Can I amp the Audio Technica M50 to be as bassy as beats pro?
Jul 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #77 of 110
Quote:
I have heard e6 is more of a volume booster than an amp, is that true?

What do you think an amplifier is? lol. From Wikipedia, so you know it's true....
wink.gif

Headphone amplifiers as referred to here are commercially available separate devices, sold to a niche audiophile market. These devices allow for higher possible volumes and superior current capacity compared to smaller, cheaper amplifiers that are used in most audio players. 

Effectively, a headphone amplifier is a small power amplifier that can be connected to a standard headphone jack or the line output of an audio source. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #82 of 110
Quote:
Well I have heard people say it doesn't improve the sq and just boosts the volume...

An amp amplifies what is fed into it. It sounds like you're looking for what a DAC can bring to the table, instead of simply an amp.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #83 of 110
Quote:
The real question is why not? As long as it isn't muddy or boomy, I think that quantity of bass isn't bad for genres in which bass has a large presence (rap, dubstep etc.)

The M50's bass is quite loose imo. I don't mind the bass being slightly emphasized in headphones, considering bass in real life penetrates other cavity areas of our body, rather than just the ear. But the M50's bass is already over-emphasized, and the Beats, even more so. Closed headphones should already - by design - offer a good amount of bass. If you're getting moved by the music solely by the bass, you're either listening to crap or just have a really limited musical experience. Not trying to sound like an ass, but it's true. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #85 of 110
They all offer a boost in volume. but a good amplifier will have more power available, offering a more controlled sound. Amps with little improvement may be called volume boosters I suppose. 

There are a lot of factors that go into an amp improving your sound quality, and some of it has a lot to do with the headphones that they are driving.

I cannot much comment on the e6 in particular, but my XM4 has improved the sound of every headphone I have listened to it with, all the way from IEMs to my DT770s. However, the DT770s showed the most improvement in my opinion. They are quite power hungry, and the added control in the bass really improves the SQ. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #86 of 110
My 2 cents:

Sound signature of every headphone is different. There is no way one can make one headphone another in any specific frequency range. Matching frequencies responses will not make for it...thats only 1 Dimension of the can. Even amped and SQed, the M50 will behave how it does...in its own way...so...

I will definitely go with the Ultrasones(sexy looks are a bonus) / DT770 / Audio Technica ATH-Pro700MK2 / V-Moda M-80 (looks) for your purpose. I really don't think M50s will suit your purpose...but thats just my opinion :)

Have fun :)

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #90 of 110
Ok guys I just got my fiio e6 and after charging it and plugging it in to my phone I can say that it satisfies with the volume boost BUT it does not infact make the SQ better, actually it seems to slightly show just how terrible some of my files sound. Well I can convert my files to 320kpbs until I can buy music from CDs but overall I'm happy with this 33 dollar investment (12 dollar 2 shipping day fee)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back