Can you hear the high-pitched whine of a TV?
Jul 15, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #33 of 116
Shouldn't this be in the Member's Lounge?
confused.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #34 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Shouldn't this be in the Member's Lounge?
confused.gif

Meh, I never posted there before. Good point though...if the admins wanna move it, fine by me, although it'll receive less attention
frown.gif

Glad many others here can hear it too...why does this 'white sound' come out so?

And I think 'apesh*t' is the word of the day on this thread!
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #36 of 116
Everytime I turn on my Sony TV it oscilates like crazy. As it warms up the high pitch squeal goes away. About a year ago a friend of mine tested my hearing with a frequency generator. I was able to get all the way up to about 18Khz. A bit above that it was more perceived than heard. 47/M

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #37 of 116
My parents still don't know how to turn off the TV (well "theatre" system I suppose). I'll be coming down the stairs in the morning to take a shower and half asleep I know if the TV was left on all night because of the whine. When I walk in there to turn it off I find the cable box is off, but the TV and receiver are on still.

Also, our TV whines louder when the screen it white. It changes intensity as the picture changes, a blank black being the least noticable.

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #38 of 116
Yes. I have noticed that Zeniths are the worst. Some RCA's are really bad too. I have found that my Sony and others are better.

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #40 of 116
My friend is bothered not only by the sound of the television screen, but flourescent lightbulbs as well!
blink.gif

I too notiuce the screen, but as others mentioned, I turn on the audio and I don't notice too much.

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #41 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Can you hear the high-pitched whine of a TV?

I've heard worse from other CRT TVs, but it still drives me nuts sometimes.

Like right now, since you mentioned it. Jerk.

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #42 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ3810
I believe that would be the flyback transformer that runs at 15.75 Khz.

Yup, quite close. It's 15.625 kHz for PAL and 15.734 kHz for NTSC.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #43 of 116
After reading this I have a perceived tinnitus going on for no reason other than the placebo effect. YAY!

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #44 of 116
Yes! I can hear it. It drives me crazy!!!!

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #45 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
I asked many people in my life if they can hear that really high-pitched noise of a TV, esp. when it has just been turned on. I think in my whole life, only one or two said they could slightly hear it. I can hear it clearly, and it bugs me after awhile; in classrooms, sometimes the teacher leaves the TV on after a movie andwhile everybody is working, I'm trying to ignore that whine.

I'm just wondering how...sensitive (is that the word?) your ears are...

Yes, I can - regretfully, I just did it 2 days ago!! I walked into my office's downstairs division and heard the flyback transformer to one of their small (7 inch) B&W security monitors.

"Don't you hear that?" (I said to the other manager)

"Hear what???"

So...I reached over and turned the monitor off.

"Oh!! Now I can hear it!"

She didn't, until I brought it to her attention.

It's nice to know, that at the age of 40, I can still hear these things!
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back