Can you hear the high-pitched whine of a TV?
Jul 15, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #61 of 116
Me and my best friend always get annoyed because of it when the tv is on but not making a noise.

I can sleep with my pc on downloading with fans running @ 40db but hell I never catch sleep with that "beeeeeeeeeeeeeee...." from the tv...

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #62 of 116
I hear the sound; it drives me bananas, which I suppose is just short of apesh*t.

Is there a device that could cancel out that frequency, aside from the power button.

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #63 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Is there a device that could cancel out that frequency, aside from the power button.

Yes, Bose noise cancelling headphones.

[Sorry.
very_evil_smiley.gif
]

And yeah, I can hear that noise, too. And a big reason I *love* LCD computer monitors. They don't whine... at least I can't hear it.

My age: 34 in a week or two.

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #64 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I hear the sound; it drives me bananas, which I suppose is just short of apesh*t.

A higher quality TV / replacement higher quality flyback transformer. Some flybacks are noiser than others, and usually the better the TV ($$$$) the more attention they pay to things like flyback resonance and horizontal scan noise. Pro monitors for instance are, mostly, dead quiet - you can't have that 15k resonance in a studio setting getting underneath an ultrasonic filter and on to the recording / video.

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #65 of 116
Oh yes, I can hear it. Always have and have never got used to it. It drives me apesh*t too. I would even say that I have often turned off the TV just because the whine was driving me nuts. I am planning on an LCD HDTV soon (westinghouse 37" 1080p
cool.gif
) to sort of remedy the situation, of course it will double as a pc monitor too since I spend more time on the PC than in front of the TV
lambda.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #66 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
I'm just wondering how...sensitive (is that the word?) your ears are...

I'm 35 going on 36, and I hear it. Or at least used to, since I finished purging my house of CRTs a couple of months ago and have gone all-LCD (although some LCDs also have noise problems).

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #67 of 116
I'm rather young. 15 - 16 on Dec. 24th so it's not surprising if I wake up from my sleep due to the noise. I can hear it THROUGH THE WALLS. I'm one floor below.
frown.gif

If you can't hear it... then you shouldn't be here.
rolleyes.gif

Obviously, people who can hear it have superior hearing compared to those who cannot hear it.

For those who want to test it, just turn to a video channel.

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #69 of 116
That's it...I'm adding to my sig 'White noise drives me apesh*t!'
cool.gif

This is white noise, right?

Anyway, yeah, I think us hearing it is seriously our calling to be a Head-Fi'er!

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #70 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
That's it...I'm adding to my sig 'White noise drives me apesh*t!'
cool.gif

This is white noise, right?

Anyway, yeah, I think us hearing it is seriously our calling to be a Head-Fi'er!

It's not white noise, it's a specific frequency.
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #73 of 116
Woah, you guys are right!

At first, I thought you meant a pet mouse, so I went over to the pet store, picked them all up, and listened to them. Couldn't hear a whine or wtv until I squeezed them like stress balls. That did the trick...to get kicked out of the store, at least.

So yeah, now I'm at home, and the computer mouse, I thought, "No way..." but I had to put my ear right up to the optical light of my Mx518 to hear it. Wicked sick!

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #75 of 116
actually, the mouse whine is audible to my ears when im rather close to it - 1.5ft away, both X & Y axis - with a dead quiet room (no fan, or whatsoever turned on). The first time I heard it, i was like...What is that noise...and I went searching for it and found the optical mouse to be making the noise.

Rectifiers make noise as well...some are rather loud, some are not. Do NOT place your ears close to a power supply just to hear the rectifier's noise...you have been warned
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back