Campfire - Solaris
Jan 8, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #10,801 of 12,035
That's surprising, my Z1R sounded great out of the SE200 from the AKM (balanced connection). No signs of sibilance to my ears. But saying that, I did notice some when I switched to a majority silver cable. Are you using the stock cable? Not to hijack the Solaris thread here which is a great IEM in its own right.
Yes, I tried both the stock balanced cable and Dream Duet(sliver), and treble sounds fairly similar IMO :head_bandage:

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #10,802 of 12,035
Yes, I tried both the stock balanced cable and Dream Duet(sliver), and treble sounds fairly similar IMO :head_bandage:
Hmm I can't imagine what it might be then. I've heard insertion depth with the Z1R and seal also has adverse effects but I've never had a problem with either resulting in sibilance. The SP2000 (from everything I've read) is more laid back in the treble than the SE200 so I'm stumped. Maybe you are just ultra sensitive to frequencies that the Z1R has peaks in? Could also try a pure copper cable to see if that negates it for you.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #10,803 of 12,035
1610138526328.png

It's pretty safe to say the Campfire Audio Solaris Spedial Edition is one of the most stunning earphones I've had the pleasure of ever seeing in person.
Thank you, @Rockwell75!​

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #10,806 of 12,035
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #10,807 of 12,035
Same drivers as 2020, same shell as OG. Minus the gold platting, obviously. I don’t know what else, if anything, changed. Its not yet on the CA webpage, just the ALO. Surprise!
Isn't the same housing as SE? (No tubing)

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #10,808 of 12,035
Isn't the same housing as SE? (No tubing)
Maybe? Do you have any further info other than the site info? They just say OG, SE interchangeably, as I read it.

Jan 10, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #10,809 of 12,035
Maybe? Do you have any further info other than the site info? They just say OG, SE interchangeably, as I read it.
Not sure, mate. I'm with the impression they used the SolidBody design. But the site description mention all technologies from all 3 designs, but is not clear which is the final design. (At least for me is not clear)

Jan 10, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #10,810 of 12,035
I have one.
Differences versus the 2020 are subtle, but noticeable. Wider soundstage, slightly more elevated/textured mids, smoother/airier treble. I prefer it over the 2020, personally.

My understanding is that the LE uses the 2020 drivers, and the OG/SE shell. I’m inferring from the descriptions that the acoustic chambers are not the 3D ceramic chambers used in the SE, but I will confirm this particular point with ALO.
It’s limited to 400 units.

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #10,811 of 12,035
I have one.
Differences versus the 2020 are subtle, but noticeable. Wider soundstage, slightly more elevated/textured mids, smoother/airier treble. I prefer it over the 2020, personally.

My understanding is that the LE uses the 2020 drivers, and the OG/SE shell. I’m inferring from the descriptions that the acoustic chambers are not the 3D ceramic chambers used in the SE, but I will confirm this particular point with ALO.
It’s limited to 400 units.
Thanks mate. The drivers are clear on the description, but the acoustic chambers are a bit blurry. I'm curious now.

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #10,812 of 12,035
Thanks mate. The drivers are clear on the description, but the acoustic chambers are a bit blurry. I'm curious now.
yeah, I hadn't given the acoustic chambers much thought to be honest, so I asked ALO directly. It's a good question. I'll report back when I hear!

Jan 10, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #10,813 of 12,035
I think a relevant question is if the LE has the same "single boot" where the drivers get mounted in a little box and then into the shell (a la 2020) or if they're mounted individually in the shell a la the OG/SE and (additionally) with the "ceramic tuning chamber" of the SE. My understanding is that some of the staging properties may have been reduced/limited by the single boot in the 2020 and an advantage of going back to a bigger shell would be to space the drivers out how they were in earlier versions. Also, does the LE have the same 8k treble spike of the 2020? There's always a chance I'll head to Solaris-ville again at some point in my life and it would be interesting to know all the details about each of the versions...and the versions still to come lol. I'm also curious (for myself) if and how the drivers in the LE/2020 are different than in the SE.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #10,814 of 12,035
I think a relevant question is if the LE has the same "single boot" where the drivers get mounted in a little box and then into the shell (a la 2020) or if they're mounted individually in the shell a la the OG/SE and (additionally) with the "ceramic tuning chamber" of the SE. My understanding is that some of the staging properties may have been reduced/limited by the single boot in the 2020 and an advantage of going back to a bigger shell would be to space the drivers out how they were in earlier versions. Also, does the LE have the same 8k treble spike of the 2020? There's always a chance I'll head to Solaris-ville again at some point in my life and it would be interesting to know all the details about each of the versions...and the versions still to come lol. I'm also curious (for myself) if and how the drivers in the LE/2020 are different than in the SE.
I will ask about the boot, as well, but I would be shocked if the LE used the boot. I don't see anything in the marketing materials that implies they used the boot, and in fact, if one of the primary reasons for using the boot was to save space, they wouldn't need to do that in the larger shell. Did you read anything that implied they used the boot?

I am not sophisticated enough to know if it has the same 8k spike as the 2020, but based on two things (my sensitivity to that region and the fact that I hear the treble as a bit smoother than the 2020), I would assume no. But - don't take my word for it. I'm not sure I really even perceived an 8k spike with the 2020 (just slightly more forward upper mids versus the SE), if that's any indication of my "sophistication" :)

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #10,815 of 12,035
the Solaris 2020 and LE have much more bass presence than the Gold - more quantity for sure, although the Gold has the more typical BA bass quality if that's preferred. I agree with you regarding the bass quality of the Solaris, but that's also preference-driven (some prefer BA bass).

The Golds' bass was really impressive to me, because it felt so accurate and responsive. It was always a bit too much, though. To my ears, the Solaris reign it the bass a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back