Campfire - Solaris
Mar 7, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #11,701 of 12,035
I find music styles have quite a bit of importance between the MEST and Solaris, when comparing. The MKii took me a week (100 hrs burn in+ 20-30 hrs listening) to get the sound to calm down and the highs to settle. My OG Solaris is still better at all rock and metal and older recordings (I guess you could just say "guitars"), MEST is more enjoyable with modern stuff. Jazz right now is an even toss up. I am REALLY liking hip hop, soul, and electronic through the MEST. But if I am going to listen to something like the Talking Heads circa 1980, its Solaris all the way. Imaging on both is comparible and I never feel like one is just so superior to the other. It depends on the master. Nice to have choices. :beerchug:
Treble on the Solaris is virtually nonexistent or really veiled imho.

Mar 7, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #11,702 of 12,035
You think that's bad, try Bravado, Dorado, or Roxanne. lol

Depends on where you're coming from and what IEM's you are used to. If you are used to sets with big 4-8k peaks you'll feel Solaris is lacking in treble energy, but that's exactly its strength. Calm the sibilant peaks for a more forgiving listen on bad masters, etc.
I assume you are talking OG Solaris? The others have different treble tunings.

Mar 7, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #11,703 of 12,035

Depends on where you're coming from and what IEM's you are used to. If you are used to sets with big 4-8k peaks you'll feel Solaris is lacking in treble energy, but that's exactly its strength. Calm the sibilant peaks for a more forgiving listen on bad masters, etc.
Yeah I hear roxanne is bad. When I tried roxanne a few years ago it was fine. Nah, I have Solaris 2020. No way this can be perceived to have detailed treble. I have multiple iems above and even my audio-technica ath-e70 has superior treble detail compared to the Solaris.

What is weird, the Solaris might be one of the only iem I've tried that can be sibilant at times while lacking treble detail. What...

Don't get me wrong, I like the Solaris, but it's definitely not balanced and lacks treble detail.

Mar 7, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #11,704 of 12,035

However, Solaris is good if you just want to get lost in the music or vocals without being distracted by treble details.

Mar 7, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #11,705 of 12,035
Yeah I hear roxanne is bad. When I tried roxanne a few years ago it was fine. Nah, I have Solaris 2020. No way this can be perceived to have detailed treble. I have multiple iems above and even my audio-technica ath-e70 has superior treble detail compared to the Solaris.

What is weird, the Solaris might be one of the only iem I've tried that can be sibilant at times while lacking treble detail. What...

Don't get me wrong, I like the Solaris, but it's definitely not balanced and lacks treble detail.
The 2020 has a different treble profile than the OG. All my observations are with the OG. But looking at this, your observations track. More upper mids, less treble overall, and some peaks at 7.5-10k to make sure you hear those S's and hate the snare drum. jk. On the OG, treble is smooth, doesn't feel like its lacking, and has that classic Campfire sparkle.
graph.png

Mar 7, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #11,706 of 12,035
The 2020 has a different treble profile than the OG. All my observations are with the OG. But looking at this, your observations track. More upper mids, less treble overall, and some peaks at 7.5-10k to make sure you hear those S's and hate the snare drum. jk. On the OG, treble is smooth, doesn't feel like its lacking, and has that classic Campfire sparkle.
graph.png
Yes I never heard the og. I don't know why the he*l they would do that to the treble for the supposedly improved version.

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #11,707 of 12,035
I thinks that is definitely source dependent. On my Sony Zx507 using silicone tips, I find the treble fine and engaging. With my Shanling M8 I have to use foam tips, otherwise the treble is to bright for my ears. I hear the details in instruments nicely, but definitely need foam tips to get the best sound to my ears.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #11,708 of 12,035
I thinks that is definitely source dependent. On my Sony Zx507 using silicone tips, I find the treble fine and engaging. With my Shanling M8 I have to use foam tips, otherwise the treble is to bright for my ears. I hear the details in instruments nicely, but definitely need foam tips to get the best sound to my ears.
I tried multiple sources. Are you referencing the 2020?

I mentioned that's what's weird about it. It can be sibilant and bright sounding but it still lacks detail in the treble.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #11,709 of 12,035
I tried multiple sources. Are you referencing the 2020?

I mentioned that's what's weird about it. It can be sibilant and bright sounding but it still lacks detail in the treble.
Oh...sorry, I was referencing the OG Gold boys

Mar 17, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #11,710 of 12,035
Has anyone heard any more rumblings or musings about any new CFA offerings? I need some more Campfire in my life. If they don't release an updated Solaris I may well seek out a used OG. It's been too long since I've heard one.

Mar 17, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #11,711 of 12,035
If they have more in stock again at Campfire audio market you can take advantage of the discount codes "HAPPYDAY" (20% off) and CHERRYONTOP (10% off) to get a pretty good deal on their used/B-stock. I got a used "Good" condition OG Solaris for $560 a few weeks back using those codes. I would say it was in almost new condition too. The only noticeable wear was very slightly visible rub marks on the sparkly gold outer shell. I would bet anything listed in "good" condition up to b-stock will be virtually new condition.

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #11,714 of 12,035
It's actually a shame that after having the ier z1r for a while I found myself liking the Solaris(2020) even more.

So, I'm officially considering trading the z1r for a Solaris SE. Anyone who is interested is welcome to pm me.

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #11,715 of 12,035
I've had my Solaris SE for about two months now, and I'm still in awe of how great the mids sound and how beautiful the abalone inlays are. :)

SOLARIS SE.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back