Campfire - Solaris
Sep 3, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #6,241 of 12,035
Well i ordered them from Music Direct since CA store has backorders.

Regardless, i am still interested in knowing about what happened with this issue. Sometimes, it might not be apparent in the beginning but over time you begin to notice it and you find yourself out of the return period...

I would not call the issue overblown - it’s been noticed by many listeners in Singapore, Japan, Korea, etc. (i.e. countries in which there are multiple Solaris demo units within reasonably close proximity) - but rather that it is a non-issue for anyone who bought the Solaris already. The fact of the matter is that if you like how the Solaris sounds, including its mid tonality, then you should keep it, and if you don’t, then you shouldn’t.

I can’t say whether the issue is persistent or has since been resolved by Campfire, but even in the worst case that it hasn’t, it’s really is only an problem for buyers who expect a certain sound after auditioning a specific demo unit. In terms of unit matching, CA has always been pretty solid.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #6,242 of 12,035
For what it's worth, @antdroid and I measured our sets, respectively, and they both matched with Crin's Set 2 measurements -- the one he thought sounded the best. It's a small sample set, but Ant and I purchased our units at different times, so it seems like CFA got the unit variation worked issue worked out.

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #6,243 of 12,035
For what it's worth, @antdroid and I measured our sets, respectively, and they both matched with Crin's Set 2 measurements -- the one he thought sounded the best. It's a small sample set, but Ant and I purchased our units at different times, so it seems like CFA got the unit variation worked issue worked out.

Out of curiosity, what measurement rig/calibration file/parameters do you / @antdroid use for your measurements? Perhaps I could replicate them for not only the Solaris here, but also any/all other IEMs I can get my hands on in Korea.

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #6,245 of 12,035
Out of curiosity, what measurement rig/calibration file/parameters do you / @antdroid use for your measurements? Perhaps I could replicate them for not only the Solaris here, but also any/all other IEMs I can get my hands on in Korea.
Ant uses the same mic and coupler as Crin. I have a MiniDSP UMIK-1 with a 711 coupler. My setup is still a work in progress as I have to find a better way to seal the mic as I'm getting some roll off at 100 Hz and 10 KHz. But I've used Room EQ Wizard (REW) to set up a mic calibration that matches Crin's (using the Z1R as a reference point) and my other results line up. This method is problematic to compare exact measurements but it's good enough to fish out unit variance since everything between 100-10K is not compensated.

@csglinux has a great guide to getting started with measurements here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-measurements-on-a-headfi-budget.893084/. It's a fun addition to this hobby that I think everyone should explore. We currently have 3 IEMs going on a world measurement tour so that we can compare our measurement gear using the exact same sets of IEMs. Notables such as Crin, Jude, and Oratory1990 are part of the tour. If you're interested, you can get more info here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ety...phone-for-your-ears-and-your-couplers.908512/.

Sep 3, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #6,246 of 12,035

Ant measured my set and another that was at the August meet and they both measured fine.

Sep 3, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #6,247 of 12,035
Already using silicon custom eartip for around 6 hours...
One of my concern is allergic reaction, so far no issued for this.
although I had the issued with Foam tips.

Soundwise, 2 things I notice when I used CA custom eartips, Bass have body.
And dark background (not hiss), so the separation is very noticeable.

What's missing, High, Spark, upper Hi. Somehow I felt roll off, but not affecting soundstage.

OOT, my Custom Art Eartips can also be pair with my other IEM... TFZ King Pro and CFA Polaris... quite beneficial for me...
20190903_180205.jpg 20190903_175546.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #6,248 of 12,035
Already using silicon custom eartip for around 6 hours...
One of my concern is allergic reaction, so far no issued for this.
although I had the issued with Foam tips.

Soundwise, 2 things I notice when I used CA custom eartips, Bass have body.
And dark background (not hiss), so the separation is very noticeable.

What's missing, High, Spark, upper Hi. Somehow I felt roll off, but not affecting soundstage.

OOT, my Custom Art Eartips can also be pair with my other IEM... TFZ King Pro and CFA Polaris... quite beneficial for me...

