Campfire - Solaris
Jan 5, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #10,786 of 12,035
Jan 5, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #10,788 of 12,035
Ah yes - in stock now anyway, but I will wait for your impressions on the differences between ordering these.
The Instrumental L set are smaller in diameter than the Vocals (14mm to 13mm). They are also quite different sounding, both work well on the Z1R but I haven't tried the Instrumentals yet on the Solaris SE. I'll report back when I do but really loving the Vocals on them atm.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #10,789 of 12,035
The Instrumental L set are smaller in diameter than the Vocals (14mm to 13mm). They are also quite different sounding, both work well on the Z1R but I haven't tried the Instrumentals yet on the Solaris SE. I'll report back when I do but really loving the Vocals on them atm.
i recall instrumental on z1r added a good bit of soundstage

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #10,790 of 12,035
i recall instrumental on z1r added a good bit of soundstage

I haven't spent enough time with them but they definitely seem to make the sound less... 'focused' shall we say, which could convey a more diffused feeling. I personally prefer the Vocals on them because it fits well with the sound I think the Z1R was tuned with in mind.

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #10,791 of 12,035
I haven't spent enough time with them but they definitely seem to make the sound less... 'focused' shall we say, which could convey a more diffused feeling. I personally prefer the Vocals on them because it fits well with the sound I think the Z1R was tuned with in mind.
personal faves with z1r (and everything really) is the spiral dots ++

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #10,792 of 12,035
anyone here owned the z1r and had to have the CA solaris also? same same but different etc? I love the 'enjoy the music' tuning and massive tall soundstage of the z1r! The highs are smooth which is my number one priority for highs ..only if they crack that would I then be keen to have that holographic soundstage depth .... curious to go compare the z1r now here in spain to the solaris at my local store as I remember loving the solaris vs my old sony z5s

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #10,793 of 12,035
anyone here owned the z1r and had to have the CA solaris also? same same but different etc? I love the 'enjoy the music' tuning and massive tall soundstage of the z1r! The highs are smooth which is my number one priority for highs ..only if they crack that would I then be keen to have that holographic soundstage depth .... curious to go compare the z1r now here in spain to the solaris at my local store as I remember loving the solaris vs my old sony z5s

I have-- though I haven't had them both on hand since the summer of 2019, so my impressions are by no means current.

Z1r-- more v-shaped, thicker bass with longer decay and more dd-like texture, speaker-like presentation (sound coming at you), heavier, shorter nozzles, clearer-sparklier highs, more recessed mids, as a rule more upper mid presence (though this can vary depending on what Solaris you have)

Solaris (SE/OG are my reference points)-- less v-shaped, more balanced, more focus on mid-range, soundstage more 3d, holographic and immersive, bass is quicker, with less decay ie., more "BA like", but you get more lower mid-presence on account of that and bass is denser and puncher, less upper mid-presence, lower mid-bass transition is better, better integration between highs and lows

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #10,794 of 12,035
on paper they can be very similar. but once you reach totl range, if you have the option to demo, absolutely do it. totl iems usually are very different experiences.

my opinion is that the two pairs compliment each other really well.

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #10,795 of 12,035
Have the legendary Solaris SE from @Rockwell75 coming in next Monday (hoping earlier, but also not keeping my hopes up.

Glad to have the Solaris back in the house in general! Had a fun time with the AG as well, but I missed my DD bass!

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #10,797 of 12,035
I just sold my Solaris SE, so hopefully my impressions on both are still fresh.

IMO, these two sound really different in almost every way. The bass on Z1R is much more impressive, thicker, has more sub-bass and better texture than Solaris. Mid on Solaris is more forward and has a fuller presentation than Z1R, the male vocal on Z1R is most obviously recessed under comparison. Treble on Z1R could sound hot and sibilant with a bad pair up, I guess it is pretty sensitive and dependent on the sources as Z1R definitely requires way more power to drive. Treble on Solaris SE sounds smooth and beautiful to me no matter what source I use, while some can also find it hot. Solaris soundstage is holographic, Z1R soundstage is wider and more spatial, equalized in depth. Also I could find good sound coherence on Solaris without much effort, while Z1R is picky on sources. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #10,798 of 12,035
I just sold my Solaris SE to fund my purchase of one pair of IER-Z1R, so hopefully my impressions on both are still fresh.

IMO, these two sound really different in almost every way. The bass on Z1R is much more impressive, thicker, has more sub-bass and better texture than Solaris. Mid on Solaris is more forward and has a fuller presentation than Z1R, the male vocal on Z1R is most obviously recessed under comparison. Treble on Z1R could sound hot and sibilant with a bad pair up, I guess it is pretty sensitive and dependent on the sources as Z1R definitely requires way more power to drive. Treble on Solaris SE sounds smooth and beautiful to me no matter what source I use, while some can also find it hot. Solaris soundstage is holographic, Z1R soundstage is wider and more spatial, equalized in depth. Also I could find good sound coherence on Solaris without much effort, while Z1R is picky on sources. Just my 2 cents.
What source are you using it with? This matches up with my impressions via the SR25 with the Z1R (not a great pairing IMO).

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #10,799 of 12,035
What source are you using it with? This matches up with my impressions via the SR25 with the Z1R (not a great pairing IMO).
I am using SP2000 with the Z1R, and the treble is unpleasant like I described above. When I switched to PHA-3, Z1R sounds much better controlled.
Also the foam tips or the triple comfort tips come along with the IEM could help tame down the treble.

Jan 8, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #10,800 of 12,035
I am using SP2000 with the Z1R, and the treble is unpleasant like I described above. When I switched to PHA-3, Z1R sounds much better controlled.
Also the foam tips or the triple comfort tips come along with the IEM could help tame down the treble.
That's surprising, my Z1R sounded great out of the SE200 from the AKM (balanced connection). No signs of sibilance to my ears. But saying that, I did notice some when I switched to a majority silver cable. Are you using the stock cable? Not to hijack the Solaris thread here which is a great IEM in its own right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back