Campfire - Solaris
Jan 12, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #7,351 of 12,035
When you say "feistier" are you referring to the slightly subdued treble (relative to OG)? I find SE to be slightly more "in your face"...at least with respect to vocals.

Ah no not the positioning, the timbre of the original is a little sharper on the vocal for me

Jan 12, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #7,352 of 12,035
Yes it is quite different sounding the two of them when you sit down and spend more than 5 minutes with each. I still think there will be fans of the feistier original so it is good they are selling them both side by side for however long the SE lasts.

Any idea to when your full review will be out? I'm looking forward to reading more impressions vs the OG solaris.

Jan 12, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #7,353 of 12,035
Any idea to when your full review will be out? I'm looking forward to reading more impressions vs the OG solaris.

No schedule yet, I only just got it and did the initial impressions post last week.

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #7,354 of 12,035
Yes I heard that...it's certainly apparent. I'm really looking forward to your full review actually...it will be nice to see an in depth comparison of the two. I'm particularly curious to hear from anyone who complained about the "hollow mids" in the OG (never a problem I had with it) to see if they notice any difference in the SE. The only time I came close to perceiving it was with a couple Michael Jackson songs where, on OG, his voice sounded a touch "nasal"...however on the SE, on the same tracks, his vocals sound more forward and bodied...with not a hint of the nasality. I'm loving the SE though, it's a "do everything well" IEM that checks all my boxes and it ultimately bests everything I've had the chance to own or demo, including the Z1R, Trio & u12t, Noble Khan, Phantom, Anole VX, Andromeda (all varieties).

Sounds good. So solaris SE is a good allrounder then. Thats the type of thing im looking for since thats why I bought a k10u that people told me was a great allrounder. But found it lacking abit in bass extention and the shrill treble peak.

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #7,355 of 12,035
Yes I heard that...it's certainly apparent. I'm really looking forward to your full review actually...it will be nice to see an in depth comparison of the two. I'm particularly curious to hear from anyone who complained about the "hollow mids" in the OG (never a problem I had with it) to see if they notice any difference in the SE. The only time I came close to perceiving it was with a couple Michael Jackson songs where, on OG, his voice sounded a touch "nasal"...however on the SE, on the same tracks, his vocals sound more forward and bodied...with not a hint of the nasality. I'm loving the SE though, it's a "do everything well" IEM that checks all my boxes and it ultimately bests everything I've had the chance to own or demo, including the Z1R, Trio & u12t, Noble Khan, Phantom, Anole VX, Andromeda (all varieties).

Just another anecdote...

I received a B-stock OG Solaris a couple weeks ago and am still getting up-to-speed with it. I agree that it bests my trusty Andromeda in pretty much every way -- better soundstage, detail, and cleaner bass.

However, I was a bit surprised at how polite the bass was given that it uses the same (albeit differently tuned) driver as the Atlas. I also own the Trio, Anole VX, and IER-Z1R, and I prefer the bass presentation on all of those IEMs. I don't think they give up too much on the soundstage or detail, but I also haven't lived with these IEMs for long enough yet.

As a concrete example, there's this wonderful luscious bass line that enters at around 9:30 in this mix:

The Solaris feels like it's pulling punches. The vocals and cymbals are beautiful, though.

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #7,356 of 12,035
Just Updating and correction of my previous impression on SONY WM1A...
Was trying a mature & well burn in WM1A, and I was surprise how almost dark background WM1A can get in balanced (4.4) even in High Gain.
The sound was Dark with puncy mid Bass, Rumble is decent.
Vocal is a bit recess but still detail. not veiled or anything.
High, if you treble lover... IMHO is there.. it just exist but not strong point to make treble lover happy, IMO...

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #7,357 of 12,035
Is there any chance I might think Solaris sounding bright comming from a k10U wich I found abit shrill.
No, the Solaris has more control in the treble department; it doesn't get unnecessarily bright or resonant in its highs. The K10, on the other hand, has a difficult time with its treble, which is its weakest point. There are times when it can get a little harsh, and it is, overall, a little loose in this department. I definitely enjoy the treble on the Solaris more.

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #7,358 of 12,035
Just another anecdote...

I received a B-stock OG Solaris a couple weeks ago and am still getting up-to-speed with it. I agree that it bests my trusty Andromeda in pretty much every way -- better soundstage, detail, and cleaner bass.

However, I was a bit surprised at how polite the bass was given that it uses the same (albeit differently tuned) driver as the Atlas. I also own the Trio, Anole VX, and IER-Z1R, and I prefer the bass presentation on all of those IEMs. I don't think they give up too much on the soundstage or detail, but I also haven't lived with these IEMs for long enough yet.

