Campfire - Solaris
Jan 18, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #11,641 of 12,035
From the beginning of 2022 i'm trying every day solaris 2020 against vega 2020 so much so that my main system is off. I love solaris but many of times i prefere vega. Seems to me more natural. I'm crazy or deaf????

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #11,642 of 12,035
From the beginning of 2022 i'm trying every day solaris 2020 against vega 2020 so much so that my main system is off. I love solaris but many of times i prefere vega. Seems to me more natural. I'm crazy or deaf????
I can weigh in on 2016 Vega vs 2019 OG Solaris (bear in mind, I hear the Vega 2016 is very similar to the 2020, if a little better as it was the flagship back then).

The OG Solaris is better, in the mid range it is staggeringly obvious. Guitars, voices, are miiiiles better on my solaris then my vega. The Solaris sounds like its worth double the price tbh, it creates larger images, much wider soundstage. The Vega sounds feeble in comparison. It's almost hilarious how barely resolved and simple something like a guitar in the mid range sounds on Vega, then how thick, detailed and huge it sounds on Solaris.

But where the Vega can pick up some ground is on a fast, bass heavy track, where it provides a kick nothing can compete with. But even here the Solaris isnt far behind, and it is so blatantly superior in other departments that its a no brainer to me. I sold my Vega, which prior to Solaris were my daily driver, for these reasons. And I listen to a lot of EDM, the so called Vega strong point.

I'd think it very odd if the 2020 Solaris isnt similarly ahead of the new, cheaper vega.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #11,643 of 12,035
I can weigh in on 2016 Vega vs 2019 OG Solaris (bear in mind, I hear the Vega 2016 is very similar to the 2020, if a little better as it was the flagship back then).

The OG Solaris is better, in the mid range it is staggeringly obvious. Guitars, voices, are miiiiles better on my solaris then my vega. The Solaris sounds like its worth double the price tbh, it creates larger images, much wider soundstage. The Vega sounds feeble in comparison.

But where the Vega can pick up some ground is on a fast, bass heavy track, where it provides a kick nothing can compete with. But even here the Solaris isnt far behind, and it is so blatantly superior in other departments that its a no brainer to me.

I'd think it very odd if the 2020 Solaris isnt similarly ahead of the new, cheaper vega.
The original Vega is nothing like the 2020 version, very different tunings. The only similarity is the accentuated bass, 2020 is less energetic and more laid back, thicker. The OG in comparison is more energetic and has a treble spike that makes it sound more unnatural but slightly airier.

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #11,644 of 12,035
The original Vega is nothing like the 2020 version, very different tunings. The only similarity is the accentuated bass, 2020 is less energetic and more laid back, thicker. The OG in comparison is more energetic and has a treble spike that makes it sound more unnatural but slightly airier.
My impression is solaris in the beginning is fantastic. After mid-high to high seems artificial. When listen vega 2020 is less brilliant but more cohesive and natural

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #11,645 of 12,035
My impression is solaris in the beginning is fantastic. After mid-high to high seems artificial. When listen vega 2020 is less brilliant but more cohesive and natural
Yeah these characteristics are associated with a lot of multi driver and hybrid driver IEM’s. It’s an inherent advantage of single driver IEM’s to sound more coherent and natural (generally) than their multi driver counterparts. Vega 2020’s tuning also plays to these strengths by having a thick and romanticised signature which highlights its coherency. Although not the most technical, single driver IEM’s do have their charms. It may just be that you are particularly sensitive to picking up on this incoherency as I never had any particular qualms with the Solaris OG/SE on that front.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #11,646 of 12,035
I didn't have any coherency problems initially, but as I started listening to various single driver's, now I have it.

Sometimes it can get better the longer you listen. Your brain will fill in the gaps again as it did previously. But there is an adjustment period now, and whether or not a coherent sound comes back to you or not is my new measuring stick.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #11,647 of 12,035
Really? Different tunings maybe, I'd expect technical performance to be similar though. Strange of CFA audio to release a new model with the exact same name and a very similar housing that sounds totally different....I mean, every other iteration they do like that usually bears some serious similarity to the original.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #11,648 of 12,035
Really? Different tunings maybe, I'd expect technical performance to be similar though. Strange of CFA audio to release a new model with the exact same name and a very similar housing that sounds totally different....I mean, every other iteration they do like that usually bears some serious similarity to the original.

https://headfonics.com/campfire-audio-vega-2020/

171AB3D6-4656-4476-9BCB-113BC22D8186.png

I’d say the 2020’s driver is technically more capable but the original has some inherent advantages due to the ‘cleaner’, more energetic signature.

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #11,649 of 12,035
Yeah these characteristics are associated with a lot of multi driver and hybrid driver IEM’s. It’s an inherent advantage of single driver IEM’s to sound more coherent and natural (generally) than their multi driver counterparts. Vega 2020’s tuning also plays to these strengths by having a thick and romanticised signature which highlights its coherency. Although not the most technical, single driver IEM’s do have their charms. It may just be that you are particularly sensitive to picking up on this incoherency as I never had any particular qualms with the Solaris OG/SE on that front.
Well...you comforted me

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #11,650 of 12,035
No hybrids out there are free of coherency issues...but the Solaris is one of the best in that regard imho

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #11,652 of 12,035
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #11,654 of 12,035
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #11,655 of 12,035

Dorado is basically an upgraded Atlas. Here is my review if you're interested. That said if you want to go straight to the summit for this type of sound what you want is the Vision Ears EXT.

The best bass I've heard was from the Z1R with Atlas a close second.

Dorado is basically an upgraded Atlas. Here is my review if you're interested. That said if you want to go straight to the summit for this type of sound what you want is the Vision Ears EXT.
Do you prefer the Dorado on balance? I already have top of the line stuff. I'm just looking for something like the Atlas, and the Dorado seems to be that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back