Campfire - Solaris
Jul 17, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #9,511 of 12,035
Just got my Solaris 2020 at last!
I've waited for them for 1.5 months and its sort of good that I had that time to thoroughly investigate online about what to expect. Aaand so I'm trying not to panick over the fact that they sound like crap without burn in.
:)
First half hour in 🙄
Yes, after several hours last night they started to show me something.

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #9,512 of 12,035
they sound like crap without burn in.
:)
First half hour in 🙄

They shouldn't sound like crap before burn in-- unless they're defective (or just not for you). That said there is a lot to be said for your brain adjusting to a particular sig. I don't personally put a lot of stock in the concept of burn in a la the gear itself "loosening up" or changing in ways that dramatically affect the sound. I do however very much believe that it can take your brain/senses a while to fully wrap around the sound of an IEM-- to the degree that it may take a couple weeks or more to fully delve in and perceive all the nuances. Just a few weeks ago I got my first pair of progressive glasses. I hated them at first as they were difficult to use. As time wore on though and my brain got used to the changes I came to see how powerful and how much better they are than my previous glasses. There were a lot of parallels for me between this experience and "burning in" a new pair of earphones. I look forward to more of your impressions either way :)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #9,514 of 12,035
Sorry thought I replied, just the convenience and I kind of realised that the 1Z kind of colours the sound, also I’ve been leaning towards more neutral signatures recently.

I'm not sure I've asked (or if you've already posted impressions) but how are you liking the SE?

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #9,516 of 12,035
I think I actually prefer the OG strangely enough. I can’t tell the difference now as it’s been awhile since I heard the OG but I remember liking them more than I do the SE.

Hmm it’s so strange how everyone perceives things differently. I immediately knew that I liked the SE more. It just sounded more right. I could tell straight away that the soundstage wasn’t as large though.

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #9,517 of 12,035
I found the difference between the OG and SE to be most evident in the bottom end. The OG has more slam/impact and the SE has better details. The SE also has a wider and larger soundstage.

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #9,518 of 12,035
They shouldn't sound like crap before burn in-- unless they're defective (or just not for you). That said there is a lot to be said for your brain adjusting to a particular sig. I don't personally put a lot of stock in the concept of burn in a la the gear itself "loosening up" or changing in ways that dramatically affect the sound. I do however very much believe that it can take your brain/senses a while to fully wrap around the sound of an IEM-- to the degree that it may take a couple weeks or more to fully delve in and perceive all the nuances. Just a few weeks ago I got my first pair of progressive glasses. I hated them at first as they were difficult to use. As time wore on though and my brain got used to the changes I came to see how powerful and how much better they are than my previous glasses. There were a lot of parallels for me between this experience and "burning in" a new pair of earphones. I look forward to more of your impressions either way :)
When I first put them in my ears I used the IPhone with them and took them out for a good 2 hour walk. At first it was meh, several hours later they did open up quite a lot when I finally used them on the XDSD. It was a night and day difference. The sound was all over the place in the first hour or so. It might be brain, might not. I’m just happy I do love them now. I’m speaking of the Solaris 2020.

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #9,519 of 12,035
When I first put them in my ears I used the IPhone with them and took them out for a good 2 hour walk. At first it was meh, several hours later they did open up quite a lot when I finally used them on the XDSD. It was a night and day difference. The sound was all over the place in the first hour or so. It might be brain, might not. I’m just happy I do love them now. I’m speaking of the Solaris 2020.
The 2020 did sound a bit muddy and congested for me as well. I listened a few more times and it improved but I noticed it was very source dependent.

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #9,520 of 12,035
This honeymoon period is quite a blast at the moment. Lol, I don’t wanna go home. I would like to thank @Andrew DiMarcangelo for recommending these to me, due to the type of sound I love. And they are severely addicting to me. I don’t wanna do anything today besides rock out with them. And I do love the clean, tight bass too.

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #9,522 of 12,035
The Sedna Exelastics really have transformed the Solaris SE’s for me. Increased the perception of bass quantity and impact, increased the comfort 10 fold and details seem to pop more! Those who haven’t tried them with the Solaris owe it to themselves to.
Lol, can’t wait to try them Sunday. That’s when Amazon will show up.

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #9,523 of 12,035
Lol, can’t wait to try them Sunday. That’s when Amazon will show up.

Let us know your impressions! I’m sounding like a Sedna spokesperson right now but they’ve made the Solaris to near Custom levels of comfort and increased the SQ.

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #9,525 of 12,035
Let us know your impressions! I’m sounding like a Sedna spokesperson right now but they’ve made the Solaris to near Custom levels of comfort and increased the SQ.
Where did you order the sedna's from and how long did they take to get to the uk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back