Campfire - Solaris
Jan 13, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #7,366 of 12,035
I would also say that the bass details are also improved on the SE,.

Agreed...one of the things I noted in my impressions is that the bass is more clear and "less muddy".

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #7,367 of 12,035
Just heard OG with Sony balanced 4.4

ALO Reference 8 > Sony Balanced cable

Sony cable:
+ more comfortable and tactilely pleasant
+ adds a bit of Sony sound - slightly warmer, smoother signature
= less deep scene

ALO Ref 8:
+ adds density at low frequencies
+ bass is more massive, powerful
+ the scene moves deeper
+ overall a fatter sound but no loss anywhere

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #7,369 of 12,035
Thanks for the advice, @smk5r and @Rockwell75! I'm brand-new to the IEM comparison game -- I owned the Andromeda for three years before getting the upgrade itch, so this is the first time I've had 2+ TOTL IEMs in the house to compare and contrast.

Out of curiosity, how do you find the Tia Trio in relation to the other three? In the past, I've found 64Audio offerings a bit boring (U18t and Fourte) but remain open to changing my mind.

I do the vast majority of my listening at work, so I'm usually not listening critically. I've spent the most time with the Trio out of all four (VX, IER-Z1R, Solaris). I find them really easy to listen to for long stretches. They're comfortable and I don't find any part of the tuning distracting. They might not have the same detail retrieval of the VX or the bass slam of the IER-Z1R but they are just a nice, relaxing listen. A significant improvement over the Andromeda for most genres. I could see how the Trio could be characterized as "dull", but I can see myself reaching for them more often than not when I just want a non-distracting listen.

That said, I need to give the other IEMs some quality time at work too. I really like all of them and appreciate their differences.

With Solaris it's absolutely crucial that you use tips that give you a good seal-- the bass will suffer if you don't.

I think I'm getting a pretty good seal, since I've been using Comply foam tips. I haven't tried tip rolling yet -- will give the IER-Z1R tips a try after I've spent some more time with the Solaris on foams.

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #7,370 of 12,035
I do the vast majority of my listening at work, so I'm usually not listening critically. I've spent the most time with the Trio out of all four (VX, IER-Z1R, Solaris). I find them really easy to listen to for long stretches. They're comfortable and I don't find any part of the tuning distracting. They might not have the same detail retrieval of the VX or the bass slam of the IER-Z1R but they are just a nice, relaxing listen. A significant improvement over the Andromeda for most genres. I could see how the Trio could be characterized as "dull", but I can see myself reaching for them more often than not when I just want a non-distracting listen.

I only had a superficial demo of the Trio but funnily enough the Z1R, Solaris and VX were the big 3 that I've owned in the past year. Looking forward to hearing your impressions as you spend more time with them.

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #7,373 of 12,035
Is the Solaris prone to driver flex?

I recently got a pair and when I try to insert the IEMs deep in my ears, I hear a loud "click". It doesn't sound like the bass is lacking or anything, but I'm wondering if that sound is any cause for concern?
That’s driver flex. It can happen with Solaris. Solaris is not nearly as prone to it as the Atlas, but it happens to me occasionally especially if I try to push them in very deep or faster than usually. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Jan 16, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #7,374 of 12,035
Is the Solaris prone to driver flex?

I recently got a pair and when I try to insert the IEMs deep in my ears, I hear a loud "click". It doesn't sound like the bass is lacking or anything, but I'm wondering if that sound is any cause for concern?

I get something like that myself... I was told it’s the sound you get as the seal is formed...

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #7,376 of 12,035
Hello. Could you please give a piece of advice: if it good to use if Iematch for Solaris and Hugo2?
There are any degradation in the sound?
I’ll be very grateful for any advice.
Thank you.
Some people believe it does degrade the sound and some don't. You'd better trust your ears.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #7,377 of 12,035
Hello. Could you please give a piece of advice: if it good to use if Iematch for Solaris and Hugo2?
There are any degradation in the sound?
I’ll be very grateful for any advice.
Thank you.
use ifi earbuddy with Solaris, well, if you really annoy by the Hiss, it does helped...
based on my exp, AMP9 -> ifi earbuddy -> Solaris, we can't compare the usage ifi with vs withour, due to HIss...
compare to AMP9 -> Z1r (OOT, SOorry)... well much better without ifi, first thing you notice is Dynamic and also micro detail will be roll off if you use ifi. But it doesn't mean the sounding become bad....

But like @Arghavan said, better try ur self and believe ur ear...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #7,380 of 12,035
what are the best daps for SElaris? i'm looking at n6ii with a01 module, but it's pretty expensive.. what are some of the best options? android needed.

I am sure the replies to that question will be wide and varied.... and of course you have the other considerations like the cable, output and particularly use... on the go desktop or both etc etc and your requirement of Android.. streaming etc

Personally I have tried a few different DAPs etc... like the A&K SR15, the Cube, Mojo, (with iPhone), iBasso 200, Sony ZX300, Onkyo, Topping, FiiO M11 and the M9.... Ken at CA likes the Cube for the Solaris... personally I was completely underwhelmed by it compared to the price indeed I didn’t hear much difference to the SR15...

personally I preferred the Sony wm1a... I preferred it over all the others I have tried.... and I really liked the ZX300 .... I didn’t enjoy the A&Ks at all....so my thinking is that I prefer the Sony SS generally over others.. so maybe the Sony ZX507 would be worth considering...

And of course there’s the possibility of hiss from some DAPs using the Solaris... so some guys use the iFi match etc but again I found this changed the sound for me especially the soundstage...

So my answer to you would be to try as many as you can before buying.... and if you cannot do that ... then find feedback on the best pairing from people you know have similar hearing to you... it’s not always easy but start with peoples feedback or reviews about iems and DAPs you have used for yourself or that you can test and then see if those people’s reviews or feedback are similar to your own when they describe what they hear from the same or similar equipment you have used and then look at any reviews or feedback they have made about the pairing and from that you will get an idea of how that will sound to you....

It takes time and isn’t perfect but it’s much cheaper than buying and being completely disappointed....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back