Can I amp the Audio Technica M50 to be as bassy as beats pro?
Jul 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #46 of 110
I think the best way to get high quality music (Flac, Wav) is to buy (used) CDs and rip them. 
However in most cases 320kbps is sufficient and you can get them for pretty cheap if you look around.

In my case I get lossless when I can to future proof, but when I was looking for a headphone, I didnt want it to be super resolving. 
There arent that many headphones that have that much bass that can also be high resolution.
I think you'll be happy with the M-Audio Q40+ZO2 amp if you find the looks acceptable. Its very neutral in the mids and highs and has extended lows with an amp. Im pretty sure they could surpass the amount of bass on the pros.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #47 of 110
Quote:
I think the best way to get high quality music (Flac, Wav) is to buy (used) CDs and rip them. 

+1

Quote:
However in most cases 320kbps is sufficient and you can get them for pretty cheap if you look around.

Like $0.99 on Amazon right now! (256...still counts.)

Anyway, I know you want a bass-heavy can, and that's cool. Seriously. If I magically acquired $40, I'd go buy some XB500s. It's a really cool sound. But if you already have Beats, and you don't want to sell them (I can see why you wouldn't want to hurt your dad's feelings.), it's going to be a bit redundant IMO to get another pair of headphones that sound like a carbon copy of what you already own.

I'm listening to a pair of Digitech Pro Monitors right now. Do they have boomy, over-the-top bass? Nope. Do they sound better in bass heavy genres than my M50s? Yep. In fact, a lot the *bass* in current electronic music is mids and treble. 1/2 of a Skrillex bass drop is pure treble/mids. Also as someone with primitive understanding of music theory, I can tell you that the sound of your treble and your mids directly effects the sound and tonal quality of your bass

You already have a pair of headphones with awesome bass quantity. A pair of headphones with awesome bass quality might not be the worst idea, just as a try and see. What's the key to awesome bass quality? Awesome mids and awesome treble.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #48 of 110
Quote:

^ This. Nothing more rewarding than searching through a used CD bin and finding treasures. Unless, of course, the music you like listening to has never been released on CD.

I used to own a Sony XB500 and can vouch for its bass quantity. In fact, the reason why I got rid of it was because there was too much (for me, at least). Mids do suffer a bit, but another member here at Head-Fi taught me of a little thing called equalization.
wink.gif
  However, they probably won't reveal much more in your music in comparison to the Beats Pro, though for a fraction of the cost it does a good job at keeping up.The only thing is that the XB series isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, though I've seen a couple people wearing them here.

If and when you transition from bass quantity to overall sound quality, you will need to drop the phone and pick up at LEAST an ipod. The better the headphone, the more it will reveal poor quality sources.

And for the record, Grados are smexy. 
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #49 of 110
Thanks guys, I have found CD albums of most of the modern music that I like to listen to, however is it guaranteed that all of the songs in the cd are FLAC or some other format above mp3?

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #50 of 110
Quote:
Thanks guys, I have found CD albums of most of the modern music that I like to listen to, however is it guaranteed that all of the songs in the cd are FLAC or some other format above mp3?

You're pretty much safe. The bitrate of a CD is 1411kbps, and things usually come from the studio at that bitrate or higher.

Some *ignorant* producers will send out instrumentals as MP3s (I actually read about a few of the instrumental tracks on Akon's Trouble album being sent out as MP3s to the studio.) In this case, the same Pong to Skyrim stuff doesn't work. 

But this is pretty uncommon, so more likely than not, you're safe. Now that the music is detailed and you have awesome headphones, you'll be able hear all of the ways the album was recorded awfully.

Welcome to Head-Fi, Where We Spend Thousands of Dollars Making Music Less Enjoyable! 
wink_face.gif
 (kidding, of course)

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #51 of 110
Yeah CD's are WAV (correct me if I am wrong) UNcompressed files, FLAC and Apple lossless are lossless compresion it will make the file about %40 smaller 50MB to about 30MB, but sound just like the CD. MP3 compresses it way more down, about 10x smaller to about 5MB depending on bitrate but takes away information that the designers thought most people can't hear. Honestly every one has there own opinions but I think 192 is a lot better than 128, and you gain a little from going to 256 but 256, 320 and lossless sound all about the same to me unless I listen very very hard like close my eyes and just listen to music for an hour I can hear stuff thats different. I don't think your into that and if you got all your stuff in 192 or up your source amp and DAC and headphones are going to be way more important than 256 vs 320, but it is Important to start with quality stuff.

So what I am trying to say it that not knowing and having 128bit or less files off ur phone is going to not be very good on high end stuff but don't get caught up in trying to get every thing in FLAC right away, sure you would be good for the future if you got in to more high end stuff BUT you will probably not have enough storage space for all ur music.

1. So where did you obtain your music in the first place? as said before amazon and itunes are 256 if you have CD's set you player to rip in 320mp3 and get as much of your music as you can like that. THEN

2. Get a Sony S-series walkman (great bass boost) preferably 16gb OR an iPod (most people use these due to the line out options but they have a horrable Equalizer) with a Fiio E6 or E11 (2 bass boosts) or like me the E17 (5 bass settings) or a Zo2.

