Campfire - Solaris
Jul 18, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #9,541 of 12,035
FF010BFF-E857-4E0C-B982-6EE693581C9F.JPEG

Revisiting this classic combo-- n6ii + a01 => smokey litz => Solaris SE

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #9,542 of 12,035
Lol, can’t wait to try them Sunday. That’s when Amazon will show up.

Definitely looking forward to your impressions, especially if you are able to compare against other tips, like Final Audio tips. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry about the second or third post with the same question.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #9,543 of 12,035
How does it sound the smoky litz compared with the super smoky litz with solaris? :)

I’m still looking for a good balanced cable for Solaris 2020 as the super smoky bal is not available in europe at the moment and I find the old super litz balanced to be brighter and with less bass than the new super smoky litz with solaris 2020. May order the leonidas ii in a couple of months

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #9,546 of 12,035
I’ll get more into detail about the sound once I listen a little more. Comfort = amazing! I went right for the biggest size in my pack and it just sticks inside your ears. Like nothing is there. As good of a seal as you could ask for. The sound is definitely open like the standard tips so far, but with a better seal than any tips that came with the Solaris.

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #9,547 of 12,035
So, I’ve had a couple days with the Solaris 2020. Mine had about 5 hours of use before I got them and as controvesial as burn in is, I’m leaving them running.
Coming from the Andromeda Golds, the Solaris seemed a little leaner sounding in the vocal range and the soundstage was tighter but a bit deeper. I wasn‘t thrilled but kept going. Tried different cables and with the WM1A I definitely preferred balanced. The Litz cable gives back a bit more depth but the Leonidas 1 has a fair bit better tone.. assuming cables make a difference.

After several hours listening I really started to hear the Solaris as something special. Though it’s hard to explain without mentioning “sounds”, I could hear little details in the cymbals I hadn’t noticed before, like a high hat struck while not quite fully open so there were extra clashed between the two cymbals. But more than this, I found myself really hearing the playing. Dire Straits’ Brothers in Arms has always been one of my favourite songs and Mark Knopfler’s guitar playing took on a new expression I hadn’t felt so much before. He turns it into an ethereal voice with so much subtle control of the tone of each note... The difference with the Solaris over something like the U12t is that with the latter, I found myself focussing on how it sounded different, or clear or “real” or whatever but more like admiring something from afar.. with the Solaris 2020 I just got lost in the poetic narrative of his playing. The husky undertones of his voice as well. With the Solaris I feel as I‘m a participant rather than an observer. Music, not gear.

Tonight I’ll do some more listening.. Really enjoying these...

edit... and comfort is perfect. I thought the Andromeda Golds were good but these are even better

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #9,548 of 12,035
So, I’ve had a couple days with the Solaris 2020. Mine had about 5 hours of use before I got them and as controvesial as burn in is, I’m leaving them running.
Coming from the Andromeda Golds, the Solaris seemed a little leaner sounding in the vocal range and the soundstage was tighter but a bit deeper. <snip>

After several hours listening I really started to hear the Solaris as something special. Though it’s hard to explain without mentioning “sounds”, I could hear little details in the cymbals I hadn’t noticed before, like a high hat struck while not quite fully open so there were extra clashed between the two cymbals. But more than this, I found myself really hearing the playing. Dire Straits’ Brothers in Arms has always been one of my favourite songs and Mark Knopfler’s guitar playing took on a new expression I hadn’t felt so much before. He turns it into an ethereal voice with so much subtle control of the tone of each note... The difference with the Solaris over something like the U12t is that with the latter, I found myself focussing on how it sounded different, or clear or “real” or whatever but more like admiring something from afar.. with the Solaris 2020 I just got lost in the poetic narrative of his playing. The husky undertones of his voice as well. With the Solaris I feel as I‘m a participant rather than an observer. Music, not gear.

