Can you hear the high-pitched whine of a TV?
Jul 17, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #106 of 116
Yeah I hear it, but I think us Brits get a slightly less annoying pitch, when I turn the TV on to 60hz on some games the TV hates it, it was designed so it could but I'd defo take my PAL tv over and an american one if you get that noise all the time...

Oh I'm 19

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #107 of 116
I've always been able to hear those tones, and can still hear them at age 48. My PC at home produces some very high pitched noises through my speakers, so I leave them off unless I'm listening to music.

I can remember as a kid going into certain department stores, and being able to hear a very high-pitched sound as soon as I walked in. No one else ever heard it, though
confused.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #110 of 116
I can definetly hear it, and it drives me nuts. My brother in law always leaves his tv on video after he's turned off his 360 and doesn't bother turning the tv off...I'm 25 if that matters...

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #111 of 116
It's only 15.75 kHz we're talking about -- anyone under the age of 70 without hearing loss should be able to hear this sound when present, but not all CRT's produce the sound audibly.

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #113 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yup. I can hear the high frequency sound of any CRT. And often from another room as well.

-Ed

When I lived with my parents and my sister, that sound would drive me nuts. I'd go from room to room seeking the TV that was on.

Same with a CRT. I'm so glad I'm using a nice quiet LCD now. What's even worse is an old CRT that has a loose connection in the back... eeeeee.

Jul 23, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #115 of 116
I have a habit of bumping lounge threads
biggrin.gif
! Anyway...

I can hear the whine of CRT TVs, but not CRT monitors
confused.gif
(apart from the really old monitors).

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
in classrooms, sometimes the teacher leaves the TV on after a movie andwhile everybody is working, I'm trying to ignore that whine.

^Deja vous. There have been cases where I've had to discretely turn off the TV when the teacher's out of the room; got some funny looks from classmates who asked me what I was doing. When I say I can tell if TVs have been left on, and about the whining noise, they just say I'm being stupid. They probably can hear it, just don't know what they're listening out for.

Jul 24, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #116 of 116
Yes, those analog TVs are noisy. (And the fact that I'm a young Chinese chick doesn't help at all...) But it's the flickering that really bothers me (too used to LCDs...).
On a side note, I have a video card that will buzz when running certain 3D programs. And I actually like the fan noise from high power Delta fans... (Just like how motorcycle owners like loud engines!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back