Campfire - Solaris
May 25, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #8,851 of 12,035
I don't think this is fair. Most reviewers are doing a service by providing impressions and info-- however they're human and what you get from any individual reviewer is only one person's impression/opinion and should not be taken as a standard, or as gospel The problem comes when people elevate the opinions of any reviewer to the status of holy writ.

I trust Amazon customers review much more. Headphone reviews from individual posters are very tricky because there are guys like BGGAR who would threaten the headphone companies to send him review units for free or he would sabotage the reputation of products (creating biased views based on review courtesies). You really need to find a ground of trust these days.

May 25, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #8,852 of 12,035
I trust Amazon customers review much more. Headphone reviews from individual posters are very tricky because there are guys like BGGAR who would threaten the headphone companies to send him review units for free or he would sabotage the reputation of products (creating biased views based on review courtasies). You really need to find a ground of trust these days.
Bad good guy audio reviews?
Huh, I always felt smth was off about that reviewer 🤔

May 25, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #8,853 of 12,035
Bad good guy audio reviews?
Huh, I always felt smth was off about that reviewer 🤔

Yeah! His channel is an awesome source of introduction to new and good Chifi IEMs (I love the Shuoer Tape and liked the BGVP DM6 that he recommended, for example). But he is kind of a guy you don't want to trust, his integrity is broken when he does some reviews. I got this impression from a series of his reviews more than a year ago.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #8,854 of 12,035
I trust Amazon customers review much more. Headphone reviews from individual posters are very tricky because there are guys like BGGAR who would threaten the headphone companies to send him review units for free or he would sabotage the reputation of products (creating biased views based on review courtesies). You really need to find a ground of trust these days.

Yes Amazon reviews are great...the problem is that with these niche products you won't often find very many if any reviews on Amazon. Quite frankly I don't really trust any reviewers either-- I feel they should all just be one factor among many. If I really want to get to the bottom of whether a particular product is right for me I get the best info from PMing folks on here I who have heard it and who generally like the same gear I do.

May 25, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #8,855 of 12,035
Yes Amazon reviews are great...the problem is that with these niche products you won't often find very many if any reviews on Amazon. Quite frankly I don't really trust any reviewers either-- I feel they should all just be one factor among many. If I really want to get to the bottom of whether a particular product is right for me I get the best info from PMing folks on here I who have heard it and who generally like the same gear I do.

True.
For IEMs I trust Twister6's reviews. And Crinacle's impressions is a good reference. Otherwise you will need to refer to many of other forum user's impressions to get an initial idea.

Yes, PM is very good idea. Folks here are great.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #8,857 of 12,035
True.
For IEMs I trust Twister6's reviews. And Crinacle's impressions is a good reference. Otherwise you will need to refer to many of other forum user's impressions to get an initial idea.

Yes, PM is very good idea. Folks here are great.

The comparisons section of @twister6's reviews are a great resource as he has a lot of gear on hand to go back and forth from.

May 25, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #8,860 of 12,035
My votes are for porta.fi and headpie.
They are also very willing to talk through with whatever stupid questions I had.

May 25, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #8,863 of 12,035
uuu Cable topic.. I like...

https://fiio-shop.de/

cant say , had the hulk with 2pin ...
u can buy converter 0.78 to mmcx...
20200526_064927.jpg
still have it, needed this during cable quest quite a while ago...

the Fiio cable have Nice Cable material, with changeable jack, nice... Looking forward for the impression

GU craft man is consider good...
And if you interested in no brand after market cable, there's a thread discus that... here

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #8,864 of 12,035
My votes are for porta.fi and headpie.
They are also very willing to talk through with whatever stupid questions I had.
i dont like Head pie. Too much word salad and pretty pictures.

Plus he takes too long, and his reviews are getting shorter these days. Wheres the journey!?

#headpiesucks

On a serious note i do hear people want some quick fire impressions of the Solaris 2020. So i will try to hammer out a quick generalized listen today or tomorrow (at home, but lockdown with kids means extra time but no free time).

i posted some photos already https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/page-588#post-15635752 which is usually of course just out of the box. Then theres listening time and some burn in (cause people who belive in burn in need it - and others dont, dont care win/win.. everyoneS happy).
So i have 100 hours approx on Solaris 2020 now.
The photos are also a more natural setting (though contrived) and can answer some questions ‘what size are they compared to old Solaris and New Solaris 2020’, compared to the more well known Andromeda etc. Note the difference in shell size and tones. Angles of the nozzle. The different sized cables. Next to a well known dap for another size reference and to see how the cable lies. Plus whats in the package etc. People are smart and can use their eyes i believe.
Trust the reader. ‘ visual, auditory and kinesthetic’ - people learn or absorb information differently.
-Sound comes later. Join the sacred queue.

Whether its for a cheap or expensive item i go through the same process (it also provides clean first look photos for later review) of gathering sound impressions as i am ever aware its peoples money that is being spent and i dont want to mislead anyone - $100 is a lot for some, $1000 is a lot for others.
Twister did a good photo in the other thread(?) of how they look in the ears and ryanjsoo wrote some decent impressions, as did a store.

i can do quick impressions - but would rather play it safe.
I’m not here to sell a product. More an enthusiast and accidental reviewer.

4B72A8AE-9B55-4AA6-9101-86A63E8E2144.jpeg

Usually i would have several daps all volume matched (using a spl meter) so the earphone has the same volume from each dap attached to a headphone switcher box.

Then i would play the same song and switch between the daps to note any differences or similarities etc.

With two earphones of varying output say Solaris and Solaris 2020 the process would be more difficult.
Recording the volume setting and having to manually change it when swapping out each earphone.

Then because for the above the Superlitz cable is different. I would use the Solaris OG Superlitz on both (i have two) and also use a secondary to check - say smokey litz or og litz on both . Record findings again.

Then i would go back to the stock cable and Solaris 2020 with say stock final tips and foams and record results again.
Then after market tips.
Whilst cycling through 4 daps of the same brand say DX120, DX160, DX150, DX200 or DX220 (same songs) to finalize my thoughts.

then i might throw something different into the mix like an Andromeda and another for more information.

i might also throw the Hifi-m8 v1 with its output impedance switches 11/2/1 into the mix if a multi ba model to see how it changes also.

i used to write this all up but now just give a summary.

Its a process. But i can be confident in my results as i hear them.

Often they do match just a casual listen in the end.

But better to safer than sorry when offering opinions that someones hard earned cash might be spent on.

I also try to get at least 100 hours on them as that matters to many people.

TLDR

So anyway. I will try to hammer out something old school style ‘one dap/earphone, two ears’ brief today/tomorrow. Kids willing. :wink:

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #8,865 of 12,035
For someone with Andros and Solaris 2020, is the insertion depth any different? I found Andro with comply T400s to be a bit too shallow.

I have somewhat of a similar issue and what you want to get is the CA IEMs w/ the new black nozzle, ex: Ara, Gold, Polaris 2, etc. The fit of the updated nozzle is much better, goes deep and seals.

Although I do find an excellent seal w/ all my Andros + Symbio W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back