Can you have too many cans?
Aug 14, 2010 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

gimmeshelter

100+ Head-Fier
Recently bought a pair of Alessandro MS1i's and have already started the MS1000 mod (thanks head-fi) I'm really enjoying the science and pleasure of this hobby and find myself already looking to other cans. So far I have a wishlist of the following:
Beyer Dynamic DT880
Sennheiser HD650
Audio Technika ATH A700
AKG K701 white
I guess I'm wondering at what stage do you think right I've got too many cans? Or do you never reach that stage?
Can you have too many cans?

Aug 14, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 34
if you have much time and much moment and labile mood to hear the music, then you should get some cans indeed 
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 34
I vote for selling some of them.. I can't even count how many times I've sold, repurchased then resold the same exact cans or sold 3 pairs just to buy one pair. It's a good way to try a bunch of different headphones, and since headphones have a fairly good resale value, think of it as simply renting them. :)

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 34
There's an article recently published about a member from here who has $50K+ worth of headphones and equipment, so don't worry, you aren't quite there, yet.
tongue_smile.gif

I think it's just a balance between having found the perfect headphones for you and knowing when to realize that you've reached the point of drastically increasingly diminishing returns.

Headphone-wise, I think I'm there already. I really enjoy my HD650s and even if a huge sack of cash were to fall into my lap out of the sky, I don't really desire anything more. Are better cans out there? Absolutely. But these are perfect for me and I am happy with them. Unfortunately, the matter of upgrading and buying DACs and amps is a whole 'nother story for me, still. Sorry wallet.

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 34
You sure can!
But you are far from there yet.... Just enjoy.

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 34
Most went after a while, but some are keepers. I personally don't need a fantastillion cans for different moods and genres, as I do 90% shuffle play through electronica, jazz and classical, so only the good allrounders remain. As others have stated, buying & selling is a good way to get to know the most prominent stuff. Another possibility is visiting meets, I do that 2-3 times per year. Meeting the geeks personally is even more fun than trying their rigs.

In your case, I suggest the DT880 as next step, that is a "classical" combination together with the MS1K. But don't take the 32 or 250 ohm version.

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 34
Thanks, a lot of great replys there, liked the idea of considering the cans as being on loan. Probably makes you feel a bit better knowing you could recoup a but of your cash for other cans or equipment. I'll definately try the DT880 next then take it from there. Looking forward to the journey, it's not about where you're at but how you get there!

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 34
You can have too many crappy ear buds, cheap behind the neck street sylers, and those horrid "optimized for iPod" crap, like I do.  But, you can never have too many quality cans.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 34
Headphones are for listening.

If you're listening to all of the headphones you own regularly, then you don't have too many.  If there are pairs that never get used and have become somewhat redundant in your collection, then you do have too many.

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 34
When you have headphones that haven't been touched in months, you have too many.  Speaking of which, I've got a few around here that need to go.

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #13 of 34
I think uncle erik nailed it.
They are only worth having if you use them.
If you don't use them, they can be converted into money quite easily in the for sale forum.

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 34

Quote:
When you have headphones that haven't been touched in months, you have too many.  Speaking of which, I've got a few around here that need to go.

I agree. In my case however, I randomly get either my Grado SR60 or AKG K701 all the time. I assume having these two different headphones makes my ears happy and makes my headphones USEFUL. Mathematically speaking, 50% for SR60 and 50% for K701. If I buy another headphone, the equation will be 33.3% for SR60, 33.3% for K701 and 33.3% for my new headphone!
biggrin.gif

We must use our headphones so that the money spent on them will be justified.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 34
You have the right idea.  I joined Head-Fi about 18 months ago and went crazy at first buying low to mid-level priced cans.  Most of those are gone now but they sure were worth the ride and taught me what I like and don't like and got me to where I am today with a handful of phones that I enjoy immensely and will continue tweaking and trying new FOTM's as time goes on.  You're in the right place - Head-Fiers are truly a nice lot of chaps (and gals)  who will go out of their way to help you on your journey.  Read the threads, ask questions and ....sorry about your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back