Campfire - Solaris
Oct 8, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #10,336 of 12,035
Dunu Blanche just came in. Testing with 2.5 and amp1ii today, 4.4 and amp8ex tomorrow. Sounds great so far.

20201001_130821.jpg
please share impressions

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #10,337 of 12,035
There are I think one or two other companies out there that offer custom tips, but I had good experiences with both advanced and custom art, and I definitely liked that with advanced they will scan your impressions and you can use those scans elsewhere.

Yeah that last bit is very appealing to me as well. None of the audiologists around my scan the impressions, so I would need that. And I found a local audiologist that will do both ears for $50 total, which is a great deal compared to what most charge (average around here is $150, excluding this place), so I'll give it a try.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #10,338 of 12,035
please share impressions

Sure! I posted in the Dunu cable thread as well, but so far the Blanche + DX228EX + Solaris has been the blackest background I've yet experienced, but without any denigration of sound quality (which I experienced with, e.g., IEMatch). The mid-bass was slightly enhanced and everything overall feels punchier.

In terms of ergonomics, the cable is softer and more supple than CA Super Litz, and the slider moves better, feels strudy, and stays in place well. I also like that the Blanche has memory plastic guides, but does NOT have the memory wire. And of course the swappable connectors are a fantastic perk, which is why I was interested in the cable to begin with. Seamlessly switching between amp8EX, amp1ii, and my QP2R. I've also heard that Dunu is released a USBC connector soon too, so I'll be able to use the cable with my phone as well.

The only downside has been some crackling when the connectors spin, but it seems to be slowly going away with more use, and I would imagine that Dunu would help out with a bum connector if you got one that didn't clear up.

Overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase and this pairing. :ksc75smile:

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #10,339 of 12,035
Sure! I posted in the Dunu cable thread as well, but so far the Blanche + DX228EX + Solaris has been the blackest background I've yet experienced, but without any denigration of sound quality (which I experienced with, e.g., IEMatch). The mid-bass was slightly enhanced and everything overall feels punchier.

In terms of ergonomics, the cable is softer and more supple than CA Super Litz, and the slider moves better, feels strudy, and stays in place well. I also like that the Blanche has memory plastic guides, but does NOT have the memory wire. And of course the swappable connectors are a fantastic perk, which is why I was interested in the cable to begin with. Seamlessly switching between amp8EX, amp1ii, and my QP2R. I've also heard that Dunu is released a USBC connector soon too, so I'll be able to use the cable with my phone as well.

The only downside has been some crackling when the connectors spin, but it seems to be slowly going away with more use, and I would imagine that Dunu would help out with a bum connector if you got one that didn't clear up.

Overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase and this pairing. :ksc75smile:
thanks so much

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #10,340 of 12,035
Nice find. Thanks!

Just so you know that cable did not work for me for some reason.

After listening to the Solaris 2020 with the paw S1 for a few days, I can say without a doubt I enjoy it more than any audio equipment I have ever owned! The sound signature matches my preferences perfectly, and I am blown away by how much I enjoy listening to these things. I went from thinking my woo audio tube amp and the utopias were my end game to my studio monitors and now to these! Listening to these makes listening to music as enjoyable as when I first started my audio journey, a feeling I thought I never could recapture. I am perfectly happy with this setup but I may try out the other DAPs you guys have recommended to see if it can improve even more! The fact that I can use this setup anywhere is also amazing! Thanks everyone for their suggestions in this thread once again :).

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #10,341 of 12,035
Just so you know that cable did not work for me for some reason.

After listening to the Solaris 2020 with the paw S1 for a few days, I can say without a doubt I enjoy it more than any audio equipment I have ever owned! The sound signature matches my preferences perfectly, and I am blown away by how much I enjoy listening to these things. I went from thinking my woo audio tube amp and the utopias were my end game to my studio monitors and now to these! Listening to these makes listening to music as enjoyable as when I first started my audio journey, a feeling I thought I never could recapture. I am perfectly happy with this setup but I may try out the other DAPs you guys have recommended to see if it can improve even more! The fact that I can use this setup anywhere is also amazing! Thanks everyone for their suggestions in this thread once again :).

I’ve been searching for an iem that suits me for so long that the searching mentality has become a habit. When I don’t listen for a few days I start looking at the exchange, wondering what’s out there... but then I listen to my Solaris 2020 with the WM1Z and I realize that there’s really nothing lacking for me. Slowly the habit of looking is getting weaker. 👍

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #10,342 of 12,035
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #10,343 of 12,035
Any recommendations on budget (under $200) cable pairings for the solaris? Looking for something thin, light, with no memory wire and a good splitter since I'm active with them.

Thanks!

Oct 9, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #10,344 of 12,035
Any recommendations on budget (under $200) cable pairings for the solaris? Looking for something thin, light, with no memory wire and a good splitter since I'm active with them.

Thanks!

CA Super Smoky Litz is $199, sounds great with Solaris, is light and relatively flexible, and has a solid splitter/slider, and they've taken the memory wire out.

For an actual "budget" cable, I like this one. I use it with my BL03.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #10,347 of 12,035
Traveling buddy...still loving the warm-side-of-balanced (and expansive stage) sound sig of the Solaris 2020.
89748F6E-AFE6-4617-8032-0652C234B80D.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back