Can you hear the high-pitched whine of a TV?
Jul 14, 2006 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 116

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
I asked many people in my life if they can hear that really high-pitched noise of a TV, esp. when it has just been turned on. I think in my whole life, only one or two said they could slightly hear it. I can hear it clearly, and it bugs me after awhile; in classrooms, sometimes the teacher leaves the TV on after a movie andwhile everybody is working, I'm trying to ignore that whine.

I'm just wondering how...sensitive (is that the word?) your ears are...

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Yes! Both my wife and I can hear it, and it sometimes drives us apesh*t. Good thing my main TV is an HDTV (no whining due to a different technology).

LOL apesh*t...I love it.

Yeah, I guess we can all use a TV for our daily checking (not daily for me; I hate TV) of whether we are getting old or not
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 116
I hate it soooo much. My TV is in the basement and I can still hear it. No one else in my family can. =/

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 116
lol maybe this is a sign: If you can hear the TV, you're destined to be a Head-Fi'er!
wink.gif

Anyway, I'm 16. Crazy old, eh?
icon10.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 116
I can hear it off CRT's and TL's, it's usually pretty annoying. Although when I hear my TV I'm not really bothered by it, I think I've gotten used to it. The same goes for clocks that are ticking, I won't notice it untill I concentrate on it.

What does bother me though are TL's because it's more of a tinitus beep, The first time I heared it I thought I had tinitus from the day before..........untill I moved my head *phew*

The last time I tried my hearing I could hear between 20-19000Hz (age 18). When I get older I won't be bothered by it I think, it will be more like 20-13000Hz (at age 50).

When you're young you have good hearing but you can't afford high-end equipment. When you're old you can afford it, but you're hearing has gotten worse so you don't need high-end equipment.

Life is so unfair.....

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
meh, we can always scare the naïve into thinking they have tinnitus
cool.gif

I actually got worried about that yesterday, I had left the TV on mute in the other room and forgot about it, and I kept hearing this nasty ringing, I was starting to get really worried, until I realized I left the TV on
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back