CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #871 of 955

Where can you buy those rubber bands in general??? and how big to they make them?  Was thinking about rubber banding a small DAC to the top of my desk amp that's small as well... 

Let me know if you want the Head-Fi bands, I have at least one or two and would be happy to send them to you.  :bigsmile_face:

If he dont take em ill have em <3

I need it to increase the swag quality of my rig

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #872 of 955
Hey Everybody,

I’ve been thinking about Canjam quite often during the past week, and I wanted to say that it was a great show - big props to the whole team.

I feel terrible about my outburst at the registration table. That behavior is unacceptable. I was on my way out, thinking my portable rig was stolen, and the weight of that possibility got the better of me. This community is very important to me. I feel ashamed for anybody present - if they felt threatened, even for a moment - because the fact is some of my closest friends are rooted here. Therefore I owe them, and every one of you, my utmost apologies.

That was unprofessional, and I need to acknowledge that publicly.
I hope you can all see past that, and know that I am wholly committed to helping this hobby move forward.

Most Sincerely,

Michael Mercer

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #873 of 955
I didn't see it, but don't worry about it.  These things happen (coming from someone who used to have anger issues).  My portable setup is pretty awful at the moment, as I don't have the money to upgrade it after building an entire new at-home setup for both speakers and headphones, and I'd be pretty pissed if it was lost.  I used to be really forgetful, so I've gotten in the habit of constantly checking my pockets and such.  That said, since I put so much effort into not losing things these days, it drives me insane when I can't find something, even if it's not worth jack.

Anyone would understand your frustration.  In fact, most people I know would probably show some frustration with losing something that valuable.  Unless you cursed some little kid out or something, anyone should understand, especially people in an enthusiast community (not to mention an audiophile community, which typically involves very expensive equipment).  I've never met you, and I do.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #875 of 955
  Thanks everyone for stopping by Terrace Pavilion 2nd floor and check out world's coolest gadgets...
Come to Tokyo PortaFest Spring festival next..

WHAT IS THIS !!  
eek.gif

eek.gif
 a new DAP ?   Please can you provide any infos or link ? 

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #876 of 955
Nope, it's a bottle of whiskey (or vodka in dmitri's case) with a screen indicating fill level :)

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #877 of 955
anyone going to the Munich High End audio show in may ?  I will try to go this year !

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #878 of 955

WHAT IS THIS !!  
eek.gif

eek.gif
 a new DAP ?   Please can you provide any infos or link ? 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2015-echobox-explorer-x1-portable-media-player-and-finder-x1-ear-phones

Cheers,
K

EDIT: @Gilly87 can probably tell you more....

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #879 of 955
  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2015-echobox-explorer-x1-portable-media-player-and-finder-x1-ear-phones

Cheers,
K

EDIT: @Gilly87 can probably tell you more....

thanks

I really love the design.  

Too bad that it does NOT has a Micro-SD expansion slot !!  Stupid mistake !!  

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #880 of 955

But I want head-fi... I have so many bands but Head-fi!

Oh yeah, I'd love to have one of those... mostly to wrap around my wallet, though. I wonder if I could mod it and print "Sorry" on the other side.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #881 of 955
  thanks

I really love the design.  

Too bad that it does NOT has a Micro-SD expansion slot !!  Stupid mistake !!  

Pretty sure the new design does have a Micro-SD slot. 

http://www.echoboxaudio.com/a/Streaming_Player/

Also, I meant to post this in this thread, and apparently forgot, but my impressions after playing with an Explorer X1 at CanJam: (xposted from the Explorer thread)

Frankly, I went into CanJam with absolutely zero interest in picking up a new DAP. Generally, I'm either prioritizing portability (in which case, my iPhone is my source), or I'm by my laptop, and then I'm more interested in a DAC/Amp to use with TIDAL. Even after playing with some of the crazy A&K DAPs that were being used to demo a bunch of the high end IEMs, I wasn't particularly interested. 

Decided to try the Explorer for two reasons: the first was talking with Gilly87 about the Finders (and some of our similarities in preferred music and sound signature), and the second was the limited selection of music at a lot of the listening stations at CanJam. My iPhone really isn't a good enough source to use with really high end gear, and I wanted something that could drive some serious phone and stream TIDAL. When I tried the Explorer, it was a clear difference, and I can definitely see how it'll make it into my usual kit. 

First, the sound -- I loved the dynamics of the Explorer. No background sound, and a really punchy, live sound that made my Westone 40s absolutely sing. I wish I'd had some hard to drive phones to see how it fared with those, but I loved how good it sounded at low volumes. I did not even try pumping it up towards its high end for fear of blowing a hole in the back of my head. My typical test tracks range from some really congested big band to electronic to some layered acoustic, and the Explorer handled them all well. 

The UI was obviously in beta, and the quirky flask form factor really worked for me, but I can see why it'll be more sellable as a rectangular setup with a better touchscreen. The one issue that I ran into came up when I was trying to disable the equalizer (I always prefer to listen neutral first), and apparently ran into an undocumented software feature (as we in the biz call 'em). As far as it went for me, it was easy enough to use TIDAL and find the test tracks that I wanted. No stuttering or pausing (which is not something I can say with my laptop) -- if that's usually the case, and the issues I've had with throughput on TIDAL are a function of the clients I've used, then buying an Explorer will be an absolute no-brainer for me.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #882 of 955
This is the first I've heard of the explorer, how much will it cost? I'm looking for something similar now too, a DAP that can drive serious headphones (mainly my LCD-3F and oppo pm-3s) and that does hi-res and will stream TIDAL. Right now it seems like the AK240 is the only option though the fiio x7 might fit the bill when it comes out

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #883 of 955
Just experienced the demo of Out of your Head software that made quite the impression at CanJam. Very impressive. With my iPad and my Duoza iems was very enjoyable and immersive. I watch my movies on the smart tv with loudspeakers but I can totally imagine this rocking the world of students with laptops in their dorm rooms.:popcorn:

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #885 of 955
It was a fun day for me.  The NOBLE KAISER 10 is one of my favorite so as the LCD-3.   OPPO's pm-3 coupled with ha-2 is one great partnership.  I sat down on that table for a good 30 minutes putting it to its phases with my Laptop playing my Tidal Playlist and my Note Edge.  It was so good that i bought both of them already and coming to mail.  The RIVA turbo X is the best surprise for me.  That small box filled up the room like no other and all those platinum albums in frames didn't disappoint either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back