Campfire - Solaris
Jan 17, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #7,381 of 12,035
what are the best daps for SElaris? i'm looking at n6ii with a01 module, but it's pretty expensive.. what are some of the best options? android needed.

I've owned and used with Solaris: Fiio M9, Sony ZX300, Questyle QP2R, Cayin n6ii/a01. Favorite sound would be the QP2R...I've never heard anything like it. The software and user interface were both nightmares though and a deal breaker overall. My favorite overall is the n6ii.-- it's got a robust and rich sound that adds some weight to the low end and smooths the treble "just so". Least favorite is the ZX300. I didn't mind it without a frame of reference but compared to the n6ii it sounds very compressed, almost veiled. Plus it hisses...and the Wm1A hisses even more than that. I've heard great things about the Ibasso DX160 in terms of sound quality and the Hiby R5 in terms of interface. The Shanling M5s might be another option, though I've never actually owned it.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #7,382 of 12,035
I've owned and used with Solaris: Fiio M9, Sony ZX300, Questyle QP2R, Cayin n6ii/a01. Favorite sound would be the QP2R...I've never heard anything like it. The software and user interface were both nightmares though and a deal breaker overall. My favorite overall is the n6ii.-- it's got a robust and rich sound that adds some weight to the low end and smooths the treble "just so". Least favorite is the ZX300. I didn't mind it without a frame of reference but compared to the n6ii it sounds very compressed, almost veiled. Plus it hisses...and the Wm1A hisses even more than that. I've heard great things about the Ibasso DX160 in terms of sound quality and the Hiby R5 in terms of interface. The Shanling M5s might be another option, though I've never actually owned it.
I never heard any hiss with the Solaris OG or SE on the WM1A or WM1Z and I'm treble sensitive.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #7,383 of 12,035
I never heard any hiss with the Solaris OG or SE on the WM1A or WM1Z and I'm treble sensitive.
What volume do you normally listen to? Low or high gain?

I don't think treble sensitivity has anything to do with detecting the amplifier noise threshold.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #7,384 of 12,035
What volume do you normally listen to? Low or high gain?

I don't think treble sensitivity has anything to do with detecting the amplifier noise threshold.
Low gain 45-60, high gain 25-45. It varies based on the track format and resolution. DSD seems to need more volume and FLAC 44.1/16 the least and other hi-res format somewhere in-between.

I bet if I did high gain @ max volume there might be some noise during silence but I would never get to that kind of levels.

Most people complain about hiss during silent passages which I don't hear using either gain.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #7,385 of 12,035
Low gain 45-60, high gain 25-45. It varies based on the track format and resolution. DSD seems to need more volume and FLAC 44.1/16 the least and other hi-res format somewhere in-between.

I bet if I did high gain @ max volume there might be some noise during silence but I would never get to that kind of levels.

Most people complain about hiss during silent passages which I don't hear using either gain.
The noise I've heard with the ZX300 and Solaris/Andromeda was not affected by volume setting or by low/high gain setting. In fact, that is why I chose to use high gain with the Andromeda: music was louder but the hissing stayed the same (or at least it increased a lot less than the music). Based on my experience, 25-45 on high gain with the Solaris is roughly the same SPL as 50-90 with the Z1R, which to me is pretty loud. Definitely loud enough to mask the hiss.

Noise in the recording will be equally audible with any player, obviously.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #7,386 of 12,035
I never heard the Solaris on ZX300 but I did have the Andromeda with it and there was very very faint hiss.
With Solaris on WM1A there is definitely louder hiss, not enough to put me off but I could hear it easily enough in quite parts of tracks.

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #7,387 of 12,035
hmm.. interesting topic for SONY WM1A, it is...

my last experience with WM1A last weekend was good, the Hiss is almost black even in High Gain.
That's why I can do Impression with my Solaris OG.
a Typical Sony Warm...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/page-491#post-15413726
Tbh, from 4 times tried WM1A, only the last one was good...

And Modding WM1A, will change the tonality... will look into it again...

what are the best daps for SElaris? i'm looking at n6ii with a01 module, but it's pretty expensive.. what are some of the best options? android needed.
budget? IMO, N6ii one of sweet spot for DAP. for me, i prefer T01 module.

as @Fishdo said, DAP must u try urself, as sometimes you will find new ur sound sig or ur preferable sound sig...
Twister just review R3 Pro, which good in manage Hiss with Solaris.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #7,391 of 12,035
There's hiss on the 1Z, it's very faint though and fairly unnoticeable if you're out and about. I only notice it when I'm in a quiet place and no music is playing.
I remember when I used the Effect Audio Eros II+ 8 wire 4mm Balanced I did hear some hiss, but stopped using it as I didn't like the overall sound with it and went back to ALO cables and no hiss. So maybe the hiss is cable impedance dependent.

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #7,392 of 12,035
Jan 18, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #7,395 of 12,035
I have used a few different cables and DAPs and I have never heard any kind of hiss or noise during or between any of my music...

I wonder if it’s like the great cable debate... only some hear it and it’s just a detail within our own listening..?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back