Can you hear the high-pitched whine of a TV?
Jul 15, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #46 of 116
depends on the level of ambient noise, sometimes i can hear it, sometimes i can even hear my motherboard with no moving parts

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #47 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman64
My friend is bothered not only by the sound of the television screen, but flourescent lightbulbs as well!
blink.gif

I know what he's going through - in my early 20's I was exactly the same way. It's a slightly pulsating high pitched "hum" that I heard just about everywhere there were flourescents! It was maddening!

I don't think I can hear them anymore, or I don't pay attention anymore or the fixtures just have gotten a LOT better.

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #48 of 116
I can hear it. My parents never could. They would always leave the TV on mute when they were out of the room and it annoyed the hell out of me. They told me I was just imagining things.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #50 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
I can hear the whine...I think it's somewhere in the range of 15-16 khz. If that whine is ever absent in the future, I'll know I've got some hearing loss ;(

Or that the technology has improved.

For some reason, I wouldn't consider the tonal characteristic of it whiny, though; I'd think of it more as hissy. But not only do I get that, but there's this strange feeling in my head that I get when I television is turned on, particularly a tube TV. It's like these waves are going through my head. I can even feel/hear/sense/whatever it through the wall sometimes.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #51 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
I know what he's going through - in my early 20's I was exactly the same way. It's a slightly pulsating high pitched "hum" that I heard just about everywhere there were flourescents! It was maddening!

I don't think I can hear them anymore, or I don't pay attention anymore or the fixtures just have gotten a LOT better.

I imagine it's a little bit of both; I seem to remember hearing it faintly on certain (older) fluorescents, and not at all on others.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #52 of 116
We're on the third page and no one has said that they can't hear it? Or do the older Head-Fiers just not want to admit it
wink.gif
?

For the record, I hear it, and can tell when the TV is on in the other room, and whatnot. It doesn't drive me crazy though. I can tune it out.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #53 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
We're on the third page and no one has said that they can't hear it? Or do the older Head-Fiers just not want to admit it
wink.gif
?

For the record, I hear it, and can tell when the TV is on in the other room, and whatnot. It doesn't drive me crazy though. I can tune it out.

Honestly, I don't see what the shame in not hearing it would be; past a certain point (in the low kHz actually) the higher up you go on the frequency graphs, the less is going on musically.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #54 of 116
Hmm.. that's actually really interesting wualta, I never thought that the pitch would be coming from 29.97fps x 525 lines = 15734Hz
biggrin.gif
. But then again, if my CRT monitor is at 75 frames x 768 lines (1024x768 resolution) how come I can still hear that high pitched buzz
confused.gif
? Is it different for a monitor and TV?

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #56 of 116
Uhh...I'm only 18 and I have never noticed it. I'm going to listen for it, but I never realized TVs made this kind of sound.

confused.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #57 of 116
Yeah I can hear it too. It's not that annoying, but that's probably because I always turn it off whenever I hear the noise. My dog barks when it's left on for awhile so he's probably annoyed too.
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #58 of 116
Yep, hear it all the time. I started noticing it while still in grade school, and when i asked my parents they just gave me this strange look... Thanks to this thread, i don't feel all that special anymore. I thought it was my super power...
tongue.gif
16/m

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #59 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan
Hmm.. that's actually really interesting wualta, I never thought that the pitch would be coming from 29.97fps x 525 lines = 15734Hz
biggrin.gif
. But then again, if my CRT monitor is at 75 frames x 768 lines (1024x768 resolution) how come I can still hear that high pitched buzz
confused.gif
? Is it different for a monitor and TV?

As you point out, the horizontal scan frequency is certainly different for computer monitors. CRT TVs are pikers compared to a PC monitor.

Repair techs say: switching power supplies, sheetmetal shielding resonating at subharmonic frequencies. I'm not really sure they know for certain.

Do you really hear it as a buzz rather than a whistle or whine?

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #60 of 116
I hate that TV noise, I can tell when people turn on TVs in other rooms before the sound kicks in. Another one that has a nasty high pitched noise are light bulbs... it's never truly quiet till the lights are off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back