Can you hear the high-pitched whine of a TV?
Jul 14, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #16 of 116
Houston we have a problem, lol. Since you guys mention it I'm starting to pick up that noise, but I can easily ignore it, I really hate high pitched noises especially my alarm clock, sometimes I have to wack it and it a few times until it goes away. You know whats really annoying those cars with the loud boom boxes, I can hear the base, barely hear it but you can feel it, you can't hear the words thats what drives me nuts, and I live up 4 floors.

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #17 of 116
I used to have a power supply in my computer that had a capacitor making a 17 000 hz buzz. It drove me insane. I think TVs are around this area or lower.

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 116
I can still hear it! Hooray!!

I haden't noticed it lately beacuse our two family TVs are HDs with newer technologies. But one of the kids TVs are one of the more old fashioned CRTs.(about five years old.....no, the TV; the kids are older.)

And I can still hear it! uh....with the sound turned down just a bit.

Oh; and I'm 62.

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #22 of 116
I can hear it too. I'm 22 (23 next week)
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW: The pitch isn't there all the time. Weird...

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #23 of 116
LOL! I know what 003 and Land are talking about. I had the same experience the other day when I was upstairs in my room and I heard this really high pitched noise and I was freaking out that I might have tinnitus *I don't think I could live without my hearing
biggrin.gif
* But after a while when I went downstairs to get a drink, I realized that it was coming from the CRT someone left on downstairs... (my TV just displays a black screen when the cable box is turned off) er... I'm 19..

Does anyone else find that they're always the one going around the house turning off TVs that have been left on? (maybe it's cause the cable box's remote is terrible at turning off the TV....)

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #24 of 116
Although I'm glad I can still hear it, it drives me insane as well...22/M

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #26 of 116
I replaced my monitor with an LCD because the noise got worse over time until I simply couldn't stand it anymore. My TV is still a CRT though, but it displays a blue screen when there's no signal, so it's impossible for me to accidentally forget that it's on.

If I'm the last one leaving at work I can tell if the camera monitor or any computer monitors are still on just by listening, so I check them all until the noise goes away. None of them are exceptionally annoying, fortunately, so it's more like an uneasy feeling of something being 'off' in how the place sounds.

(edit: I'm 21/M)

Jul 15, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #27 of 116
It's the horizontal sweep frequency of a CRT-type TV and it's 30 frames time 525 lines: 15,750 Hz. Not quite 16 kHz. Just above the high-end cutoff of stereo FM broadcasting. The sound comes from the windings of the flyback transformer.

Remember, true audiophiles can hear above this frequency. They can't hear it, but they can purrrceeeeeve it.

EDIT: Sorry, JJ3810, I missed your earlier post.

Jul 15, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #28 of 116
Most people can hear over 20Khz. I hear up to 22Khz. I also had to replace my CRT with an LCD, because of the high pitch noise, and it had a bunch of other problems as well. I'm loving the LCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back