Campfire - Solaris
Oct 3, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #10,306 of 12,035
Hmm. Listening to the same song on the Plenue P2 through the 3.5 output, same volume approximately, stock cable as on QP1R and AR-M2, I can tell you the sound from the Solaris is massive. Makes me think I shouldn't tamper with the pairing and maybe just get the same cable in 2.5 termination as to me it doesn't seem to be lacking.
Has anyone in particular tried their Solaris with the P2 and then changed cable?
If so, what are the pros?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #10,308 of 12,035
Do you guys rly like the new tuning of the 2020 Solaris? I now could compare the OG and 2020 and can't stand the treble of the 2020. It's now too much V-Shape. It seems to be an Upgrade to much people, but i just don't like it. The smaler size is and allblack design is superior, but the sound not. I like the OG much more.

Definitely seems slightly more of a V than the SE anyway. Quite curious to hear it myself.
Screenshot 2020-10-03 at 16.49.55.png

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #10,310 of 12,035
n6ii e02 has mild hiss with cfa stuff so beware

Yeah but unless you're especially sensitive to hiss it's pretty negligible. I go back and forth between the S1 (which is pitch black) and the E02 all the time and I never find myself consciously noticing hiss (coming or going) when i switch from one to the other. Campfire IEMs are among those Cayin uses to tune their boards and I feel they've managed to get a great sound from them despite a nominal amount of hiss in some cases.

Also:

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #10,311 of 12,035
Yeah but unless you're especially sensitive to hiss it's pretty negligible. I go back and forth between the S1 (which is pitch black) and the E02 all the time and I never find myself consciously noticing hiss (coming or going) when i switch from one to the other. Campfire IEMs are among those Cayin uses to tune their boards and I feel they've managed to get a great sound from them despite a nominal amount of hiss in some cases.

Also:

from all the sources u have which one do u like best? i got an n6ii e02 but i might replace it when the dx300 comes around

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #10,312 of 12,035
from all the sources u have which one do u like best? i got an n6ii e02 but i might replace it when the dx300 comes around

The E01/E02 & S1 stand out of the sources I've owned. I really enjoyed my demos of the WM1Z and Cayin N8.

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #10,314 of 12,035
Fully agree about the S1 as a great source for the Solaris 2020s. SP1000m also sounds great (only heard the n6ii once briefly but it seems to be widely regarded as pretty great).

I recently had a very pleasant surprise finding that the TRN BT-20s pro is actually quite a nice option to turn the Solaris into some pretty great true wireless iems. You certainly don't get their full capabilities like you would with a proper dap or even the S1, but hooked up to the bt20s pro, they definitely blow away any other true wireless iems or headphones I’ve heard. There is no hiss, which was a nice surprise, and you get nice full bass and all things considered pretty great dynamics. I had the older bt20 a few years ago and those hissed pretty noticeably with my OG Solaris and sounded muddy and lifeless. Comfort-wise I have no complaints. The batteries sit behind your ear like a hearing aid battery and pretty much disappear once back there. Battery life was also significantly better than I was expecting. I listened for about 3.5 hours today and still had 80% battery life. All in all they provide a great option for when you are in an environment that you wouldn’t be doing super critical listening or when you are moving around a lot or doing something that makes corded listening inconvenient (like fixing things around the house or working in a wood shop).

As for negatives, the built in microphones are pretty crappy for calls, and I’ve found the usb c charging port in the charging case to be a bit fiddly, making it hard to properly seat the cable to charge it. Also, while it is possible to zip close the charging case when they are connected to the Solaris 2020, you can only barely get it closed and when you do it is tight enough that it makes me nervous about the pressure from the semi-hard cloth case lid on the iems. You probably would not be able to zip closed the case with the OG/SE Solaris attached.

But all in all, as a Bluetooth option and means to turn your Solaris 2020 into a true wireless iems (and one that is pretty affordable at $70), I’m very happy with them. It is also really nice that you can switch out the connector arms so you can use them with mmcx iems or iems with 2 pin connectors. If anyone is looking for something like this, I’d definitely say they are worth checking out.

