Campfire - Solaris
Jan 16, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #11,626 of 12,035
CFA has been so erratic lately with their offerings, who knows... They seem to be just throwing sound idea's against the wall to see what stick to the sub $500 market. The special release cycle they had was Iike watching an "in memorandum" film role at the Oscar's.

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #11,627 of 12,035
Like a hobby paint? Gloss?
Don't know if you have a hobby shop/hardware store nearby, but I'd probably just pick up some Testors Enamel Paint in Black Gloss to match the finish on the Solaris 2020. Mine seems to be holding up well, but that's what I'd go with. It shouldn't cost more than a few dollars for a small bottle.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #11,628 of 12,035
From the website it seems they'll be making more available...whether it will be a higher end product is hard to say. Based on reports it seems to be a rather niche IEM though so I'm not sure if it's the best candidate for a flagship...who knows. I'm excited to see what they are cooking up either way.
Still holding out hope for a custom Solaris.

I'm wondering how their new lineup is fairing. The Saber doesn't seem to doing too well, although it seems many people prefer the new shell shape/design that was introduced with the Satsuma & Honeydew. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing an update to their ADLC driver, this new DD doesn't seem to be rattling anyone's cages.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #11,629 of 12,035
CFA has been so erratic lately with their offerings, who knows... They seem to be just throwing sound idea's against the wall to see what stick to the sub $500 market. The special release cycle they had was Iike watching an "in memorandum" film role at the Oscar's.
Indeed, I think its because they have pretty much the most popular iems in the 1000-1500 range and have for some time. The Andromeda is a slam dunk.

They probably want similar at a lower price. I believe they'll crack it soon tbh, only a matter of time with trickle down

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #11,630 of 12,035
Despite all the eye-rolling it will induce from the peanut gallery is anyone here hoping that CFA's next flagship is another Solaris-- perhaps more tweaked & refined from the 2020? I sure am. Solaris was my first love and despite everything I've been through since and have in my possession now I'd love to have another Solaris in my life...and I have eminent faith in CFA's capacity to refine & improve their products.
Yes, despite my self-imposed exile from the IEM sphere, the (OG) Solaris remains my favorite IEM of all time. It's been about 2 years since I've dipped my toes into the vast and deep ocean of IEMs, but if I were to plunge headfirst (again), the Solaris 2020, or its successor, would be one of the first options I'd try.

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #11,631 of 12,035
CFA has been so erratic lately with their offerings, who knows... They seem to be just throwing sound idea's against the wall to see what stick to the sub $500 market.

To be fair they've really always been like that with their lower tier offerings. What they need is a new upper tier model or two. I'd be all over a revised Solaris-- 2020 shell with OG treble & SE bass & mids. Magnifique.

Yes, despite my self-imposed exile from the IEM sphere, the (OG) Solaris remains my favorite IEM of all time. It's been about 2 years since I've dipped my toes into the vast and deep ocean of IEMs, but if I were to plunge headfirst (again), the Solaris 2020, or its successor, would be one of the first options I'd try.

Yup Solaris is a special IEM and and at this juncture I think it's safe to say it belongs in the "pantheon" of great IEMs and one that most certainly should remain a fixure in CFA's lineup.

Still holding out hope for a custom Solaris.

My understanding at the time was that the 2020 with its single boot & smaller shell was supposed to be a step in that direction.

I'm wondering how their new lineup is fairing. The Saber doesn't seem to doing too well, although it seems many people prefer the new shell shape/design that was introduced with the Satsuma & Honeydew. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing an update to their ADLC driver, this new DD doesn't seem to be rattling anyone's cages.

I can't comment on their lower tier DDs as I've only heard the Honeydew-- personally I don't think there's anything wrong with their flaship ADLC driver that's in the Dorado & Solaris-- it puts out some of my favorite bass ever. From CFA, assuming they don't get into e-stats, I'd love to see a refined Solaris as specified above or one of their ADLC drivers in a ceramic shell with a neutral tuning.

Indeed, I think its because they have pretty much the most popular iems in the 1000-1500 range and have for some time. The Andromeda is a slam dunk.

2 years ago I would have agreed but right now the $800 - $1.5K segment is arguably the most competitive in the whole hobby-- Zen Pro, Monarch II, IE900, Duo and many others all give CFA's lineup a real run for its money.

