanced cable for the AK240 
biggrin.gif
. I already received the cable and I should be receiving my UE5 in the next week or so.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #798 of 955
@musicmann59 congrats. I too was impressed with UE's demo table. I actually fell in love with their UERM and was really tempted to purchase but talked myself out of it as wasn't really looking for an in ear. Kind of regretting it now what with the free ear scan and 25% off :mad: should have just rolled with it.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #799 of 955
@musicmann59 congrats. I too was impressed with UE's demo table. I actually fell in love with their UERM and was really tempted to purchase but talked myself out of it as wasn't really looking for an in ear. Kind of regretting it now what with the free ear scan and 25% off :mad: should have just rolled with it.

I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the free scan.....and am getting UERM's! Can't wait!

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #800 of 955
  Some quick 2015 SoCal CanJam headphone impressions:

HiFiMan HE1000  -  Heard one pair of these and was mildly impressed.  Mids and highs sounded really good and the bass went down very low but for whatever reason, the bass sounded very 'fluttery' and lacked any visceral power.  Also the soundstage was really wide but had little depth.  There has been talk that one of the HE1000's was 'bad' and maybe that's the one I heard.

ENIGMAcoustics Dharma  -  These were still in prototype form but sounded very good.  Not quite the HD 800 killer (yet), which were available to audition side-by-side with the Dharmas.  I couldn't detect the x-over point between their tweeter and bass drivers, so they were very well integrated and their FR was pretty neutral.  Looking forward to hearing the final version of these.

MrSpeakers Ether  -  This was the most chameleon-like of all the headphones I heard, which is a very good thing.  The Ethers were everywhere so I was able to hear them on a few different setups and they sounded very different on each one, ranging from 'pretty good' to 'excellent'.  They were very light but their clamping force wasn't quite strong enough for my somewhat narrow head so their fit wasn't the greatest for me, but it wasn't a dealbreaker either.  Compared to the Audeze LCD series (which they compete directly with), the Ethers SQ was extremely competitive and even superior in some respects, but their comfort was significantly better.  Just based on comfort alone, I would take the Ether's over any of the LCD's.  Great job, Dan!

Audeze EL-8 Open-Back  -  Not that impressed.  While not bad, I was really hoping to be blown away by these and I just wasn't.  Great fit and looks, but the sound of one of the earcups would sporadically cut out whenever I would turn my head.  Upon inspection, I noticed that the connectors sit flush on the earcup instead of being recessed, so this might be a pretty serious design flaw for some people.  Their SQ reminded me of a slightly more V-shaped HD 650.  Good but not great.

Audioquest NightHawk  -  Ouch.  These sounded very wrong to me.  Diffuse, dark and muddy.  Amazingly, some people seemed to like them but I am definitely not one of them.  Its a real shame because they look nice, fit nice and are super comfortable.  Unless some drastic SQ changes are made before their release (unlikely), I don't see these doing too well.

Sony MDR-Z7  -  Good but not great.  Very warm and laid back sounding with a somewhat back-of-the-hall soundstage.  Treble was noticeably recessed.  Not my cup of tea but I can see how these could appeal to a listener looking for a nice looking, well designed, really comfortable, mellow sounding headphone.

Sony MDR-R10 (Bass Light version)  -  One of the Headphone Holy Grails.  I finally got to hear one of these unicorns and was pretty impressed.  These sound like an open back headphone even though they are obviously not.  Extremely high resolution with an impressively wide and deep soundstage, their upper treble was on the hot side for me.  But their most glaring flaw was the complete lack of any bass below 70Hz or so.  Nice, but not for me.  Although I am now very curious to hear the Bass Heavy version!

HiFiMan HE-560  -  Now this is more like it!  An overall excellent headphone with terrific bass quality and quantity.  This is a headphone that I could happily live with.

OPPO PM-3  -  Sounded very good but probably not that much better than any of the other really good $400 dynamic driver headphones out there (B&W P7, B&O H6, M&D MH40).  I was hoping for a new level of SQ in the $400 category but I don't think these are quite it.

Focal Spirit One S/ Pro/ Classic  -  I'm lumping these 3 headphones together because as I went to audition the Pro's, its earpads were surprisingly too small to go around my ears (and I have completely average sized ears), so they ended up resting halfway on top of my ears almost like an on-ear headphone would (and I hate on-ear headphones).  So obviously, this was a total dealbreaker for me and I didn't even bother listening to them.  Just FYI.

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0  -  Sounded almost exactly like the original Momentums but now they have larger earcups and are even more comfortable.  Comfort was great.  SQ, not so much.  Too warm and soft sounding for me.  Love the look of them, though.

AudioTechnica ATH-MSR7  -  Wow!  These really impressed me.  While they don't have the deepest bass, their mids and treble are excellent and sound more refined than the M50's. These compete directly with the better $300-400 headphones on the market and they are a fantastic value at $250.

OPPO PM-2  -  Saved the best for last (IMHO)! 
I have been on a quest to find an open-back headphone that is at least as good in overall SQ as my HD 650's but that also has the sub-bass power of my ATH-M50's, all for a reasonable price. 
I know I was asking for a lot, and for a long time, I was afraid that they might not exist.  Every good sounding headphone I tried sounded great at low-to-medium SPLs, but they were all brought to their knees whenever I played back tracks with clean, powerful bass at high SPLs.  The bass would either begin to audibly modulate the midrange frequencies or cause the driver to reach its excursion limits and begin to physically (and very audibly) distort.
The only headphones that have passed this test (that I've tried so far, and I've tried most of them) are the HD 800, but they are $1500, and aren't really an option right now.
So it put a huge smile on my face when I was able to play the first track of The Dark Knight OST (which at 3:27 contains significant amounts of subsonic bass) and as I turned the volume up louder and louder, I heard absolutely zero audible distortion while the bass was literally flapping my earlobes!  Plus their fit, finish, comfort and styling are all top notch.