As a concrete example, there's this wonderful luscious bass line that enters at around 9:30 in this mix:

The Solaris feels like it's pulling punches. The vocals and cymbals are beautiful, though.

Initially, I shared your sentiment as well. I too have the IER-Z1R and Anole VX and felt the OG Solaris bass was a bit reticent. All of that changed with burn-in and swapping the litz cable for the excellent IER-Z1R cable and Sony ear tips. Now, I feel the OG Solaris bests the other two in bass, treble, detail, musicality and overall gestalt. The Sony tips make the Solaris more comfortable, as well as providing an improved presentation. I still appreciate the other two for their personalities and they are a welcome change of pace.

Out of curiosity, how do you find the Tia Trio in relation to the other three? In the past, I've found 64Audio offerings a bit boring (U18t and Fourte) but remain open to changing my mind.

Jan 13, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #7,359 of 12,035
Just another anecdote...

With Solaris it's absolutely crucial that you use tips that give you a good seal-- the bass will suffer if you don't. I agree that Solaris is "polite" in the bass dept but I actually found them to have slightly more impact than the Z1R in the mid-bass region and possibly just a dash less than the VX (I owned both the Z1R and VX btw). I tried the Trio once and found it rather dull. Incidentally, while I occasionally craved more bass impact with OG Solaris I don't at all with SE Solaris...I wouldn't go so far as to say the latter has more impact, but it seems to have refined the presentation such that everything seems more "just so" and perfectly balanced. The bass is definitely cleaner and less muddy on SE, but on both I found it impactful, deep and rumbly.

Initially, I shared your sentiment as well. I too have the IER-Z1R and Anole VX and felt the OG Solaris bass was a bit reticent. All of that changed with burn-in and swapping the litz cable for the excellent IER-Z1R cable and Sony ear tips. Now, I feel the OG Solaris bests the other two in bass, treble, detail, musicality and overall gestalt. The Sony tips make the Solaris more comfortable, as well as providing an improved presentation. I still appreciate the other two for their personalities and they are a welcome change of pace.

Out of curiosity, how do you find the Tia Trio in relation to the other three? In the past, I've found 64Audio offerings a bit boring (U18t and Fourte) but remain open to changing my mind.

I would second this assessment-- I prefer the bass overall on Solaris to either VX or Z1R. And I share your assessment of the Trio...nice enough, but dull.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #7,360 of 12,035
Incidentally, while I occasionally craved more bass impact with OG Solaris I don't at all with SE Solaris...I wouldn't go so far as to say the latter has more impact, but it seems to have refined the presentation such that everything seems more "just so" and perfectly balanced. The bass is definitely cleaner and less muddy on SE, but on both I found it impactful, deep and rumbly.
I think the new mids driver in the SE is responsible for this change. But I can't be certain without knowing where the crossover is from the DD driver to it.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #7,362 of 12,035
I think the new mids driver in the SE is responsible for this change. But I can't be certain without knowing where the crossover is from the DD driver to it.

Yeah that's possible...just out of curiosity would you share my assessment? The bass and balance is definitely better on SE...but I don't think there's necessarily any more quantity.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #7,363 of 12,035
There is no crossover if I remember correctly. I read somewhere that the mid BA is full range and would explain why the Solaris sounds quite coherent.

That is correct there is no crossover and said BA is full range...it's why some people complain that Solaris' bass has a touch of the "BA timbre" (though it's DD DNA is unmistakably present as well). Personally I feel it's a worthy sacrifice for coherence, which is one of Solaris' strong suits.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #7,364 of 12,035
Yeah that's possible...just out of curiosity would you share my assessment? The bass and balance is definitely better on SE...but I don't think there's necessarily any more quantity.
I forgot the mid BA is full range. My bad, I blame that on my lack of sleep.

I do agree that the bass and balance is definitely better on SE.I would also say that the bass details are also improved on the SE,.

Because of all the changes in the SE I am going to sell my Solaris OG.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #7,365 of 12,035
I feel the OG Solaris bests the other two in...overall gestalt.

IMHO this can't be overstated and is arguably Solaris' greatest strength...it might have even been the biggest factor in my going back to Solaris after abandoning it for the VX for a few months. The overall coherence and balance and "greater than the sum of its parts" aspect of Solaris really is quite striking...and most importantly it's not something that will be discerned during a superficial demo in a shop...you have to spend some time with it before these qualities really become apparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back