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #11,632 of 12,035
2 years ago I would have agreed but right now the $800 - $1.5K segment is arguably the most competitive in the whole hobby-- Zen Pro, Monarch II, IE900, Duo and many others all give CFA's lineup a real run for its money.
Indeed but i think CFA is probably the most popular maker in that range, if that makes sense? Could be wrong.

That said I did spend some time with the IE900 and theyre not near the solaris imo lol

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #11,633 of 12,035
Just got the Ier-z1r, comparing it to my Solaris 2020.

Two very different styles, the z1r has a thick, warm sound and has a good longitudinal soundstage. The bass is very strong, and the sub-bass is equally powerful. The treble is also good, no sibilance, good extension, but there is a significant gap compared to the bass. In fact I think this is both its strength and its weakness. The overpowering bass enhances the overall ambience, but also obscures the performance of the midrange and treble, leaving them with a noticeable drop-off compared to the bass. Overall it's an interesting iem.

The Solaris 2020 is bright and thin in overall style, with a more balanced performance compared to the z1r. The Solaris bass is not as powerful and substantial as the z1r, but its natural and realistic performance fits quite well with the midrange and bass. The soundstage is also smaller compared to the z1r, but once again, its a natural and harmonious match to the overall sound.

That being said, I still prefer to use Solaris. I prefer the bright and natural feel. That natural feel is not even found on some of the more expensive iem's (like 64 audio U18s), which is why I love Solaris so much. It doesn't necessarily compete with other IEMs in certain metric, but when all the elements blend together it is so natural and balanced. The z1r can be an antidote when I suffer the consequences of hedonic adaptation, but Solaris is my one true love for sure.

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #11,634 of 12,035
Just got the Ier-z1r, comparing it to my Solaris 2020.

Two very different styles, the z1r has a thick, warm sound and has a good longitudinal soundstage. The bass is very strong, and the sub-bass is equally powerful. The treble is also good, no sibilance, good extension, but there is a significant gap compared to the bass. In fact I think this is both its strength and its weakness. The overpowering bass enhances the overall ambience, but also obscures the performance of the midrange and treble, leaving them with a noticeable drop-off compared to the bass. Overall it's an interesting iem.

The Solaris 2020 is bright and thin in overall style, with a more balanced performance compared to the z1r. The Solaris bass is not as powerful and substantial as the z1r, but its natural and realistic performance fits quite well with the midrange and bass. The soundstage is also smaller compared to the z1r, but once again, its a natural and harmonious match to the overall sound.

That being said, I still prefer to use Solaris. I prefer the bright and natural feel. That natural feel is not even found on some of the more expensive iem's (like 64 audio U18s), which is why I love Solaris so much. It doesn't necessarily compete with other IEMs in certain metric, but when all the elements blend together it is so natural and balanced. The z1r can be an antidote when I suffer the consequences of hedonic adaptation, but Solaris is my one true love for sure.
I agree, Solaris timbre is so good.

I auditioned Anole VX twice while getting the Solaris (deciding). Both for the same price. The VX was technically great, but something about the natural, lusher sound of the Solaris spoke more to me, even though the VX is a pricier IEM, I much preferred these gold beauties.

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #11,636 of 12,035
I've owned 4 sets of Solaris in the past and I'm now regretting selling my last unit (Solaris SE). Considering picking up the Flower Edition. Has anyone done any direct comparisons with either OG, SE or 2020 Solaris?

Really hoping Campfire release an updated Solaris in 2022.
Looks like a problematic relationship… you can’t be together, but you can’t be apart. :p

I really like my OG, the nozzle angle, thickness was a problem though.

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #11,637 of 12,035
Looks like a problematic relationship… you can’t be together, but you can’t be apart. :p

I really like my OG, the nozzle angle, thickness was a problem though.
Haha! The main issue for me was finding an adequate DAP with a silent noise floor. But hearing how amazing Shanling M9 is with Andromeda 2020, I now want to test it with Solaris :wink:

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #11,638 of 12,035
Haha! The main issue for me was finding an adequate DAP with a silent noise floor. But hearing how amazing Shanling M9 is with Andromeda 2020, I now want to test it with Solaris :wink:
Hahaha want to try this infamous M9 now. :)

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #11,640 of 12,035
Hey Solaris thread!
Just want to throw out there that I just got my SE's serviced and they had to replace my abalone inlays to fix the MMCX connectors. For anyone that may have been putting off any servicing, you may wanna send em in before they run run out of parts(for SE anyways) Can't wait to get mine back.

Also CFA customer service was excellent. My first time interacting with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back