Can I mix (studio work) with my DT-770's?
Mar 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Philly boy

New Head-Fier
I am teaching myself Pro ToolsHD 9.0 (M-Powered) and CUBase6. I am building a "Hackintosh" box to run these apps and my many plugins. I have an M-Audio ProFire 610 firewire I/O interface. I have a gaggle of mics from live sound days. I could treat the room (8' x 10' cement walls and floor) to sound good with near field monitors, but I found an app by Focusrite called VRM-in-a-Box that can simulate different nearfield monitors in several different listening environments (studio control room, living room, etc) into a set of cans.

My question is, can I use this set up with my DT-770's? Does the M-Audio I/O box have a decent enough DAC and line amp or do I need something additional? I own an E7/E9 combo but it's connected to my everyday PC in another area of the house.

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 7
You can mix with whatever you want. If you're very familiar with the sound of the 770s they're probably an ideal mixing platform for you.  I'd make sure to tweak on speakers/car stereos/crappy headphones/etc. if you're blessing something for actual release.  There's a reason a lot of mixing and mastering shops have a wide variety of monitors lined up, and a specific reason why one of those is often the hideous Yamaha NS10M. 

So basically mix on whatever you're familiar with and use speakers for verification to make sure you didn't do something complete stupid :)

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
You can mix with whatever you want. If you're very familiar with the sound of the 770s they're probably an ideal mixing platform for you.  I'd make sure to tweak on speakers/car stereos/crappy headphones/etc. if you're blessing something for actual release.  There's a reason a lot of mixing and mastering shops have a wide variety of monitors lined up, and a specific reason why one of those is often the hideous Yamaha NS10M. 

So basically mix on whatever you're familiar with and use speakers for verification to make sure you didn't do something complete stupid :)

Dan1son, you make a good point here sir.

Although I've been searching / yearning for a HP that has a good relationship with a recently bought Grace M902b, and have been tossing around the usual neutral'ish mixing/reference HP options like HD600-650 or 271-2... (Not to mention the LCD2 I'm really lusting after)...

The truth is, If you're very very familiar with how a well recorded track sounds on your existing monitors / HP's... say something like Omara Portuando or late Bob Dylan Cd's... then you have a point of reference and "should" be able to use these sounds as a reference to guide you you on mixing decisions. ie; get closer to the sounds you personally like.

Atleast, that's been my experience for the most part. No doubt it's more pleasurable to have higher quality tools ofcourse : )

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 7
@ keanex - they are the 600 ohm variety...see my sig.

@ dan1son - you have a point...I am pretty intimately familiar with these cans from hours and hours of music listening and gaming on them. I will use them on an upcoming session in a NYC studio and let you know how it works out.

Also, I have this program on order from Focusrite called VRM in a Box that simulates over many different playback systems including nearfield monitors, car stereos, clock radios, etc in different listening environments like a control room of a studio, a living room, a luxury car, a basement, etc etc. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 7
I would've hoped a few more folks could've chimed in on this topic...

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 7
I have the Focusrite saffire 24 dsp with the vrm function, foucusrite says that this tool is great for checking the mix in different enviorments without leaving your chair and this vrm function does exactly that really good.

But too mix and master with the headphones only can be done with the vrm function but i would recommend some Nearfield monitors too do the mixing mastering prosses.
But at night when you cant disturb any around you then this function(vrm) is priceless.
Just my 2 cents hope it makes some sense:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back