The PM-2 will definitely be my next reference headphone purchase!

Great impressions, thanks! 

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #801 of 955
  Out of Your Head software ... when you do NOT want to use PC/Mac ??

after testing the OOYH demo, I know that... I want to use Darin Fong's  software.

but... I want to move away from PC/MAC based music server to dedicated Audio music server (like aurender, Aries, Antipodes DX, ...) !

so.... is there a solution ?   Has Darin Fong signed OEM agreement with such company to have them incorporating his technology in their Audio server/streamers ?

Didn't want to get off topic here, but I answered this over at the Out Of Your Head thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/689299/out-of-your-head-new-virtual-surround-simulator/435#post_11478953

-Darin

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #802 of 955
Interesting. I found the NightHawk's to be very good. Anything but diffuse, dark and muddy. They are among my favorite dynamic driver phones.

I respect your opinion, but it just goes to show how completely subjective everybody's individual listening impressions can be.

One person's 'very wrong' can be the next person's 'just right'.
atsmile.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #803 of 955
Rather surprised there have been nearly no reviews/impressions of Ayre Acoustics Codex from folks. Was it just sort of so - so? So much early hype/anticipation and now. ....crickets? ?

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #804 of 955
I respect your opinion, but it just goes to show how completely subjective everybody's individual listening impressions can be.

One person's 'very wrong' can be the next person's 'just right'. :atsmile:

Agreed...tho it also may speak to the conditions. It's tough to draw complete conclusions in show noise. I always try to give stuff I don't like upon first listen a second chance.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #805 of 955
I would love to have heard that conversation! Fang's products are amazing. His HE-560 is fantastic for someone like me who attends Symphony. Closest reproduction I've found. I can't wait to hear the HE-1000!

Oh is it? I'm actually quite curious because you bring up symphony listening. I'm guessing the recordings you are thinking about are designed for speaker listening though? I never tried those types of recordings on the HE-1000.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #806 of 955
Rather surprised there have been nearly no reviews/impressions of Ayre Acoustics Codex from folks. Was it just sort of so - so? So much early hype/anticipation and now. ....crickets? ?

I mentioned them in the impressions column I did for The Audio Traveler. It sounded great...but it was tough to distinguish between all the great sounding DAC/Amps at this show. The dual mini-jack balanced setup was cool. The feature set was very complete...it ticked all the right boxes. I would need to spend a lot more time with it to discern what distinguishes it sonically. That's not a knock on Ayre at all. It's a commentary on how much great gear there is out there for headphones at the moment.

It really is a great time to be a part of this hobby!

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #807 of 955

I liked just about everything about it except for one very major thing....

Only 2 digital inputs (USB and optical) and no analog inputs = No sale (for me) 
frown.gif

I literally asked the guy at the booth "What was Ayre thinging?!", and he said something about them trying to keep the cost below $1500, and I just thanked him for the demo and quickly left. 

For $1500, I'd take the ALO Continental Dual Mono any day of the week!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/760478/the-all-new-continental-dual-mono

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #808 of 955
I liked just about everything about it except for one thing....

Only 2 digital inputs (USB and optical) and no analog inputs = No sale (for me) :frowning2:  

I literally asked the guy at the booth "What was Ayre thinging?!", and he said something about them trying to keep the cost below $1500, and I just thanked him for the demo and quickly left.

I think they (rightly) envision this being an all in one desktop DAC/Amp hooked up to a computer/server source.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #809 of 955

What was very cool was the UE simulator. UE had a universal IEM perfectly flat in sound then that was connected to an iPad showing all the different model of their IEMs. I connected my AK240 to the iPad as the source and then you can play selecting the different IEM models. The iPad will change the sound depending on the signature sound of the IEM selected. The idea is for the user to experience all the different sound signatures of the models to pick the one you like the most. 

You know what's really awesome about their Live Demo system?  It's NOT being done electronically with EQ... that special IEM actually has ALL of the drivers necessary to mimic every CIEM they make (UEPRM excepted).  The iPad engages and disengages drivers as needed in order to simulate each model.  I've already asked UE if I could get that super CIEM, offering my left nut or firstborn as suitable payment, but its not going to happen.  Oh well, I can but dream.  
biggrin.gif

@musicmann59 congrats. I too was impressed with UE's demo table. I actually fell in love with their UERM and was really tempted to purchase but talked myself out of it as wasn't really looking for an in ear. Kind of regretting it now what with the free ear scan and 25% off
mad.gif
should have just rolled with it.

Yeah... I dunno what to say... but it just doesn't get any better than that deal.  
redface.gif
  And I'm with you on the UERM, LOVE that thing!

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #810 of 955

You know what's really awesome about their Live Demo system?  It's NOT being done electronically with EQ... that special IEM actually has ALL of the drivers necessary to mimic every CIEM they make (UEPRM excepted).  The iPad engages and disengages drivers as needed in order to simulate each model.  I've already asked UE if I could get that super CIEM, offering my left nut or firstborn as suitable payment, but its not going to happen.  Oh well, I can but dream.  
biggrin.gif

Yeah... I dunno what to say... but it just doesn't get any better than that deal.  
redface.gif
  And I'm with you on the UERM, LOVE that thing!

Wow! I did not know that. I thought everything was done equalizing with a software. That's even more impressive!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back