CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #901 of 955

Drew and Nichole Baird were showing all Moon Audio carried products- The Bryston Stack​

The Dennis Had Inspire Dragoon IHA-1 $1599 amp making music was a hit.​

The Chord Hugo priced at $2445 was making big music  hooked to a Macbook​

Dan Clark New Masterpiece the ETHER was awesome $1499 .The planar model was to die for. MrSpeakers first proprietary ground up design.

The Dharma Enigma $1200 was making awesome music.​

Guru Frank  Iacone using the WELLS  $7000 headphone amplifier to drive The Dharma Enigma​

Enigma $1500 Glass tube amplifier /Dac combo was making awesome music and was SEXY​

Sexy, Robust and transparent this is a must hear amplifier.​

WEI from Enigma was smiling and with good reason. The Enigma Line was exciting and promising.​

Recording Artist and friend Jennifer Knight was visiting Ultimate Ears  for a Digital scan​

Jennifer Knight getting her scan done and getting ready to go on the road.​

Guru Frank Iacone having fun with Pendulumic Bluetooth Headphones.​

Jennifer Knight and I having Coffee at Starbucks​

The Schiit Ragnarok $1699 and the Mike Moffatt designed Yggdrasil DAC$2300​

Jason Stoddard  had his Schiit together for the CanJam​

Fang Bian from HiFiMan was busy showcasing the magnificent HE1000 headphone $3K​

Wywires had their transparent Red Cables $239 at show prices​

Final Audio had their  full line of IEM and  headphones available​

Final has two new Flagship  Headphones coming shortly priced at $2500 and $5000 no prototypes were available​

Philips had a wide variety of new monitor headphones starting at $149​

Gavin Fish with Dave Clark Editor of Positive Feedback​

Light Harmonic Casey Hartwell always colorful and exciting showing the Larry Ho designs from LH​

MIT new Vero line of Cables were making some terrific Music. Priced from $299-$499 were transparent and let the music flow.​

Henry Lee from Aurender had the Flow on Display​
Aurender Flow priced at $1295 with the leather case and full review coming on Guru.​

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #902 of 955
Thanks for sharing the pictures of CanJam, it was very much appreciated.

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #906 of 955

Great work!  I'm going to make sure to listen to these and more of Oppo's lineup at the next meet!

The PM-2 and PM-3 are both really really good headphones at their price points.  I'm pretty impressed with both.

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #907 of 955
Hey everyone,

Two weeks ago, the first CanJam SoCal 2015 impressions began flowing into this thread.

Since then, over 900 posts and hundreds of photos have poured in, as we all shared our thoughts and feelings about the show, the gear, the music, and the great times that we shared with one another.

And now, we are happy to spread a little icing on this cake, as we announce the winners of our Post-Your-Impressions contest.  
smile.gif

Audeze EL-8 = @nhlducks35
Questyle QP1 = @moedawg140
Noble 4 = @Stillhart

Congratulations guys!  Please PM me with your full names, shipping addresses, and phone number so that we can get these out to you right away.  Thanks!

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #908 of 955
Woo!  Thanks, guys!

And gratz to the other winners as well!

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #909 of 955
  CanJam SoCal 2015

Smyth Research – The Smyth Realiser is legendary, almost mythical, amongst gamers.  Before the Creative X7 came out a few months ago, there was exactly one virtual surround device that was better than the $120 Astro Mixamp and it was the $3000 Realiser.  It does two things that nobody else does:  it is customized to you specifically (to make it sound as convincing as possible to your brain) and it tracks your head movement so that sounds always seem to be coming from the same place even if you turn your head.  As you can imagine, both would be amazing features when gaming.....
...continued next post...

Stillhart,  I am very interested in the Realiser, but I read that they were displaying a prototype of a new version.  Do you have any news about this ? 

Also, do you think that the realiser can be used while listening to music in an "audiophile" mood (with TOL DAC/AMP/Headphones) or that it is rather for the Fun/Game cessions ? 

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #910 of 955

Stillhart,  I am very interested in the Realiser, but I read that they were displaying a prototype of a new version.  Do you have any news about this ? 

Also, do you think that the realiser can be used while listening to music in an "audiophile" mood (with TOL DAC/AMP/Headphones) or that it is rather for the Fun/Game cessions ? 

It wasn't a prototype, it was a mockup of what their new product MIGHT look like.  From what I gather, it simulates even more speakers (like 16 instead of 7?) and will cost about half of the Realizer, thanks to advancements in tech since the Realizer was created.  It's very exciting!

I'm not sure if you can use it as a passthru to a different DAC/Amp, sorry.  I know that it's targetted more towards the cinema experience, hence the new one being 16 speakers... apparently that's one of the new standards.  Personally, I've never been a fan of surround for music unless it's specifically a surround album (5.1 DVD-Audio, Quadrophonic, etc).  I assume it'll work fantastically for those...

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #914 of 955

1. 2006 in New York was (as @bozebuttons said) the first of its kind, and was called the "2006 National Head-Fi Meet."
  2. 2007 in San Jose was called "Head-Fest."
  3. 2008 was originally scheduled to be in Chicago, but the plans had to be changed or canceled. A team of community members in Florida saved our butts, scrambled to put together a fun event in Fort Lauderdale, and they called it "CanJam."
  4. 2009 was in Los Angeles, and one of the team members from 2008's organizing team (jp11801) was out in California, and led the team to organize that year's event. The CanJam name continued.
  5. 2009 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest contacted me to ask about putting together a CanJam-type event to be held within Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. We didn't have much time to get it together, but jp11801 and I flew out to Denver to meet with RMAF's board. We agreed to do it, and jp11801 and I chose to call it CanJam@RMAF.
  6. 2010 was in Chicago and was called CanJam, and was the last independent CanJam until this year's CanJam SoCal.
  7. 2015 was in Costa Mesa and was called CanJam SoCal 2015.
  8. In August 2015, we'll have our first CanJam outside the U.S., when we host CanJam London 2015 August 29-30, 2015 at the Russell Hotel in Central London (more details to follow soon).
  9. CanJam@RMAF continued each year since 2009, and will be held again this year at RMAF, October 2-4, 2015, making it our seventh annual CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.

Of course, this is just a brief bullet-point history of the (inter)national events so far, and says nothing to specifically credit every individual who helped organize each of these events. For those of you haven't been on one of the organizing teams, you'll just have to take my word for it that it takes a tremendous amount of work and dedication from teams of people to make things like this happen.

1. 2009 was in Los Angeles, and one of the team members from 2008's organizing team (jp11801) was out in California, and led the team to organize that year's event. The CanJam name continued.

sorry I forgot to answer all these in the SAME WINDOW FELLAZ!!

That LA event was AWESOME:
peeps like Philip O'Hanlon (Luxman, VIVID, Brinkmann) and the late (dear friend, and Sponsor of HeadFi) Lee Weiland (aka Cryoparts) were there,
alongside Manley Labs with a then-KILLER proto of a serious tube headphone amp!!!!
GOTTA ask what happened to that thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back