Tonight I’ll do some more listening.. Really enjoying these...

edit... and comfort is perfect. I thought the Andromeda Golds were good but these are even better

Finally! Someone really gets it. It's really supposed to be about the music, not the bass, the mids and the treble. I've owned and/or extensively auditioned many Campfire iems, and I think Ken really 'gets it too'. These play music performed by real musicians on real instruments, as-if they are present. I'm not saying they are the only good stuff out there, but that they come at this from a different direction. There is a coherence that makes them excel at being natural. I love dynamic drivers, and have a love-hate affair with single-DD iems. I have the OG Solaris and the Andromeda Golds as well. (I have Vegas too, but they've gone to live with their uncle (my coworker, actually)

I'm working on some notes/comments to post on my profile regarding the weird, alt way that fzman listens to music.Be scared, be very scared. LOL

PS Had an eipiphany today, while driving OG Solaris with my new Lotoo Paw 6000---- the lead singer from Opth really sounds a crap-ton like Greg Lake-- there, I've said it in public--dare ya to disagree. LOL

Quaranteenramblings, or a new level or supreme truth-- you be the judge

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #9,549 of 12,035
How do you guys find Solaris 2020(or any) handle really high volume?(like few steps from unbearable) I find them distorting at a not fully burned in stage (~30hrs). I'm guessing its only the DD distorting as it is not run in yet fully as it was worse out of the box.

As someone who plays drums I like sometimes listening loud to really feel the drum and cymbal impact.
This worked great on Atlas...

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #9,550 of 12,035
How do you guys find Solaris 2020(or any) handle really high volume?(like few steps from unbearable) I find them distorting at a not fully burned in stage (~30hrs). I'm guessing its only the DD distorting as it is not run in yet fully as it was worse out of the box.

As someone who plays drums I like sometimes listening loud to really feel the drum and cymbal impact.
This worked great on Atlas...
what are you driving them wiith? Sounds like you ay be clipping the amp. Is there a higher gain setting (not volume level) you can implement?

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #9,551 of 12,035
what are you driving them wiith? Sounds like you ay be clipping the amp. Is there a higher gain setting (not volume level) you can implement?
Dx220 with Amp8ex Elna.
I dont think it should be the amp. I keep it high gain and volume is at 108/150 where it starts to distort. But only the low tones do. When I cut them off in eq its okey...

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #9,552 of 12,035
Dx220 with Amp8ex Elna.
I dont think it should be the amp. I keep it high gain and volume is at 108/150 where it starts to distort. But only the low tones do. When I cut them off in eq its okey...
wow.. that's really high volume listening...
why?

I am using DX228EX (Body & AMP). and Solaris OG.
Using Mango OS, my volume listening is around 8 of 100, mid Gain, While On Android OS, like you, around 15 of 150, max volume around 28 of 150, Mid Gain, thats already painfull...
clipping start on volume 40 of 150.. if I tried...

get better sealing, IMO...

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #9,553 of 12,035
why?

Using Mango OS, my volume listening is around 8 of 100, mid Gain, While On Android OS, like you, around 15 of 150, max volume around 28 of 150, Mid Gain, thats already painfull...

Wow. Very interesting.
I use DX227, and with the Solaris 2020, I have volume hovering around 100 w/medium gain. Amazing differences.

edit/addition - if my recollection is accurate, I listened to my Solaris SE at about the same volume

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #9,554 of 12,035
Agreed that would be seriously tempting.
why?

Well I can't possibly imagine listening at 8 of 100 on mid gain. Really unimaginable for me o.O
I think the sound quality (technicality) increses with volume up to a certain point.
This was definitely the case with the Atlas. Giving it more definition , separation and an incredibly realistic drum tamber. (With Atlas I listened to 130/150 high gain but with gain in eq downed by -5db) and 80-85 (also with eq so some db auto restriction was used)

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #9,555 of 12,035
Wow. Very interesting.
I use DX227, and with the Solaris 2020, I have volume hovering around 100 w/medium gain. Amazing differences.

edit/addition - if my recollection is accurate, I listened to my Solaris SE at about the same volume
hmm... already used too this low volume listening...
if try with balance cable also at that volume?

Well I can't possibly imagine listening at 8 of 100 on mid gain. Really unimaginable for me o.O
I think the sound quality (technicality) increses with volume up to a certain point.
This was definitely the case with the Atlas. Giving it more definition , separation and an incredibly realistic drum tamber. (With Atlas I listened to 130/150 high gain but with gain in eq downed by -5db) and 80-85 (also with eq so some db auto restriction was used)
Guess we all are really different...
CMIIW, the higher the volume, the more v Shaped the sound sig will tends too..
for me higher volume will only make the separation less, even overlapping in certain sound...

edit, this low volume listening, prone to Hiss sensitive...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back