3. last get either the Ultrasone HFI-580's (the pro900's I think would be a little to much), ATH-PRO 700 MKII, Q40's, Beyer DT770 pro 80ohm or Denon D2000's (I have the last 2, Denon are the best)

Last dont feel to bad about ur beats the pros are actually not that bad, over priced but they were a gift and there way better than the studios or solos.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #52 of 110
Quote:
Yeah CD's are WAV (correct me if I am wrong)

CD's are Red Book. Red Book, WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF and any other lossless encoders sound exactly the same.

But yeah. Get a nice set of cans. If you want more, get an AMP/DAC and plug it into the computer that you're obviously using. Put all of your stuff in FLAC. Keep posting on Head-Fi. Get upgradeitis. Rinse, repeat. 

You can really go any route here.

But realize that loud bass, from an acoustics perspective, makes it difficult to get good bass.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #53 of 110
Quote:
^ This. Nothing more rewarding than searching through a used CD bin and finding treasures. Unless, of course, the music you like listening to has never been released on CD.

I used to own a Sony XB500 and can vouch for its bass quantity. In fact, the reason why I got rid of it was because there was too much (for me, at least). Mids do suffer a bit, but another member here at Head-Fi taught me of a little thing called equalization.
wink.gif
  However, they probably won't reveal much more in your music in comparison to the Beats Pro, though for a fraction of the cost it does a good job at keeping up.The only thing is that the XB series isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, though I've seen a couple people wearing them here.

If and when you transition from bass quantity to overall sound quality, you will need to drop the phone and pick up at LEAST an ipod. The better the headphone, the more it will reveal poor quality sources.

And for the record, Grados are smexy. 
wink.gif

Grados are smexy, but certainly don't have the bass that I feel the OP is looking for.

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #55 of 110
Quote:
even when your music quality is lossless, theres a lot of differences in quality. CD quality= 16bit, 44.1kHz lossless.

Sure, there's 24bit and 32bit lossless, but given the rarity of mediums above these specifications (HDCDs basically don't exist), the rarity of producers who actually produce music to these specifications, the rarity of affordable DAC/Amps that can process 24bit+ (Presonus Audiobox FTW!), the rarity of affordable headphones that make a 24-bit master evident, and the rarity of people who can tell a difference in A/B testing, this is really just a technicality.

Lossless audio sounds good. 320kbps lossy sounds good. 256kbps sounds good enough for me, and I'm pretty picky.

For 98% of the music out there, a CD is the highest quality you're going to get. For the other two percent, you won't be able to tell a difference between the super high quality recordings and the CD...and potentially the 320kbps MP3. And any sort of amp/DAC you get in your budget range, (Save for the PreSonus Audiobox USB! Let's plug it some more!) is just going to play these at 16bit, 44.1 kHz lossless.  

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #57 of 110
Quote:
Yeah CD's are WAV (correct me if I am wrong) UNcompressed files, FLAC and Apple lossless are lossless compresion it will make the file about %40 smaller 50MB to about 30MB, but sound just like the CD. MP3 compresses it way more down, about 10x smaller to about 5MB depending on bitrate but takes away information that the designers thought most people can't hear. Honestly every one has there own opinions but I think 192 is a lot better than 128, and you gain a little from going to 256 but 256, 320 and lossless sound all about the same to me unless I listen very very hard like close my eyes and just listen to music for an hour I can hear stuff thats different. I don't think your into that and if you got all your stuff in 192 or up your source amp and DAC and headphones are going to be way more important than 256 vs 320, but it is Important to start with quality stuff.

So what I am trying to say it that not knowing and having 128bit or less files off ur phone is going to not be very good on high end stuff but don't get caught up in trying to get every thing in FLAC right away, sure you would be good for the future if you got in to more high end stuff BUT you will probably not have enough storage space for all ur music.

1. So where did you obtain your music in the first place? as said before amazon and itunes are 256 if you have CD's set you player to rip in 320mp3 and get as much of your music as you can like that. THEN

2. Get a Sony S-series walkman (great bass boost) preferably 16gb OR an iPod (most people use these due to the line out options but they have a horrable Equalizer) with a Fiio E6 or E11 (2 bass boosts) or like me the E17 (5 bass settings) or a Zo2.

3. last get either the Ultrasone HFI-580's (the pro900's I think would be a little to much), ATH-PRO 700 MKII, Q40's, Beyer DT770 pro 80ohm or Denon D2000's (I have the last 2, Denon are the best)

Last dont feel to bad about ur beats the pros are actually not that bad, over priced but they were a gift and there way better than the studios or solos.

I get my music from amazon.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #58 of 110
Adding an amp to ATH-M50 for sure will improve the bass. Unfortunately it will not help you to create a similar kind of bass like in BeatPro. The unique bass in BeatsPro has been tuned.Sadly there are not many people appreciate the unique bass in BeatsPro when comparing to its price.Hopefully one,day Monster can reduce the price of BeatsPro to make it more competitive.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #59 of 110
Quote:
Adding an amp to ATH-M50 for sure will improve the bass. Unfortunately it will not help you to create a similar kind of bass like in BeatPro. The unique bass in BeatsPro has been tuned.Sadly there are not many people appreciate the unique bass in BeatsPro when comparing to its price.Hopefully one,day Monster can reduce the price of BeatsPro to make it more competitive.

Beats by Dr. Dre are no longer with Monster so maybe they might slash the Price ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back