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #10,315 of 12,035
Fully agree about the S1 as a great source for the Solaris 2020s. SP1000m also sounds great (only heard the n6ii once briefly but it seems to be widely regarded as pretty great).

I recently had a very pleasant surprise finding that the TRN BT-20s pro is actually quite a nice option to turn the Solaris into some pretty great true wireless iems. You certainly don't get their full capabilities like you would with a proper dap or even the S1, but hooked up to the bt20s pro, they definitely blow away any other true wireless iems or headphones I’ve heard. There is no hiss, which was a nice surprise, and you get nice full bass and all things considered pretty great dynamics. I had the older bt20 a few years ago and those hissed pretty noticeably with my OG Solaris and sounded muddy and lifeless. Comfort-wise I have no complaints. The batteries sit behind your ear like a hearing aid battery and pretty much disappear once back there. Battery life was also significantly better than I was expecting. I listened for about 3.5 hours today and still had 80% battery life. All in all they provide a great option for when you are in an environment that you wouldn’t be doing super critical listening or when you are moving around a lot or doing something that makes corded listening inconvenient (like fixing things around the house or working in a wood shop).

As for negatives, the built in microphones are pretty crappy for calls, and I’ve found the usb c charging port in the charging case to be a bit fiddly, making it hard to properly seat the cable to charge it. Also, while it is possible to zip close the charging case when they are connected to the Solaris 2020, you can only barely get it closed and when you do it is tight enough that it makes me nervous about the pressure from the semi-hard cloth case lid on the iems. You probably would not be able to zip closed the case with the OG/SE Solaris attached.

But all in all, as a Bluetooth option and means to turn your Solaris 2020 into a true wireless iems (and one that is pretty affordable at $70), I’m very happy with them. It is also really nice that you can switch out the connector arms so you can use them with mmcx iems or iems with 2 pin connectors. If anyone is looking for something like this, I’d definitely say they are worth checking out.

How do you find Solaris vs. Odin? Do you still find yourself reaching for the Solaris having a beast like Odin around?

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #10,316 of 12,035
Outside of trying them out with the bt20s pro Bluetooth true wireless connectors (which I actually think I prefer with the Solaris, perhaps because they are easier to drive), the Odins have been getting almost all of the ear time since I got them.

I’m definitely still in the honeymoon phase with the Odins, but to my ears they are a clear step up from the Solaris 2020s in most regards (resolution, details, layering, instrument separation, dynamics) while also having a balanced all rounder signature. I would be lying if I said I had not considered selling the Solaris 2020, but have so far decided to hold on to them because I still love them, their tuning is a little different, and there are situations where I am more comfortable using Solaris than the Odins (the all metal shells of the Solaris are certainly more robust than the Odin’s acrylic shells).

Given that the Odins are more than twice the price of the Solaris 2020 (and a little less than twice the cost of the Solaris SEs), it’s hard to make any kind of objective case that they are “worth” the price differential—we are well into diminishing returns land once you are going above the cost of Solaris. However, to me they do provide a noticeable upgrade in most technical areas while still excelling in many of the qualities I love about the Solaris’ overall presentation. It is enough that I am personally very happy with my purchase, and have not regretted getting the Odins at all. I think I said it in an earlier post, but particularly if you are a fan of the Solaris and you have a opportunity to try the Odins, I highly recommend it.

Oct 4, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #10,317 of 12,035
thanks friend, how does the S1 compare to the E01/02? i'm assuming it's the lotoo paw s1? and how does e01 compare to e02?

I used the AB mode almost exclusively on the E01 and it's honestly hard to tell the difference between the E01 AB mode and the E02 which only has AB mode. Honestly I got the E02 primarly because I like the look and aesthetic of my 4.4mm cable and since I have the S1 I am able to use my 4.4 through my Macbook, iPhone and n6ii.

In terms of sound between the E02 and S1 each have their own character and honestly I struggle to say I like one more than the other though in a pinch my heart leans toward the E02. There is something about the dynamic and vibrant sound and fullness it brings to the stage that makes me prefer it despite a nominal amount of hiss....which the S1 lacks entirely. The S1 is great in its own right though and imho elevates the ability of Solaris to pick up nuance and detail to a good degree. I go back and forth between the two all day and neither leave me craving/missing the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back