Campfire - Solaris
Jan 10, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #10,816 of 12,035
I also went from Solaris 2020 -> Nio and I'm not sure I'm happy with it. It is definitely missing that Campfire magic - namely, that incredible extended treble and staging that gives the Solaris its ethereal quality.

In comparison, the Nio is a more relaxing listen with greater sub-bass. But it's missing that engagement factor. It's a very 'safe' tuning in comparison to the 2020 (then again - what isn't safe compared to the 2020?).

If the Solaris 2020 is a ZMF Verite Closed, the Nio is a ZMF Aeolus.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #10,817 of 12,035
I also went from Solaris 2020 -> Nio and I'm not sure I'm happy with it. It is definitely missing that Campfire magic - namely, that incredible extended treble and staging that gives the Solaris its ethereal quality.

Is the Solaris actually like a ZMF Verite closed? :xf_eek:
Been looking for an IEM like the ZMF Verite Closed?

Jan 10, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #10,818 of 12,035

In comparison, the Nio is a more relaxing listen with greater sub-bass. But it's missing that engagement factor. It's a very 'safe' tuning in comparison to the 2020 (then again - what isn't safe compared to the 2020?).

Had both the Solaris 2020 & Nio at the same as well and I think going from one to the other is quite the contrast. Nio is a lot more of a smooth & mellow sound.

Jan 10, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #10,819 of 12,035
Is the Solaris actually like a ZMF Verite closed? :xf_eek:
Been looking for an IEM like the ZMF Verite Closed?

In my opinion, it is. In my review of the VC, I describe it as an incredibly engaging headphone with an unconventional W-shaped signature. The VC and Solaris 2020 have similar intensely engaging highs and similar extension in the sub-bass (not too little, not too much). Both have accentuated mids, with the mids on Solaris 2020 being thicker (but not occasionally suffocating like the Nio). Soundstage on both is incredible for what they are - the VC somehow manages to sound open, and the Solaris 2020 has fantastic soundstage width, second only to the Andromeda OG. Positioning on the VC and Solaris 2020 are both best-in-class.

Both the VC and Solaris 2020 have TOTL technicalities - in particular, I found the detail retrieval of the VC exceeded even my HD800S. For the 2020, I'd put detail slightly ahead of the Andromeda OG, and slightly behind the MEST. That said, the MEST is effectively missing mids in comparison to the Nio and Solaris 2020, and the Andromeda OG is not as engaging or focused as the Solaris 2020 (but it still has that ethereal spacioiusness and sparkle that nothing else has yet managed to match).

Though he was reviewing a Solaris SE against an Andromeda MW10, I believe @Rockwell75's description best describes the differences between the Solaris 2020 and Andromeda OG:

The more I listen to both the more I feel they were each ideally named. Andromeda is a galaxy which conjures images of spaciousness and unity, whereas Solaris derives its name from the sun, a massive centre of gravity which cannot fail to grab your attention.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #10,820 of 12,035

I would say the nio certainly has its own magic, it's just as you say a more relaxing listen and definitely prioritizes different things than the solaris. I had them both and just feel the opposite. I felt the nio had more of an engagement factor to me. Much happier with the nio. Just a better fit to my personal preferences.

Jan 10, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #10,821 of 12,035

I would say the nio certainly has its own magic, it's just as you say a more relaxing listen and definitely prioritizes different things than the solaris. I had them both and just feel the opposite. I felt the nio had more of an engagement factor to me. Much happier with the nio. Just a better fit to my personal preferences.
I had the Solaris OG and now have the Nio.

It's been a long time since I sold the Solaris (because of fitment issues), but from what I recall, the imaging/soundstage were holographic and super engaging. I have yet to find an equal to the magic of the OG imaging, and, barring fitment, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

The Nio is also a ton of fun, but very different. With the apex modules, it can be a bass monster as well as relatively balanced. Because of the bass, I find it super engaging but never fatiguing. That being said, it falls short of the OG imaging (even with the MX module).

Now if I could find an IEM with the holographic staging/imaging of the OG and the bass of the Nio (plus the benefit of the apex), well that would be my unicorn!

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #10,822 of 12,035
Now if I could find an IEM with the holographic staging/imaging of the OG and the bass of the Nio (plus the benefit of the apex), well that would be my unicorn!

Cough cough MEST cough cough

I still prefer Solaris on the whole for different reasons but if the above is your absolute priority then MEST is imho worth a close look.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #10,823 of 12,035
I currently own and use Solaris 2020, CA Nio, as well as UM Mest. And can pretty much agree with everything everyone's said. If that's possible. They are all like my children, special and unique in their own way. I wouldn't part with any of them.

I have an additional criterion for ranking IEMs ... giving weight to those whose profile is slim enough that I can wear them laying on my side in bed. Thus, if I were forced to rank:
1. Solaris 2020
2. Nio
3. Mest

(I'd throw the Trio up there with the Solaris)

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #10,824 of 12,035
My understanding is that some of the staging properties may have been reduced/limited by the single boot in the 2020 and an advantage of going back to a bigger shell would be to space the drivers out how they were in earlier versions.

This, but with a big but. If I were to somehow A/B the iterations, I don't know that I could reliably distinguish between them. I suppose we (not all) think that because the 2020 shell is smaller, the soundstage must also be smaller. Much like how copper cables are warm and silver cables are bright.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #10,825 of 12,035
This, but with a big but. If I were to somehow A/B the iterations, I don't know that I could reliably distinguish between them. I suppose we (not all) think that because the 2020 shell is smaller, the soundstage must also be smaller. Much like how copper cables are warm and silver cables are bright.
OCC silver cables are not bright, they are resolving. So if the IEM is bright or hot, they will sound brighter with OCC.

The Solaris family shines when using an OCC silver cable like the DHC Clone Silver. Lots of details while being super smooth.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #10,826 of 12,035
Hey Guys

John Darko had Alessandro Cortini from NIN on his podcast talking about all the campfire IEMs. Ale said that he can fall asleep listening to the Solaris OG but not with the Z1R "because there is just too much going on there" ... does this imply Solaris OG has rolled off treble compared to the Z1R?

dan

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #10,827 of 12,035
Hey Guys

John Darko had Alessandro Cortini from NIN on his podcast talking about all the campfire IEMs. Ale said that he can fall asleep listening to the Solaris OG but not with the Z1R "because there is just too much going on there" ... does this imply Solaris OG has rolled off treble compared to the Z1R?

dan
I wouldn't say so... I don't know how to put it in audiophile terms but the Z1R just has a more intense sound to them. Hard to explain, I guess it's inherent of the frequency response differences between the two. I find the Solaris SE's treble to be equally as extended.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #10,828 of 12,035
Hey Guys

dan

I also don't think it's a treble specific related thing. More of an all-around intense sound coming from the Z1R.

There are many other factors he might have not mentioned, including comfort, fit, etc.

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #10,829 of 12,035
Hey Guys

dan
the z1r's sound is simply more.. "intense" is the way i'd put it. intense and engaging. it very easily gets your attention and is hard to pay attention to both z1r and other things for example reading a book.
with solaris to me i found it easier to blend in with other activities, it's a less intense sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back