Can you hear the high-pitched whine of a TV?
Jul 16, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #91 of 116
Yes, especially last night when we were in a motel 6. More evident on older tvs imo.

Jul 16, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #93 of 116
I can hear it and it annoys the hell out of me. My parents dont hear it though, or atleast they dont "register" it.

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #94 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
This is correct. And CRT's are the only kind of TV that have one. Not all CRT's will be crappy enough to output much sound from this, but some are. I hear it every time I fo into my local hardware store from their crappy CRT at the register.

LCD, DLP, Plasma - none of these will exhibit this "problem".

I can hear all of my LCD displayed devices hum. My Cowon A2, my monitor, and my PDA all have this hum. Not high pitched like a CRT, but still there.

-- edit --

It's not loud like TV's, but still present. I can also hear my mouse (MX500) whine when I am ~1ft away.

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #95 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
I can hear it clearly, and it bugs me after awhile; in classrooms, sometimes the teacher leaves the TV on after a movie andwhile everybody is working, I'm trying to ignore that whine.

Thanks a lot man, now that's all I'm hearing...gotta buy an LCD TV
rolleyes.gif

Jul 17, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #96 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
I asked many people in my life if they can hear that really high-pitched noise of a TV, esp. when it has just been turned on. I think in my whole life, only one or two said they could slightly hear it. I can hear it clearly, and it bugs me after awhile; in classrooms, sometimes the teacher leaves the TV on after a movie andwhile everybody is working, I'm trying to ignore that whine.

I'm just wondering how...sensitive (is that the word?) your ears are...

I can hear it on TV's with broken or cheap flyback transformers.

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #97 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
I can hear all of my LCD displayed devices hum. My Cowon A2, my monitor, and my PDA all have this hum. Not high pitched like a CRT, but still there.

-- edit --

It's not loud like TV's, but still present. I can also hear my mouse (MX500) whine when I am ~1ft away.

Your LCD may be humming, but it isn't humming at 15.75 kHz because of a flyback transformer. There is no electron gun in an LCD.

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #99 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Your LCD may be humming, but it isn't humming at 15.75 kHz because of a flyback transformer. There is no electron gun in an LCD.

Oh yeah I know that, it's just that people make LCDs seems noiseless. When that is just not the case.

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #100 of 116
Yes, I can hear it quite clearly.

Jul 17, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #101 of 116
Sorry to go a little off topic, but when I turn off my PPA there is a large bang or whatever it may be called, I have read that others experience this (I have it even when I turn the volume all the way down.) When the phones are not on my head, you hear a sort of a crackle. Sometimes when I am laying in my bed beside my computer desk with my computer stuff and audio stuff on the right of it, I hear a similiar bang or whatever from what I think is my dell 2005fpw lcd monitor. Is that caused by bad power or something? Also, do other people hear / notice this like the tv whine, cause I don't think my parents do.

Oh, and I have some 48" floor standing blacklites, do other people also hear the high pitched sound these create when powered on?

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #102 of 116
Same here, TVs, certain light bulbs, sometimes the router, sometimes other stuff I can't determine. Luckily the TV doesn't really bother me anymore, it's the other stuff that does :p I remember one of my professors brought in a noise generator and oscilliscope and went up the spectrum. Once it went above your threshold you would put your hand down. Most people were around 15-16k IIRC, so I would imagine most people can hear the TV whine.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #103 of 116
I can hear my TV whine too, when I'm in the room or close by, but not when too far away. My parents can hear that too, but none of us are really bothered by it.

I sometimes can also hear my laptop's noise, not the fan noise, but circuit noise.
Hmmm, I think I remember reading somewhere that humans have normal hearing range up to 16kHz, am I right?

EDIT: Oh...I'm 20/M

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #104 of 116
I actually ran an electronic repair shop for 15 years and we would put this *sound* to use on a daily basis. Except for a few specific problems (audio...vert..) our fixed sets were run without audio since you could easily hear if there were problems with any set in the shop by a variance in this ringing. You didn't have to see the picture to tell that there was a problem you could just hear it. You could also tell if there were problems when sets were first turned on before the CRT came up by listening to this sound.

That was probably the quietest place I'll ever work.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back