Campfire - Solaris
Sep 1, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #6,196 of 12,035
I dis-agree. I find the Sony Z1R to sound way better than the Solaris, Solaris with its thinish midrange and lack of bass.
With the right fit and source , Solaris has great bass :) sure there are iems out there with more mids , but "thinish" isnt true... maybe you had a bad fit

With Solaris as the starting point, what would be some superior hybrid IEMs (no price limit) that can match the amazing Solaris soundstage? I have no doubt that I'd love the Z1R's low end, but in general, I prefer to keep dynamic drivers as far away from the high end as possible, and from what I've read, I'm pretty sure I would prefer the the Solaris's BAs over the Z1R's DD.

EE Legend X has even better soundstage to my ears

Sep 1, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #6,197 of 12,035
Sep 1, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #6,198 of 12,035
Probably my next impulse buy. I wish it was easier to demo around here.

If you’re getting hit with customs fees regardless (not sure how US imports work in Canada?), I’d take a look at the limited edition versions offered in Japan. For some reason, MSRP is cheaper there, and you can get it serviced at Empire Ears regardless of where you get them.

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #6,199 of 12,035
I see that's a copper cable. I was under the impression that SPC was a better choice for the Solaris. Is that not the case?
Yes, SPC would be a better choice

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #6,200 of 12,035
If you’re getting hit with customs fees regardless (not sure how US imports work in Canada?), I’d take a look at the limited edition versions offered in Japan. For some reason, MSRP is cheaper there, and you can get it serviced at Empire Ears regardless of where you get them.

How are the limited edition ones different? The way imports work is that you pay customs fees on anything over $100, however many sellers slyly mark the declared value as less than that to avoid any fees. I would be buying used as it's easier to flip at less of a loss if I decide not to keep it. In any case I have an Anole VX coming in the mail this week so that should keep me occupied for a while :)

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #6,201 of 12,035
How are the limited edition ones different? The way imports work is that you pay customs fees on anything over $100, however many sellers slyly mark the declared value as less than that to avoid any fees. I would be buying used as it's easier to flip at less of a loss if I decide not to keep it. In any case I have an Anole VX coming in the mail this week so that should keep me occupied for a while :)

Ah if you’re buying used then it’s a moot point :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The limited edition ones sound the same but have different (imo nicer) designs. One has a red burl plate with a clear shell and the other has a brushed gold plate with a clear shell. I just mentioned it as a possible option since if you’re getting hit with import duties regardless, the ~$100 cheaper Japanese MSRP would likely offset the cheaper shipping costs from the US.

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #6,202 of 12,035
Ah if you’re buying used then it’s a moot point :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The limited edition ones sound the same but have different (imo nicer) designs. One has a red burl plate with a clear shell and the other has a brushed gold plate with a clear shell. I just mentioned it as a possible option since if you’re getting hit with import duties regardless, the ~$100 cheaper Japanese MSRP would likely offset the cheaper shipping costs from the US.

https://www.myheadfi.com/product-tag/pre-owned/

This guy has lots of good used gear (and he ships free from China) and I think he had one of those LX's not too long ago. He's been a pleasure to deal with and has lots of good gear ad negotiable prices. I won't say anything more though as this is the wrong thread.

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #6,203 of 12,035
I see that's a copper cable. I was under the impression that SPC was a better choice for the Solaris. Is that not the case?
Yes... For me now, is the best pairing for Solaris. Try in TRRS... it will be more engaging Fun...

using pure silver is good if u want more clarity, but compensate in Body bass (rumble will be detail, but much less puncy).

And DAP will take a huge part in to the cable as well.. that's why is must be a combo

Yes, SPC would be a better choice
+1

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #6,205 of 12,035
Back in the 1980s, I upgraded from cheap OEM cables to quality interconnects and the sound definitely improved. Ever since then, I've always made modest offerings of green rectangles to the cable gods, but I don't go overboard with it. Honestly, I doubt I'd be able to hear any difference between a $100 and $1000 IEM cable. On a whim, I ordered a Fiio balanced SPC IEM cable because I remembered how comfortable the FH7 cable is, and comfort seems to be something Fiio does well.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #6,206 of 12,035
Back in the 1980s, I upgraded from cheap OEM cables to quality interconnects and the sound definitely improved. Ever since then, I've always made modest offerings of green rectangles to the cable gods, but I don't go overboard with it. Honestly, I doubt I'd be able to hear any difference between a $100 and $1000 IEM cable. On a whim, I ordered a Fiio balanced SPC IEM cable because I remembered how comfortable the FH7 cable is, and comfort seems to be something Fiio does well.
I use Fiio lc4.4D with Solaris , the cable is very soft and comfy to wear :)

The pure silver adds no color to sound , which is in my ears an improvement :)

Very clean and clear

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #6,207 of 12,035
Hello Solaris owners,
Could you please give me a recommendation for a good soft cable that improve a little the bass without impacting the soundstage? I have the Ares II and the FiiO cables in my shortlist but there might be better options. My budget is around 200$
Thanks

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #6,208 of 12,035
Hello Solaris owners,
Could you please give me a recommendation for a good soft cable that improve a little the bass without impacting the soundstage? I have the Ares II and the FiiO cables in my shortlist but there might be better options. My budget is around 200$
Thanks

Not tried it with Solaris as I have the 2-pin version, but if you can stretch to $299 then the Dunu Hulk is a cable worth looking into. Soft, thick and sounds really good on my 2-pin TOTL IEMs like Stealth Sonics C9 and EE Zeus. It also has the benefit of interchangeable connectors so you can use it with 3.5mm, 2.5mm and 4.4mm sources just by swapping cable connectors.

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #6,209 of 12,035
Not tried it with Solaris as I have the 2-pin version, but if you can stretch to $299 then the Dunu Hulk is a cable worth looking into. Soft, thick and sounds really good on my 2-pin TOTL IEMs like Stealth Sonics C9 and EE Zeus. It also has the benefit of interchangeable connectors so you can use it with 3.5mm, 2.5mm and 4.4mm sources just by swapping cable connectors.
Thank you for the recommendation, but it is a little over my budget

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #6,210 of 12,035
WRT Solaris vs Legend X, is there a difference in sound between them that can be attributed to tube vs tubeless on the BAs? I see tubeless designs touted as superior, and I'm curious if the Solaris is doing something super wonderful that the Legend X can't because it has tubes. Or, can tube and tubeless designs both deliver equally excellent sound, provided they're well designed/tuned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back