Campfire - Solaris
Jan 18, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #11,656 of 12,035
Why? I've heard great things from a lot of people but Crinacle gave it a bad rating. I loved the Atlas, so if it sounds anything like the atlas, I know I'll like it.
Even Crinacle himself said not to trust his ranking, everyone's listening preferences are different. He gave Solaris a not-so-high ranking and gave z1r an S. But for me, Solaris is much better than z1r. The best way to know if that iem is right for you is to try it out. Any reviews and rankings can only be a reference.

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #11,657 of 12,035
The best bass I've heard was from the Z1R with Atlas a close second.

Totally different kind of bass. Z1R is sub-bass focused with bass defined by an impeccable balance of fluidity, depth and power. Atlas, and Dorado by extension is more mid-bass focused with bass that is tauter, more present and with more muscularity and authority. Like Peking Duck and Russian Caviar they are different and each excellent in their own way. The bass in the Dorado is a big step up from that in the Atlas imho largely due to the acoustic properties of the ceramic.

Do you prefer the Dorado on balance? I already have top of the line stuff. I'm just looking for something like the Atlas, and the Dorado seems to be that.

If you're looking for a fun, ballsy, bombastic & deceptively technical sound and don't mind some dips in the upper mids then the Dorado 2020 is a great choice. Yes I love it on balanced-- DDs tend to scale very well with power and the Dorado through the Shanling M8 on turbo gain is magnificent.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #11,658 of 12,035
The Solaris has coherency issues when used in the standard 3.5. However, if you listen to it on balance it has great coherency. Anyone here tried Dorado 2020?
I use with 4.4

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #11,659 of 12,035
The Solaris has coherency issues when used in the standard 3.5. However, if you listen to it on balance it has great coherency. Anyone here tried Dorado 2020?

This statement shows a lack of understanding of basic electronics. The drivers don't know or care if there's a common ground or not. It is meaningless to make a blanket statement of single-ended vs balanced for any IEM / headphone.

The purpose of a balanced connection is to allow you to connect to a balanced amplifier. That is where the advantage usually is. But a 3.5mm connection from one amp may be orders of magnitude better than 4.4mm from another.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #11,660 of 12,035
Even Crinacle himself said not to trust his ranking, everyone's listening preferences are different. He gave Solaris a not-so-high ranking and gave z1r an S. But for me, Solaris is much better than z1r. The best way to know if that iem is

This statement shows a lack of understanding of basic electronics. The drivers don't know or care if there's a common ground or not. It is meaningless to make a blanket statement of single-ended vs balanced for any IEM / headphone.

The purpose of a balanced connection is to allow you to connect to a balanced amplifier. That is where the advantage usually is. But a 3.5mm connection from one amp may be orders of magnitude better than 4.4mm from another.

I know what i heard. I noticed this particularly on 3.5 mm. I noticed the DD driver seemed to be fall behind the ba drivers. I noticed this much less on a balanced connection.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #11,661 of 12,035
Even Crinacle himself said not to trust his ranking, everyone's listening preferences are different. He gave Solaris a not-so-high ranking and gave z1r an S. But for me, Solaris is much better than z1r. The best way to know if that iem is right for you is to try it out. Any reviews and rankings can only be a reference.
Which is respectable. I just personally think the Z1R is a step above the Solaris. Unfortunately, those rankings tend to influence people's perceptions of certain products. I tried both for a long period of time, and I personally just prefer the Z1R.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #11,662 of 12,035
I know what i heard. I noticed this particularly on 3.5 mm. I noticed the DD driver seemed to be fall behind the ba drivers. I noticed this much less on a balanced connection.

I believe you. But this is due to the difference between single ended and balanced on your amplifier. Likely due to the difference in available power between the two. It might have been more accurate to say coherency improves with more power.

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #11,664 of 12,035
I see the Solaris 2020 is completely removed from CFA's website-- I'm really hoping for an announcement of something new from them soon...ideally an updated Solaris. It's one of the truly great IEMs of the last 5 years and I hope its legacy is not over.

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #11,665 of 12,035
I see the Solaris 2020 is completely removed from CFA's website-- I'm really hoping for an announcement of something new from them soon...ideally an updated Solaris. It's one of the truly great IEMs of the last 5 years and I hope its legacy is not over.
It's still on the website when you choose Universal Fit but is showing sold out, https://campfireaudio.com/shop/solaris-2020/

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #11,666 of 12,035
Jan 26, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #11,667 of 12,035
Has anyone tried the Effect Audio EVO 1 and 10 cables with the Solaris?

I considering one of these or the PW Audio Loki (maybe the "+" version). Is there a big difference between the 8 and 4 wires?

Thanks for your help :)

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #11,668 of 12,035
Shameless plug: selling my beloved Solaris SE in the classifieds.

After having the chance to test all 4 variants at the same time (OG, SE, 2020, LE), they clearly came out on top for me. Both from a technical standpoint (those mids...) and because they suited my preferred sound profile better.
The 2020 were a regression in most aspects except comfort to me. The LE was virtually identical to OG.

Jan 27, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #11,669 of 12,035
Shameless plug: selling my beloved Solaris SE in the classifieds.

After having the chance to test all 4 variants at the same time (OG, SE, 2020, LE), they clearly came out on top for me. Both from a technical standpoint (those mids...) and because they suited my preferred sound profile better.
The 2020 were a regression in most aspects except comfort to me. The LE was virtually identical to OG.
Please can you explain why 2020 is a regression? Thank you

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #11,670 of 12,035
hmm.. quite a short lifetime... anyway just reporting, found a very good Price to performance Dongle for Solaris Classic,
A dongle from VE, Abigail, No hiss at all, no compensation for intimate soundstage also...
20220131_112807.jpg
Hehehe... I think Alo also have something similar like this... but haven't try it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back