How’s the ear insertion? Full silicone IEMs can be a bit tricky to get in at times, so wondering if that issue persists with a minimalist CIEM tip like Custom Art’s.

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #6,249 of 12,035
How’s the ear insertion? Full silicone IEMs can be a bit tricky to get in at times, so wondering if that issue persists with a minimalist CIEM tip like Custom Art’s.
So far no issued for the insertion,
Well I just make a guidance, make sure the letter is on the downside (hmm.. quite difficult to explain). so when I put in my ear, its like a hook...

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #6,250 of 12,035

Been using Custom Art silicone tips dive I got my Solaris - they are really easy to insert and take out, and comfort is excellent.

@fokta - wonder if the perceived loss of highs compared to what you were heading before is more down to the increased seal you are getting with the custom tips, and the associated increase in bass presence?

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #6,251 of 12,035
So far no issued for the insertion,
Well I just make a guidance, make sure the letter is on the downside (hmm.. quite difficult to explain). so when I put in my ear, its like a hook...

Been using Custom Art silicone tips dive I got my Solaris - they are really easy to insert and take out, and comfort is excellent.

Great, thanks! I use a full-size silicone tip for my Andromeda because of the sharp edges, but I was considering getting one from Custom Art in the future for more comfortably shaped universal IEMs.

Sep 4, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #6,252 of 12,035

@fokta - wonder if the perceived loss of highs compared to what you were heading before is more down to the increased seal you are getting with the custom tips, and the associated increase in bass presence?

Sound signature.... Warm yet Detail, was inspired when trying ZMF Verite... Although, the current Solaris is not the same as Verite, but at least is the same track that I am heading...

Somehow the closest I can exp is with this custom eartips.... Cable and DAP approach was not the way to reach my goal...
IMHO....

Additional Seal makes the bass have body (The mid Bass visualize better). @Jackpot77, need to read ur statement repeatly to get ur point. So IMO, the Bass still the same Quantity before using custom tip, but the weighted and decay make it much better visually, so you felt the bass have Body (man, I don't know how to explain rightly...)

I never have a problem with the Solaris old bass presentation...

and Hearing too much clarity, will make u fatigue eventually... so I want to have enjoyable long time listening, with low volume without sacrificing dynamic... that's my goal

edit : never easy to explain what u hear, visually....

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #6,253 of 12,035
I just tried Symbio W tips with my Solaris. The sound is extremely bright with a lot of sibillance. I can't understand why people recommend these tips. I tried them with other IEM and got the same result
Imo Symbio W is not a good combination with Solaris. I paid 15$ for them but they will never be used again :thumbsdown:

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #6,254 of 12,035
I just tried Symbio W tips with my Solaris. The sound is extremely bright with a lot of sibillance. I can't understand why people recommend these tips. I tried them with other IEM and got the same result
Imo Symbio W is not a good combination with Solaris. I paid 15$ for them but they will never be used again :thumbsdown:
sounds like you cant get a good seal with them, but i prefer the Spiral Dots over them too :) check them out with Solaris

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #6,255 of 12,035
The issue for me is that it's described as V-shaped, and I'm pretty sure my preference is more in the U-shaped spectrum. I would not describe myself as a basshead, and I'm way more into the punchy impact than the low rumble. I listen to indie rock, electronic, neosoul... stuff with vocals, and having never listened to a V-shaped IEM, I hesitate to shell out $2300 without hearing them first. I'm also concerned about the reported lack of control in the Legend X's low-end. At this point in my online buying journey, I'm weary of purchases that don't fully satisfy. And, yeah, I could own multiple IEMs, but my nature is to want one that I stick with, because every time I change from one to another, the contrast reminds me of what's lacking. I know, I know, stooopid hooman brayne, but it's easier for me to pick one and just get used to whatever may be lacking.
I didn't really like the Legend X, to be frank. It had a little too much mid-bass, which made the IEM sound a little too overwhelming.. and fatiguing. Since I was able to audition these earphones together, the contrast between the 2 flagships was rather apparent. It's not a bad IEM at all; it's just not my cup of tea. If the Legend X is on your watchlist, I'd highly recommend that you listen to one first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back