Campfire - Solaris
Feb 2, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #11,672 of 12,035
The CA Solaris Shrink Ray Edition was just released with 80 sellable units in this run:

https://www.headamp.com/products/campfire-solaris-shrink-ray

So it looks to be just a gold-plated Solaris 2020, but I am sure that there is much more going inside than what is on the outside.
I don't think there is anything special going on inside or they'd have mentioned it.
Unless someone who owns one chimes in that also has experience with the other models, that's all it is.
The weaker smaller shell and drivers from the 2020's dressed up to look like Solaris when it ruled.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #11,673 of 12,035
I don't think there is anything special going on inside or they'd have mentioned it.
Unless someone who owns one chimes in that also has experience with the other models, that's all it is.
The weaker smaller shell and drivers from the 2020's dressed up to look like Solaris when it ruled.

C1FF3CC6-991C-4A50-B217-7EBEFC169E85.png

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #11,675 of 12,035
@mattbass posting in the Dorado thread is the first person I've encountered who's heard the Shrink Ray the one thing he remembered about was that it was bright...which leads me to think it's got more in common with the 2020 than either the OG or SE Solari.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #11,676 of 12,035
@mattbass posting in the Dorado thread is the first person I've encountered who's heard the Shrink Ray the one thing he remembered about was that it was bright...which leads me to think it's got more in common with the 2020 than either the OG or SE Solari.
Nice, you found a person with one. I know calls to please comment were made, but seemed like no one on Head-fi bought one, or those that did aren't chiming in.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #11,678 of 12,035
So I noticed that many people like to compare the CA Solaris series with the Sony IER-Z1R and they many say that they prefer the IER-Z1R sound. However, they also say that the fit sucks and many even report of the IER-Z1R MMCX sockets and housings breaking, leaving those without warranty to either find a way to DIY fix them or sell/store them as broken. As much as I have enjoyed Sony products for decades, their planned obsolescence timelines seem to get shorter and shorter. I don't know if it is the changing manufacturing processes or complications with creativity. All I know is that I do appreciate how Campfire Audio has at least made attempts to improve the quality of their products over time. However, sound quality is another subjective assumption. :wink:

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #11,679 of 12,035

Wouldn't put too much stock in my super brief impressions. Listened for two minutes at a shop, and I've never heard the OG or SE. All I really noticed was that Shrink Ray sounded good overall, but with a brighter treble than the Andromeda 2020, which I also heard briefly. Listened to Solaris 2020 a couple weeks later, and it sounded roughly the same as SR from what I remembered. Bought the Dorado 2020 instead and love 'em.

btw Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto has a Solaris 2020 demo unit for sale. Good discount.

And here's a terrible pic of Shrink Ray:

IMG_4063.jpg

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #11,680 of 12,035
Wouldn't put too much stock in my super brief impressions. Listened for two minutes at a shop,

Still the only Shrink-ray impressions I know of in the wild so better than nothing. Speculation has to start somewhere lmao.

Glad you're enjoying the Dorado 2020. It's my favorite Campfire.

Feb 3, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #11,682 of 12,035
Just got a 2020 version and have been listening to them a lot. They tought me about 3D holigraphic sound. I think it was the DD that really gave the overall sound the massive soundstage. I also have the 2020 andros. Listening to them now is breathtaking to say the least. The andros are so transparent with hyper realistic accuracy, sepeation and stage. The solaris has a bigger stage because of the DD but that aslo affects the tuning. The andros are clear and vibrant, whereas the solaris is tarnished and opaque....alone the solaris 2020 is a great tool to listen and learn with. A great IEM.

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #11,683 of 12,035
Solaris 2020 but with more treble and the naff gold bling of the OG? My wallet loves it.
If it was the sound of OG in the 2020 shell, it would be top. I think many would buy them. However, the OG is large enough for many people. In addition, there is a cool case)

Feb 27, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #11,684 of 12,035
Has anyone heard of anything new down the pipe from CFA? An updated Solaris perhaps? Their lineup seems incomplete without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back