Can you hear the high-pitched whine of a TV?
Jul 15, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #76 of 116
I can hear it occasionally but it's rare. It seems that certain tings set it off because only some of the time does it even do it. I dunno, maybe I'm not listening hard enough.

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #77 of 116
Hmm, I don't hear a thing (both mouse and TV). It's an optical mouse, so does that make any difference? My TV is flatscreen and 100Hz. I do hear a low electrical buzzing sound coming through my PC speakers at night (quit unaudible during the day). Therefore, I always pull the plug...

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #78 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
Hmm, I don't hear a thing (both mouse and TV). It's an optical mouse, so does that make any difference? My TV is flatscreen and 100Hz. I do hear a low electrical buzzing sound coming through my PC speakers at night (quit unaudible during the day). Therefore, I always pull the plug...

Look, we caught, I mean found, somebody who can't hear the 'certain frequencies'! Burn him!
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #79 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
As you point out, the horizontal scan frequency is certainly different for computer monitors. CRT TVs are pikers compared to a PC monitor.

Repair techs say: switching power supplies, sheetmetal shielding resonating at subharmonic frequencies. I'm not really sure they know for certain.

Do you really hear it as a buzz rather than a whistle or whine?

Sorry, excuse my lack of vocabulary. To me it sounds extremely similar to what I would hear from a CRT TV, that is the really high pitched whistle or whine people have described in this thread. I guess "buzz" is an incorrect way of describing it.

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #81 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woosh
ok im sorry but what the hell are you guys on about???
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

When you're in a quiet room turn on the tv and mute the sound, listen for a annoying high pitched sound.

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #82 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
I've been able to hear it for as long as I can remember. I can even tell when talking to somone on the phone if their TV is on.
eek.gif

Interesting, as analogue phone lines are usually pretty much limited to ~ 300 Hz - 3 kHz, and even digital lines usually cut out at ~ 8 kHz (for ISDN). So I wonder what your brain reconstructs the tv noise from...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #85 of 116
My old Panasonic TV used to put out that high pitched whine. I remember having to turn off the TV whenever I wanted to do any critical listening on my speaker system. However, the whine stopped a year ago. That's when I replaced the TV with a 32" high-def Sony LCD.
biggrin.gif
Those things are completely quiet.

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #86 of 116
I'm 29 and I can hear it and have been able to for as long as I can remember. It doesn't bother me all that much nowadays. With all the things that make noise - air conditioning, PC fans, CRT TVs, some power transformers, refridgerator cooling units, flourescent bulbs, etc I don't pay much attention. Of course, I also have 2 kids under age 4 who make more than enough noise to mask all of those pesky background sounds.
wink.gif

Jeff

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #88 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
We're on the third page and no one has said that they can't hear it? Or do the older Head-Fiers just not want to admit it
wink.gif
?

For the record, I hear it, and can tell when the TV is on in the other room, and whatnot. It doesn't drive me crazy though. I can tune it out.

I think that most people hear it; it just doesnt get mentally processed.

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #89 of 116
Depends on the TV or monitor, they've gotten a lot quieter over the years. I used to have TVs and monitors which whined loud enough that I couldn't sleep in the next room next to them even with both doors closed and no input to them...

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #90 of 116
Quote:

I believe that would be the flyback transformer that runs at 15.75 Khz.

This is correct. And CRT's are the only kind of TV that have one. Not all CRT's will be crappy enough to output much sound from this, but some are. I hear it every time I fo into my local hardware store from their crappy CRT at the register.

LCD, DLP, Plasma - none of these will exhibit this "problem".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back